The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Went to Royal Tyrrell Museum yesterday with my parents and kids. Been many times before, but it was nice to see the  exhibits with less crowds.

However, the museum “strongly recommended” facemasks. All the staff wore them, and my whole family wore them. But of the dozens of other people in there, I did not see a single facemask - not even one! I mean, all the authorities have become clear that they really help, and they hand them out for free at drive-thrus...so what excuse is left, other than being a self-centered D-bag?

A second wave is pretty much inevitable in Alberta.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Went to Royal Tyrrell Museum yesterday with my parents and kids. Been many times before, but it was nice to see the  exhibits with less crowds.

However, the museum “strongly recommended” facemasks. All the staff wore them, and my whole family wore them. But of the dozens of other people in there, I did not see a single facemask - not even one! I mean, all the authorities have become clear that they really help, and they hand them out for free at drive-thrus...so what excuse is left, other than being a self-centered D-bag?

A second wave is pretty much inevitable in Alberta.

Here in BC we have been let down by our chief med Dr. Bonnie who has not encouraged children in school or school staff to wear masks..

I agree that the next wave is inevitable.     

When your top Dr is not encouraging safe behaviour ... what do you expect the general public to do.?

Really wish Canada's top Dr Tam  had more power and influence in all our provinces....  Clearly Dr  Tam understands the role of masks in preventing Covid.

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Trudeau controls the press so he won’t be challenged. Parliament has been shutdown until further notice. Now racism is being used to shut up all forms of questioning. Sadly most Canadians don’t see a problem. Coming out of 2009 it was trumpeted that infrastructure projects would rebuild the country. Eleven years later and how many projects do you see. Hundreds of thousands of jobs?

:lol: The National Post will be surprised to hear that....

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Here in BC we have been let down by our chief med Dr. Bonnie who has not encouraged children in school or school staff to wear masks..

I agree that the next wave is inevitable.     

When your top Dr is not encouraging safe behaviour ... what do you expect the general public to do.?

Really wish Canada's top Dr Tam  had more power and influence in all our provinces....  Clearly Dr  Tam understands the role of masks in preventing Covid.

Psst.

It's been 2 weeks since kids went back to school in BC.  Haven't heard any outbreaks at any schools yet.

Edited by BPA
  • Vintage 1

One thing that really bothers me that I'm having a hard time reconciling is the obvious contradiction between the COVID restrictions on people in groups and the mass gatherings/protests we've seen.

So, this is the message I'm seeing out of this ... that it's ok to gather outside in large groups as long as it's a protest for social justice ... yet all other outdoor event for 2020 must be cancelled. 

I have zero issues with protesting or the right to protest. None. I care about the issues we face and the need for change. These protests are important and we need that aspect of society to thrive.

I do, however, take issue with restrictions on mass gatherings, outdoor events being cancelled for the remainder of the year, businesses going under and livelihoods being ruined when those same restrictions don't apply to people gathering to protest in the hundreds and thousands. Especially if we don't see spikes or increases in cases.

I can't be the only one who sees this or feels this way. 

• Vintage 3

40 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

One thing that really bothers me that I'm having a hard time reconciling is the obvious contradiction between the COVID restrictions on people in groups and the mass gatherings/protests we've seen.

So, this is the message I'm seeing out of this ... that it's ok to gather outside in large groups as long as it's a protest for social justice ... yet all other outdoor event for 2020 must be cancelled. 

I have zero issues with protesting or the right to protest. None. I care about the issues we face and the need for change. These protests are important and we need that aspect of society to thrive.

I do, however, take issue with restrictions on mass gatherings, outdoor events being cancelled for the remainder of the year, businesses going under and livelihoods being ruined when those same restrictions don't apply to people gathering to protest in the hundreds and thousands. Especially if we don't see spikes or increases in cases.

How do you figure they got permission to protest?  

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I, too, feel this way.

This is a "large gathering" beyond what is recommended for group settings.  Not sure why we can't have measures in place to ensure protests are done "safely".

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

How do you figure they got permission to protest?  

They have a "right to protest (assemble)" however that doesn't come without regulations.  You can't go burn up cars and buildings without being arrested.  You can't wander around people's private property, etc.

During a pandemic I'd hope that you can't just abandon all health regulations as well, which I think is covered:

Some jurisprudence has found that legal measures affecting freedom of assembly through the reasonable regulation of public space and associated public health and safety matters do not infringe section 2(c) 

I do love that your daughter was handing out masks and PPE...that's awesome.  But those not making use of them should have to ... just not sure how that can be "enforced".  It's a shame that people who want to be "seen" on TV, etc. will forego others health and well being to get selfies.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The message from BC (at least that I heard), was that IF you felt compelled to protest, please maintain social distancing.  Obviously most didn't, to the surprise of nobody.  But like @gurnsaid, if police came out to crack down on social distancing measures at the protest things probably would've gotten messy and even more harm would've been done.

We'll see how these protests change (or don't change) the numbers.  Towards the end of this week things were trending the wrong way in BC.  Hopefully that was a blip and not the start of a trend back up.  Numbers in the USA seem to be on the arise again too.

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Psst.

It's been 2 weeks since kids went back to school in BC.  Haven't heard any outbreaks at any schools yet.

Competent governments are promoting masks to limit covid spread ....

Then there is Dr Bonnie and the BC gov.......

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Can you be more specific? Not sure how to interpret your context here. 

The context being it's not like protestors are going to a store, concert etc.  They don't have "permission" to protest.  

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The message from BC (at least that I heard), was that IF you felt compelled to protest, please maintain social distancing.  Obviously most didn't, to the surprise of nobody.  But like @gurnsaid, if police came out to crack down on social distancing measures at the protest things probably would've gotten messy and even more harm would've been done.

We'll see how these protests change (or don't change) the numbers.  Towards the end of this week things were trending the wrong way in BC.  Hopefully that was a blip and not the start of a trend back up.  Numbers in the USA seem to be on the arise again too.

I agree, it made me cringe, but at least most were wearing masks

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I, too, feel this way.

This is a "large gathering" beyond what is recommended for group settings.  Not sure why we can't have measures in place to ensure protests are done "safely".

Here, I trust the doctors. They are making tough calls. Like outdoor protest vs shopping at Costco? IDK. Both? Neither? It's a tough call. Tough because you have to trust people to be smart. 

In the US? Remember by the time the BLM riots occurred most states had already lifted restrictions. Beaches, malls, etc.... full. Arizona for example lifted restrictions on May 15th, 10 days before the incidents in Minneapolis. 

• Upvote 1

I can’t help but think there will be a second wave. US numbers of cases is again rising as they open up and time will tell what effect the protests will have. 
  My personal observations tell me we are in danger. Thursday at our men’s night at golf 16 players from Alberta showed up. 4 to a vehicle and proceeded to head out 2 to a cart. (No masks).  The day after I drove from Radium to Invermere and back. On the way there about every second car was from Alberta (also seen Sask and ON plates). On the way back on a Friday afternoon the Albertans were starting to arrive for the weekend and every fourth car had BC plates. 
My area has no active cases but I can’t help but think it is just a matter of time. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Treatment costs on a junkie with high potential of relapse to that of a very risky stock with high potential of falling in the toilet for example, yes, they're both a huge gamble. 

Wow, i wonder what you will say when one of these as you say  "JUNKIES"  is your son/daughter/cousin/friend.

Sick people need our  help not negative  labels and scorn....    

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1