The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Dr. Bonnie  / Horgan protect  BC ferry workers but not BC teachers... BC students..

Even Dollar store provides masks for their workers...

Passengers will be required to wear a mask when two metres of physical separation cannot be maintained on a vessel

https://theprovince.com/news/covid-19-b-c-ferries-will-soon-require-masks-on-mosts-sailings/wcm/2dbce10f-dc13-4c39-a9e9-9aa95b5009c3

Edited by kingofsurrey

Anyone here living in a strata complex that has had their gym facility re-open up yet ? How did it go ? Just the gym not the pool.

We are debating ours now and of course strata is hesitant to give it a go to see if residents abide by the new rules as it is a non-essential service. the problem is if we wait idly by until there are no restrictions placed upon reopening we will be waiting forever. 

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/bc-restart-plan  

Phase 2

May 19, 2020 – Current

In this phase, we are asking people to stay close to home and avoid any travel between communities that is not essential.

Under enhanced protocols:

• Restoration of health services
    • Re-scheduling elective surgery
  • Medically related services:
    • Dentistry, physiotherapy, registered massage therapy, and chiropractors
    • Physical therapy, speech therapy, and similar services
  • Retail sector
  • Hair salons, barbers, and other personal service establishments
  • In-person counselling
  • Restaurants, cafes, and pubs (with sufficient distancing measures)
  • Museums, art galleries, and libraries
  • Office-based worksites
  • Recreation and sports
  • Parks, beaches, and outdoor spaces
  • Child care

14 hours ago, wloutet said:

Can anyone tell me why China, with all that land and all those people, has to grab Taiwan, Hong Kong and Tibet?

Historically, all those territories were part of China dating back to the peak of Qing dynasty.  

0ff9341b0e31fb94f0693669704ed7c1.jpg

HK was lost due to humiliating opium war with UK in 1841, and returned to China in 1997.  The deal was it will be under special administrative region for 50 yrs to ease the transition.  The ironic thing is, HK people never had a democracy under UK rule.  They were just happy to make money with no sense of nationalism.  Living as a subject under an imperial colony, a second class citizen.  After China took over, they all of a sudden want democracy.  Westerners love to encourage protests and sow discontent because they are "pro democracy and human rights".  UK now talks about allowing million of HK people to emigrate to UK.  I say they should do it.  Let those want to leave, leave.

As for Taiwan, it is a province of China historically (it along with Korea, became a colony of Japan, after another humiliating loss during the Sino-Japanese war in late1800s, and both returned post war).  The island became a refuge for the Chinese nationalist government after they lost the civil war vs Mao's communist party post WWII.  In fact, the official name on Taiwanese passport is Republic of China, the founding government of China in 1911 after the revolution overthrew the Qing dynasty.  If you went to school in Taiwan as late as early 1980s, the textbooks show a map of Republic of China that incudes all of China plus Mongolia, with Nanking as the capital (the capital of China, before Mao moved it to Beijing later).

main-qimg-718daeeba52317c6b60872f1de8adc

ROC_Administrative_and_Claims.svg

The slogan in Taiwan during the 50's and on was to "defeat the commies, and reclaim the motherland".  During the Korean War, McArthur wanted to invade China via Korea, and Taiwan invade from the south.  Truman fired him to prevent a WWIII.  But now, people in Taiwan no longer want to reclaim the motherland.  They are too weak militarily to do it.  It's like North and South Korea.  Same people, different government.  The difference is that Communist China is so much more powerful both economically and militarily.  But the desire to reunite or defeat their political opponent remains in China, but much less so in Taiwan.  Also ironically, the so called pro-democracy and anti-communist USA abandoned Taiwan and kicked them out of permanent security seat at the UN because Nixon wanted China to side with the US instead of USSR during the cold war.  Talk about sellout.  Money and power over principles. 

Tibet currently is part of China.  Post WWII, Mao reclaimed it as borders were weakened during the war with Japanese and civil war after that.  It was under the Qing rule.  It's not unlike Russia taking Crimea.  We may not like it, but who is going to go to war with China to fight about it?  We may not like the treatment of Tibetans, who are ethnic group officially recognized in China (there are more than 50 ethnic groups, the majority is Han over 90%).  From their point of view, it's an internal matter and they hate foreigners interfering.  It's like if China is encouraging Quebecois to separate from Canada, or encourage Native Americans to reclaim their land.  We would tell them to eff off.    

To answer your question, the overall theme is nationalism and return to glory.  For most of written history,  China and India are among the top GDP countries in the world.  Different dynasties came and went, with cycles of strength and weakness.  China is assuming its place in the world again.  It was strong for most of its history of 3000 yrs.  It was weak from 1800s to 1950, a time that is relatively short over its history.  Foreigners invaded China and cut up its territories like a pig.  Humiliating defeats and unfair treaties marked much of the 19th and early 20th century.  So even if they don't need a small island like Taiwan or HK, they see it as part of its territory to reclaim.                   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html?fbclid=IwAR1UJ2wxVQalI5KHnfUlUr-CPK3mR6AjRl-usfIMFbLgGm6oL6Pcb5IkTI0

Research is showing that asymptomatic spread seems to be rare, although it does occur. This is great news. Symptomatic peeps just need stay home, isolate and get tested, which would seriously decrease the infection rate. 

35 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html?fbclid=IwAR1UJ2wxVQalI5KHnfUlUr-CPK3mR6AjRl-usfIMFbLgGm6oL6Pcb5IkTI0

Research is showing that asymptomatic spread seems to be rare, although it does occur. This is great news. Symptomatic peeps just need stay home, isolate and get tested, which would seriously decrease the infection rate. 

If that's true (which I hope it is) it doesn't say much about the idiots that have symptoms that are going out and coughing all over the place infecting others.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Looking like no  out of country USA / Canada travel till 2021....

Wow.....

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. I feel like I've been saying things weren't going to end any time soon for a couple of months and got called out for "doom and gloom" (not trying to say "I told you so" to anyone though for the record. I wanted to be wrong).

It sucks. It really does.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. I feel like I've been saying things weren't going to end any time soon for a couple of months and got called out for "doom and gloom" (not trying to say "I told you so" to anyone though for the record. I wanted to be wrong).

It sucks. It really does.

Inter-provincial travel is just fine by me til 2021 I still have so much of Beautiful BC to explore

16 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Anyone here living in a strata complex that has had their gym facility re-open up yet ? How did it go ? Just the gym not the pool.

We are debating ours now and of course strata is hesitant to give it a go to see if residents abide by the new rules as it is a non-essential service. the problem is if we wait idly by until there are no restrictions placed upon reopening we will be waiting forever. 

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/bc-restart-plan  

Phase 2

May 19, 2020 – Current

In this phase, we are asking people to stay close to home and avoid any travel between communities that is not essential.

Under enhanced protocols:

• Restoration of health services
    • Re-scheduling elective surgery
  • Medically related services:
    • Dentistry, physiotherapy, registered massage therapy, and chiropractors
    • Physical therapy, speech therapy, and similar services
  • Retail sector
  • Hair salons, barbers, and other personal service establishments
  • In-person counselling
  • Restaurants, cafes, and pubs (with sufficient distancing measures)
  • Museums, art galleries, and libraries
  • Office-based worksites
  • Recreation and sports
  • Parks, beaches, and outdoor spaces
  • Child care

As far as I know, neither the gym nor pool/hot tub will be re-opened anytime soon in our condo