The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

27 minutes ago, gurn said:

Many out of province licence plates on the ferry. Expected on the commercial rigs, but too many personal vehicles. They can not all be essential travel, especially the motorhomes. :(

Nope definitely not(at the ferry right know lots of moubtain bikes boats and campers coming over)

Gonna be a busy weekend

Good time for a wildcat strike.

Edited by Violator
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

10,000 people in Vancouver for the protest...most wearing masks, some not.  We'll see what this means for our COVID numbers.

Also...saw an awful lot of Alberta, California and other plates today.  Nervous time as we wait to see what unfolds down the road.

Be safe everyone.  Not out of the woods yet.

Dr Bonnie Henry’s official theme music...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Dr. Bonnie "gets it".

The you attract more flies with honey than vinegar thing.  Rather than a full on hit 'em over the head with a stick and make them obey deal.

People like to feel like they're in control and have some sense of power in their lives...so, for the most part, it's worked.  It's the groups of "I am bigger than this thing" people who, from what I've seen, laugh in the face of danger.  From about a foot away from you/me.  They have something to prove but, for me, it mostly proves they're kind of dumb because if experts recommend something to keep us all safe, why play with fire?

Worried about the impact the protest in Vancouver will have on COVID.  Fully support the movement, just worried about the people who were doing shoulder to shoulder and yelling/singing/chanting within close proximity of each other.  Time will tell, but it's a good time to play it cool in a wait and see for my family and I.  Don't want to be caught up in a spike without trying to avoid it.  

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Dr. Bonnie "gets it".

The you attract more flies with honey than vinegar thing.  Rather than a full on hit 'em over the head with a stick and make them obey deal.

People like to feel like they're in control and have some sense of power in their lives...so, for the most part, it's worked.  It's the groups of "I am bigger than this thing" people who, from what I've seen, laugh in the face of danger.  From about a foot away from you/me.  They have something to prove but, for me, it mostly proves they're kind of dumb because if experts recommend something to keep us all safe, why play with fire?

Worried about the impact the protest in Vancouver will have on COVID.  Fully support the movement, just worried about the people who were doing shoulder to shoulder and yelling/singing/chanting within close proximity of each other.  Time will tell, but it's a good time to play it cool in a wait and see for my family and I.  Don't want to be caught up in a spike without trying to avoid it.  

Fortunately, those people seem to be in the minority.  I worry how loud they'll get though if we need to start clamping down again if/when a 2nd wave comes.  I can already hear them saying "aw, it wasn't that bad last time".

The protests may tell us how much Covid-19 is still in the community.  Yesterday we were down to 193 known active cases in BC so fingers crossed.  I truly hope those at the protests, at the very least, minimize their contact with the public as much as possible for the next few weeks.  And if the numbers don't spike, I hope this doesn't give people false confidence that everything is back to normal.  Because if enough people let their guard down, it'll spread again fast.

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Dr. Bonnie "gets it".

Dr. Henry is proof that there are many ways to be a successful leader, its not all who's the biggest guy in the room yelling at you. Its amazing to me that some people still don't seem to trust her judgement... but thats a pretty small group. 

Watching the protest on the news it did seem like the majority of people were being smart with masks and apparently they were also handing them out along with free hand sanitizer so that and with it being outdoors I'm hopeful this won't be another source. My daughter has a room mate thats been to these, she wasn't thrilled because she wanted to visit her grandparents but now thinks its best to wait and see. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I went to pick up something at a store.

A few cops here and there on each intersection.

I come back out of the store.

BOOM.

2B3B68C8-14CA-4A18-B2E9-18D9645B5A45.jpeg

9396CB78-6EA9-4368-B472-FD44A52D4796.jpeg

At least some are wearing masks, but no social distancing is happening. You live in Toronto?

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

At least some are wearing masks, but no social distancing is happening. You live in Toronto?

Yeah this is Dundas near Bathurst.

Queen St is boarded up.

Yongue St is boarded up

Bloor St is boarded up

Montreal looters are in town and will try to start some riots tonight...

Helicopters up in the skies since 8am

I went to cops to thank them for their services and asked why they weren’t wearing masks. They had their industrial masks with them but still wrapped. One of them said they were tested already and are social distancing from the crowd.

I guess the one that said that, felt his own words coming out of his mouth and proceeded to put a mask on by the time I had crossed the street.

I have self distanced and worm a mask every time I’ve been out, avoided crowds, walking at night instead of during the day, rarely physically shopping. I thought, I’d go to the store very quickly since I had accumulated a hefty list...

Then, like sun to a thunderstorm, there was no one when I went in, and when I came out, there was everyone.

From what I gather everyone is going to Yonge & Bloor to protest. So the main streets that run from West to East toward Dundas Square (Toronto’s Times Square) are packed.

If there are as many people on Dundas St as I have seen, then Dundas Square will be filled faster than they can control it. And that Square is blocks away from Yonge & Bloor.

Dundas Square is that place where that dude ran people over with a white van.

71E99F69-92DE-4BA0-B15E-39E61B33C49D.jpeg

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1

@Me_Yeash, sounds like a real sh*t show out there. I live in the Okanagan in BC and the number of people on the roads, shopping etc is two fold since last week, not a lot of distancing happening and almost no one is wearing a mask. We have not been hit hard by this in the Okanagan, so people are being stupid about it, not being careful. Noticing a lot more Alberta plates in town too, I thought we supposed to stay in our own provinces for now?

Anyway, I recognize the area in your photos as my 1st wife (sadly deceased many years ago), had family in that area.

Stay safe and healthy.

Edited by CaptKirk888
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Yeash, sounds like a real sh*t show out there. I live in the Okanagan in BC and the number of people on the roads, shopping etc is two fold since last week, not a lot of distancing happening and almost no one is wearing a mask. We have not been hit hard by this in the Okanagan, so people are being stupid about it, not being careful. Noticing a lot more Alberta plates in town too, I thought we supposed to stay in our own provinces for now?

Anyway, I recognize the area in your photos as my 1st wife (sadly deceased many years ago), had family in that area.

Stay safe and healthy.

Oh I’m home. I ain’t going out again tonight. 
A constant flow of people on my residential street. 

If the residential streets are filled, the main streets are packed.

The night the Raptors won.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

Bit concerned that we're getting complacent, stopped at Walmart at Queensborough on my way home from golf, probably around 3:30.  It was quite busy, not a regular Saturday afternoon but the busiest I've seen since mid March.  Very few people wearing masks, and people oblivious to all the directional arrows on the floor, not respectful of social distancing at all.  I know there isn't a lot of COVID seemingly in our region but all it takes is a few people bringing it in from somewhere and we're off and running again.  

One thing I've been happy to see is Club16 opening up again.  I've been twice now, and they are doing a decent job of distancing.  Arrows, machines blocked off, only a certain number of people at a time.  I'm pretty careful of cleaning all the equipment I use since I work in a gym normally so conscious of safety and cleanliness.