The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, Petey40 said:

Sure you can have an opinion. But what’s your idea? Just let people run out of money and not be able to pay rent or afford food? People are complaining about the money Trudeau is using to help those in need but not suggesting any alternative option to help those that need it.

I don't have any brilliant ideas unfortunately but I would at least like to see a sliding scale of the CERB funds to encourage people to look for a job instead of being complicit sitting on their behind collecting $2K each month to scrape by.

Is the government going to subsidize people forever? Why are there seemingly very little checks/balances around distributing the money ? When is the end date ?  What are the tax hikes going to look at like after all this ? 

When I read crap like this article how can a taxpayer not be concerned ?  And then Jagmeet says he does not want to penalize/imprison those that purposely fraud the system ?  My country is handing out money like candy in my view and inviting people to take advantage. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-four-hour-limit-on-mps-to-review-pandemic-spending-unfortunate-to/ 

Four-hour limit on MPs to review pandemic spending ‘unfortunate, to say the least,’ PBO says 

https://nationalpost.com/news/singh-says-ndp-wont-support-liberal-bill-that-would-jail-fine-cerb-fraudsters

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I don't have any brilliant ideas unfortunately but I would at least like to see a sliding scale of the CERB funds to encourage people to look for a job instead of being complicit sitting on their behind collecting $2K each month to scrape by.

Is the government going to subsidize people forever? Why are there seemingly very little checks/balances around distributing the money ? When is the end date ?  What are the tax hikes going to look at like after all this ? 

When I read crap like this article how can a taxpayer not be concerned ?  And then Jagmeet says he does not want to penalize/imprison those that purposely fraud the system ?  My country is handing out money like candy in my view and inviting people to take advantage. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-four-hour-limit-on-mps-to-review-pandemic-spending-unfortunate-to/ 

Four-hour limit on MPs to review pandemic spending ‘unfortunate, to say the least,’ PBO says 

https://nationalpost.com/news/singh-says-ndp-wont-support-liberal-bill-that-would-jail-fine-cerb-fraudsters

Sorry didn’t mean to sound so condescending. I agree with what you’re saying in that there should be more checks and balances that regulate the financial assistance programs. 

It made sense in the beginning because of the massive influx of people losing their jobs, but now that our country is starting to reopen perhaps they should be pushing people to get back to work instead of relying on CERB. 

I also don’t agree that anyone should face jail time for applying for the funds when they didn’t need them, but they should 100% be required to repay them in full. 

IMO it’s impossible to say when the payments will come to an end because they can’t predict or control COVID-19, all they can to is implement actions based on the current information and evidence they have. 

Edited by Petey40
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Sorry didn’t mean to sound so condescending. I agree with what you’re saying in that there should be more checks and balances that regulate the financial assistance programs. 

It made sense in the beginning because of the massive influx of people losing their jobs, but now that our country is starting to reopen perhaps they should be pushing people to get back to work instead of relying on CERB. 

I also don’t agree that anyone should face jail time for applying for the funds when they didn’t need them, but they should 100% be required to repay them in full. 

IMO it’s impossible to say when the payments will come to an end because they can’t predict or control COVID-19, all they can to is implement actions based on the current information and evidence they have. 

The problem is when you take the approach of handing out the money now and attempting to claw back repayments later, that is another administrative burden that has a tremendous cost to it within the CRA. Identifying, Investigating, Auditing, Collecting. Repeat.

Also - our country is already in tremendous debt - as are many others - so we don't have tax dollars to waste. I'm not saying that helping those currently in need is a waste but from my view of the CERB and CEWS program there is going to be a lot of undetected waste that got distributed. And our elected MPs only got 4 hours to review unprecedented funding levels. Its a crazy time for sure. 

There needs to be more of a penalty besides repaying the initial amount - especially for fraudsters that knowingly accessed the funds - but the smart ones will likely cover their tracks anyway. It will be the small fish that get the book thrown at them unfortunately. My other beef with the CERB is a lot of people that I know personally receiving the money did not have any major bills to pay to begin with. Most were auxiliary or part time student workers that live with their parents and are now overjoyed to be receiving $2k each month while basically on vacation. I am sure that if they needed to they could have got another part-time job. It grinds my gears when the money is going to those that do not need it, and us regular taxpayers will be footing the bill for many years to come.  Alas... what can ya do

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Back on page 869 I wrote about a book I was reading where a pandemic occurred in Honduras.  Here is a bit of it:

" Well in that year (2015 - 2016) about half of the members of group involved in the exploration began to get patches of ugly sores that wouldn't go away. They were eventually found to have a parasite called "Leishmaniasis" that is ugly, very hard to get rid of, actually mates with other strains and thus mutates, and has been around since the dinosaurs!  It apparently is contacted through barn rats AND sand flies. Because of global warning these guys, barn rats and sand flies, are now into the southern states and growing in the Easterly and Northerly directions. The book goes into great detail about pandemics, and how hard viruses are to manufacturer, and even mentions Dr. Fauci and the National Institute of Health (NIH)."

What I was trying to point out is that pandemics are really hard to get rid of, apparently these guys who got this virus never got rid of it, their bodies just learned how to handle it. My wife picked up a parasite in India at the age of 21, in 1973. She almost died, but they were able to save her. She spent the next 44 years having many stomach issues and ulcerative colitus. When the pain became too great, they operated on her stomach, only to find, on Nov 9, 2017, that she had stage 4 stomach cancer. She passed away 33 days later. The doctors thought it may have started in the bile duct. When I googled "bile duct cancer", I found out that it was prevalent with South East Asians, or US soldiers stationed in the South East, and it came from a parasite. That little bug__r had stayed around for 44 years. Let's not fool with this COVID-19 guy.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

17 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Those dead beats could be your sibling, cousin  , or neighbour. 

Drug addiction is a disease that affects canadian families in all socio economic categories.... / ethnic groups.  

i have lost a friend and a cousin and both were holding down solid jobs. ONe owned his own great business..  and my cousin worked long term BC ferries.

Those dead beats to you were   loved by their families / loved ones and had hundreds of friends.... Treatment is the answer. Keep them alive with safe drugs until they are ready for treatment.

Instead we restrict  safe legal  drugs to them  .  This only  steers them towards  dangerous toxic street drugs that kill them. 

I knew a dead beat like that. He's better now. But he stole from friends, family, pawned electronics and jewelry for pennies on the dollar. Treatment is absolutely no guarantee. And it's far from cheap. It's like putting $30,000 into an extremely questionable stock and praying, or putting it all on black. And what if they relapse? Do it again or let them fare for themselves? Tax payer is burdened with enough bull$&!#; why subsidize yet another person's terrible life choices because in most cases it was a choice despite FULLY being well aware of the consequences. 

57 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I agree that CERB was much needed in the beginning.  But it can't continue as it is currently now structured.

Here's an example of what is happening.  My friend runs a business.  He had to let go all of his staff and run it with just his immediate family.  Now that restrictions have lifted and a clearer idea of what is needed, he cannot get back the people he laid off.  Why?? Because all of them are getting CERB and don't have to work for it.  There is absolutely no incentive for them to come back at this time since they are basically getting free money for staying at home.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BPA said:

I agree that CERB was much needed in the beginning.  But it can't continue as it is currently now structured.

Here's an example of what is happening.  My friend runs a business.  He had to let go all of his staff and run it with just his immediate family.  Now that restrictions have lifted and a clearer idea of what is needed, he cannot get back the people he laid off.  Why?? Because all of them are getting CERB and don't have to work for it.  There is absolutely no incentive for them to come back at this time since they are basically getting free money for staying at home.

Yep.

Good ole justin has opened up my wallet, yours, and every other taxpayers and told those that don't want to work to just reach in as many times as they want.

14 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

16 new cases today... that's 5 days in a row now where the new cases identified have increased from the prior day.  From 6 to 9 to 12 to 14, and now to 16 new cases!

Definitely trending in the wrong direction.  IF we're not careful, the 2nd wave is gonna hit soon.  People need to stop acting like we're in the all clear!

Edited by HKSR
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

My comment with respect to turdeau is the 200 billion dollars he continues to give away and he increases it every other day. 

What’s the matter? Are you feeling left out?  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

...so you are just getting the top up trudeau is giving to all seniors....

Not...not 65 and collecting OAS. I don’t get any Covid assistances and I am ok with that as I don’t need it. 

Edited by spur1
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

What do you propose the feds should’ve done? 

Been more prepared with a process in place to ensure the billions given away to assist legitimate persons that lost jobs were not being given to fraudulent persons.

There is already tons of evidence showing high levels of fraud to the point where the government is now threatening to jail people or fine them.  The government was completely ill prepared for this huge dispersal of funds. 

16 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Been more prepared with a process in place to ensure the billions given away to assist legitimate persons that lost jobs were not being given to fraudulent persons.

There is already tons of evidence showing high levels of fraud to the point where the government is now threatening to jail people or fine them.  The government was completely ill prepared for this huge dispersal of funds. 

That's fine and all, but how do you predict who's going to do fraud beforehand?

• Like 1