The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

19 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Anyone here living in a strata complex that has had their gym facility re-open up yet ? How did it go ? Just the gym not the pool.

We are debating ours now and of course strata is hesitant to give it a go to see if residents abide by the new rules as it is a non-essential service. the problem is if we wait idly by until there are no restrictions placed upon reopening we will be waiting forever. 

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/bc-restart-plan  

Phase 2

May 19, 2020 – Current

In this phase, we are asking people to stay close to home and avoid any travel between communities that is not essential.

Under enhanced protocols:

• Restoration of health services
    • Re-scheduling elective surgery
  • Medically related services:
    • Dentistry, physiotherapy, registered massage therapy, and chiropractors
    • Physical therapy, speech therapy, and similar services
  • Retail sector
  • Hair salons, barbers, and other personal service establishments
  • In-person counselling
  • Restaurants, cafes, and pubs (with sufficient distancing measures)
  • Museums, art galleries, and libraries
  • Office-based worksites
  • Recreation and sports
  • Parks, beaches, and outdoor spaces
  • Child care

Condo Smarts: Plenty to consider before re-opening shared facilities

The absolute first priority is the safety of residents, council, property manager, service providers, contractors and emergency responders.

Published on: June 4, 2020 | Last Updated: June 4, 2020 10:26 AM EDT
gettyimages-1189862377.jpg?w=840&h=630&c

If your strata community is four units or more and you have a swimming pool or hot tub, it is classed under the Pool Regulation as a commercial pool and the operations must adhere to the provincial regulations. GETTY IMAGES

Dear Tony:

Our strata corporation share’s a central community facility with five other properties. There is a club house for meetings of up to 100 people, a kitchen and lounge, fitness centre, change rooms and showers for the pool and hot tubs, a tennis court and a barbecue and terrace to host gatherings.

Since the restrictions were first imposed, we shut down all operations; however, we are now getting a significant amount of pressure to open the pool, fitness centre and club room to host meetings.

Our joint properties met last week to determine the requirements and were left confused over the protocols that are required before we can re-open, and how we manage the facilities. Several council members all sent the same emails to our health authority and received all slightly different answers. So, even at this level it is not 100 per cent clear.

Is there an easy checklist that strata councils can review before they provide access to their facilities?

STORY CONTINUES BELOW

—Sherrie Milne

Dear Sherrie:

Yes, we all want to be able to open our joint facilities. If we can manage our operations safely, it would help ease the stress of isolation that we have all experienced, and enable our communities to resume the “new normal” of operations.

Post signs with clear instructions on use and social distancing.

It is critical for all strata corporations and councils across British Columbia to understand the priorities and the regulations that apply. Strata corporations are legal entities that have all the rights and responsibilities of a person, such as the ability to buy, sell and mortgage property, they file annual tax returns, invest money for return, sue or may be sued, and hire contractors and service providers.

What this means is a strata corporation must also comply with the regulations of building operations, employment standards, WorkSafe, public orders, local government bylaws and orders, Technical Safety B.C. regulations and orders, local health authorities and pool regulations. If your community is four units or more and you have a swimming pool or hot tub, it is classed under the Pool Regulation as a commercial pool and the operations must adhere to the provincial regulations. Risks to sanitation, water quality and public safety in relation to the pool are prescribed as health hazards. The restart of a dormant pool also poses a health risk for the legionella bacteria and operators or staff must take precautions.

Don’t leave the responsibility up to residents on a self-serve basis. In spite of pool signs and requirements, many users rarely shower before they enter the pool so the likelihood of other compliance is remote. Will someone screen users before they enter the facility? Shared change rooms, showers and washrooms will also require a high level of cleaning, handwashing stations and public education. Post signs with clear instructions on use and social distancing.

The absolute first priority is public safety of your residents, council, property manager, service providers, contractors and emergency responders.

Review your property as a workplace as well as your residential community. Do you have any employees? Many strata corporations employ janitorial staff, a lobby concierge, site managers, landscaping staff, service providers and sub contractors. If they are working on your site, you are responsible.

Have you reviewed the best practice guidelines provided by WorkSafe? Have you developed a safe work plan for your staff? Have you developed a plan to manage confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19 to manage or report an exposure to COVID-19 or suspected exposure? Have you developed human resource policies to support sick leaves and self isolation? Have you provided your staff with the training and the protective equipment they require while working on your site? Have you established staff policies to ensure their safety?

If you are considering opening your pool, hot tub, or gym, both Interior Health and Island Health have published an excellent guideline for gyms and fitness centres and these provide a framework for managing facilities as well as checklists on screening and identifying users, behaviour in the facilities, appropriate use and frequency on cleaning high-touch surfaces and management of users in the facilities.

We would all like a clear order on what we can or cannot do with our facilities. This decision is often subject to the economic and human resources of each strata corporation provided they can meet the requirements that apply to each region. If your strata corporation cannot ensure the safety of your users, your staff and contractors, then opening your facilities will  place everyone at risk.

What will your next action be if there is an outbreak originating from your strata corporation as a result of mismanagement of your facilities? We are encouraged to stay within our bubble, but if we are gathering in recreational facilities and compromise social distancing or contact, we place everyone in our community at risk.

It is important to remember that many strata corporations in destination communities will also be exposed to transient users who are accessing their vacation homes and using Airbnbs. These persons will be much more difficult to screen and assess and may pose a greater threat to your community, or may be exposed and return to their own community.

We are still limited to gathering in groups of up to 50 people, if social distancing is possible. A good rule of thumb for gatherings allowing for social distancing is 15 per cent of what is normal. If your hall limit is 100 for meetings, 15 per cent or 15 people is likely the maximum allowed to enable social distancing.

For more information go to Worksafe.ca, gov.bc.ca or contact your regional health board.

Tony Gioventu, Executive Director CHOA

Tony Gioventu is executive director of the Condominium Home Owners Association. Email tony@choa.bc.ca

https://www.thesudburystar.com/life/homes/condos/condo-smarts-plenty-to-consider-before-re-opening-community-facilities/wcm/f3503394-1101-4a81-99bf-ec98547be157

We have a sauna that I am itching to use - though it's a shared facility only one person uses it at a time so as long as I disinfect before using I sohlud be good to go, hope this article helps.  

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Looking like no  out of country USA / Canada travel till 2021....

Wow.....

Oh...no... what will I do?(haven't left the country since 9/11):bigblush:

Personally I hope they keep the borders closed to the public for a loooong ass time.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

https://www.thesudburystar.com/life/homes/condos/condo-smarts-plenty-to-consider-before-re-opening-community-facilities/wcm/f3503394-1101-4a81-99bf-ec98547be157

We have a sauna that I am itching to use - though it's a shared facility only one person uses it at a time so as long as I disinfect before using I sohlud be good to go, hope this article helps.  

Thanks man yeah I saw that article in my searches. It's frustrating because we are the mercy of strata council - I know other complexes have opened their gym.  My parents townhouse complex in Osoyoos even re-opened their indoor pool. Family units just need to sign up for a 1 hour block to use it. Sigh, strata life struggles I suppose.

We are basing our new protocols off the WorkSafe BC safety plan requirements since my strata has some employees too.

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/about-us/covid-19-updates/covid-19-returning-safe-operation/gyms-and-fitness-centres

https://www.fraserhealth.ca/health-topics-a-to-z/coronavirus/guidance-for-gyms-and-fitness-centres#.Xtp6ZhRKiUn 

11 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Inter-provincial travel is just fine by me til 2021 I still have so much of Beautiful BC to explore

I was hoping to move abroad. lol

Then again, I might still be able to look at somewhere like New Zealand which doesn't even have cases now apparently.

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I was hoping to move abroad. lol

Then again, I might still be able to look at somewhere like New Zealand which doesn't even have cases now apparently.

Pretty sure their borders are closed for the forseeable future.  Ain't no one getting into NZ for awhile I don't think

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Just reading on the rugby web sites that New Zealand's Super rugby competition will resume this week, with NO crowd restrictions. The competition is among 5 New Zealand teams, no outside teams. They are expecting crowds of up to 35,000 to attend. New Zealand's population estimated in June, 2019 as 4,917,000 is similar to BC's population.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Just reading on the rugby web sites that New Zealand's Super rugby competition will resume this week, with NO crowd restrictions. The competition is among 5 New Zealand teams, no outside teams. They are expecting crowds of up to 35,000 to attend. New Zealand's population estimated in June, 2019 as 4,917,000 is similar to BC's population.

they have the advantage of being able to completely isolate, so it's easier for them to return to normal.  The highways in the Okanagan are jammed full of Alberta and Saskatchewan plates........clearly we aren't able to isolate.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Oh...no... what will I do?(haven't left the country since 9/11):bigblush:

Personally I hope they keep the borders closed to the public for a loooong ass time.

mmmm

really ?

were you in nyc last?

what were you doing there at that critical time?

do you have an affinity for explosives and deep anti usa sentiments?

just asking for a friend ??

:towel:

Edited by coastal.view

19 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

My first reaction is to say, "Yah, right on!". But having spent yesterday golfing with a Victoria cab driver, I learned how much the tourism in Victoria, and Vancouver, and Whistler etc, depends upon the US tourists. If I deny the border from opening, I am thinking more of myself (I never go there anyhow!!) than of the people who depend upon tourists for a living.

2 minutes ago, wloutet said:

My first reaction is to say, "Yah, right on!". But having spent yesterday golfing with a Victoria cab driver, I learned how much the tourism in Victoria, and Vancouver, and Whistler etc, depends upon the US tourists. If I deny the border from opening, I am thinking more of myself (I never go there anyhow!!) than of the people who depend upon tourists for a living.

um

really?

you are putting my name on a quote

when you are not quoting me ?

exactly why ?

The Canada-US border closure has been extended to the end of July

OTTAWA — Canada and the United States are set to extend a ban on non-essential travel to late July as both countries seek to control the spread of the coronavirus, according to three sources familiar with the matter.

Washington and Ottawa introduced month-long restrictions in March and renewed them in April and May. The ban, currently due to expire on June 21, does not affect trade.

Canadian and U.S. sources said although the governments had not yet taken a final decision, a further extension was highly likely.

“It’s going to be a clean rollover” on June 21, said a U.S. source who requested anonymity given the sensitivity of the situation. “We will want to look at it again in July.”

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security was not immediately available for comment.

Data show that while the outbreak is slowing across the 10 Canadian provinces, new cases show little sign of abating in Toronto and Montreal, the country’s two largest cities.

Edited by nuckin_futz

15 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you are putting my name on a quote

when you are not quoting me ?

exactly why ?

I'm sorry, I thought I used the quote from "TreMac", but looking at it, it was your copy of TreMac's quote, so it came out as you. Very sorry.

3 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I'm sorry, I thought I used the quote from "TreMac", but looking at it, it was your copy of TreMac's quote, so it came out as you. Very sorry.

I've been caught by that a couple of times.

25 minutes ago, wloutet said:

An out of country tourist spends typically over 50% more than a CDN tourist would spend...

So even having increased local tourists..... this will not create same revenues as international tourist...

Going to be a very tough year ahead for any company's involved in hospitality. / tourism. 

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

mmmm

really ?

were you in nyc last?

what were you doing there at that critical time?

do you have an affinity for explosives and deep anti usa sentiments?

just asking for a friend ??

:towel:

Furthest I've been in 'merica is down to the Gorge in Washington State.  When 9/11 happened iirc they started requiring everyone have a passport(which i still think is BS) so I said eff that.  Zero regrets.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Yeah I am pretty popular round these parts

Spoiler

:sadno:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1