The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Beijing closes market, locks down area in new virus outbreak

The largest wholesale food market in Beijing was shuttered behind police guard and the surrounding neighbourhood locked down Saturday after more than 50 people tested positive for the coronavirus in the Chinese capital.

Authorities locked down 11 residential communities near the Xinfadi market, about 3 kilometres (2 miles) southeast of the Temple of Heaven tourist site. Police officers could be seen manoeuvring white fencing into place to seal off a road leading to a cluster of apartment buildings.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/beijing-closes-market-locks-down-area-in-new-virus-outbreak-1.4982830

2 hours ago, stawns said:

not arguing that, at all.  I absolutely support the cause and people's right to protest, and my own daughter attended the Vancouver rally..........but I absolutely don't think it's a good idea in a pandemic.

Same here. That's great about your daughter. It's nice to hear. 

I'm just having a difficult time with how this is evolving and looking from a certain perspective ... that it's socially permissable to gather if it's in the name of social justice (and that's not a risk to public safety from the pandemic) yet we have to ask permission for all other outdoor events because they pose a risk to public safety. That's dangerous territory, imo, if the only events "allowed" or permissable are protests. 

It's an interesting time. I'm curious to see how things evolve in the next week or two case wise.

• Cheers 1

F Covid......

Anthony Fauci, one of the doctors in charge of the U.S. government’s coronavirus response, has warned that the outbreak is far from over, even as some of the worst-hit states start reopening their economies.

Dr. Fauci, the longtime head of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said there was “no way” Covid-19 was going to burn itself out simply through current public health measures, like the SARS epidemic did in 2014, so a vaccine would be needed.

“I’ll guarantee there is going to be more than one winner in the vaccine field because we’re going to need vaccines for the entire world,” he told a pharmaceutical industry conference on Tuesday. “Billions and billions of doses.”

https://theprovince.com/news/world/my-worst-nightmare-dr-anthony-fauci-says-coronavirus-outbreak-will-not-end-until-vaccine-found/wcm/641b4ea8-f3ce-4c55-9

This just blows my mind:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/ceo-asks-employees-to-lie-on-timecards-or-risk-job-losses-—-violating-labour-laws/ar-BB15uflA?li=AAggNb9

Several workers of a high-profile company say they were pressured into giving up paid vacation days, then told to lie about it on their timecards — or risk job losses during the height of the pandemic.

In an internal company video provided to Go Public, Franklin Holtforster — president and CEO of Ottawa-based Colliers Project Leaders — asks employees to "surrender" vacation time if they want to save their own jobs and those of their coworkers.

"I'm asking everyone to work a full week and to record an additional eight hours of vacation onto your time sheet every week in April and May," Holtforster says in the video released to employees on April 24.

"This reduces our compensation costs and permits us to avoid mass layoffs … Now if we all surrender a bit of future vacation, we can keep our co-workers and ourselves employed."

Holtforster tells Go Public the project management company tried other ways to cut costs — reducing expenses and compensation for dozens of managers by up to 20 per cent — before asking workers to voluntarily give up vacation days.

Go Public spoke with a number of employees; all had similar experiences and all say they don't believe it was voluntary.

One employee tells Go Public workers who refused to give up vacation days were pressured by managers to change their minds — and their timecards — receiving frequent calls from higher ups, asking if they planned to comply.

"It's not a choice … there's so much fear that if you don't do this, you're going to lose your job," said the employee, who works on infrastructure and revitalization projects for the company.

"The scary part is if you're going to get fired, say next week, you have no vacation time to show."

Go Public is not identifying the workers who contacted us, as they fear losing their jobs.

According to two employment lawyers Go Public spoke with, it's against provincial labour laws to take away or reduce vacation time that's required by law and to produce false or misleading vacation time records.

Another insider said many workers were afraid to complain or refuse the request, especially given the impact of COVID-19 on the job market.

"I know that a lot of my colleagues are struggling," said the employee.

"Any colleagues that haven't been here a year are now in the negative" — meaning they have given away so many vacation days they owe the company time.

There has been quite a bit of talk about people abusing CERB payments, but as always, there are two sides and here we have a clear case of an employer abusing the rights of it's employees by blackmailing them. <_<

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This just blows my mind:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/ceo-asks-employees-to-lie-on-timecards-or-risk-job-losses-—-violating-labour-laws/ar-BB15uflA?li=AAggNb9

There has been quite a bit of talk about people abusing CERB payments, but as always, there are two sides and here we have a clear case of an employer abusing the rights of it's employees by blackmailing them. <_<

That's a complete dick head move. Over my dead body my employer will make me use my vacation pay every, that's gonna be my retirement bonus lol

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This just blows my mind:

it's starting to feel like this is a bell weather moment in modern history.......a time for real change or a time when corporations finally crush the rest of us

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's starting to feel like this is a bell weather moment in modern history.......a time for real change or a time when corporations finally crush the rest of us

It will be interesting to see if the follow up is that the company had to go to layoffs as that was their stated reason for "asking" employees to use up vacation time.  I know carrying deferred vacation costs is a significant expense for corporations and why its a bargaining chip when negotiating with a union.   Probably a better option would have been to ask all employees to take a voluntary pay cut if they truly wanted to save jobs.  

• Cheers 1

Yet another swing and miss for Dr. Bone Spurs and his merry band of sycophants:

FDA revokes its emergency use authorization for the drugs hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine for the treatment of Covid-19

FDA has concluded that, based on this new information and other information discussed in the attached memorandum, it is no longer reasonable to believe that oral formulations of HCQ and CQ may be effective in treating COVID-19, nor is it reasonable to believe that the known a nd potential benefits of these products outweigh their known and potential risks. Accordingly, FDA revokes the EUA for emergency use of HCQ and CQ to treat COVID-19, pursuant to section 564(g)(2) of the Act. As of the date of this letter, the oral formulations of HCQ and CQ are no longer authorized by FDA to treat COVID-19.

The good news for Trump is, they haven't revoked the use of flashlights.....

• Haha 2

On 6/14/2020 at 8:42 PM, kingofsurrey said:

When Horgan fails at re-opening schools properly.... it just gave the whole province the green light to go back to normal and stop safe social distancing / safe behaviours /   wearing masks in public.

Horgan has failed to see how dangerous Covid is ... even to young people..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2020/06/13/report-suggests-some-mildly-symptomatic-covid-19-patients-endure-serious-long-term-effects/#6def59d55979

Report Suggests Some ‘Mildly Symptomatic’ Covid-19 Patients Endure Serious Long-Term Effects

Sorry but that headline is dangerous and misleading. There hasn't been any 'long term' experienced since the virus has only been in humans for quite a short term. Click bait.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/14/2020 at 12:42 PM, kingofsurrey said:

When Horgan fails at re-opening schools properly.... it just gave the whole province the green light to go back to normal and stop safe social distancing / safe behaviours /   wearing masks in public.

Horgan has failed to see how dangerous Covid is ... even to young people..

I'm not sure it's reasonable to draw a direct correlation between schools reopening and the behaviour of the general public.  I don't want to burst your bubble but there are a lot of people who really have nothing to do with the school system beyond paying taxes.  I would argue that the relaxation of measures within the general public is more correlated to both pandemic fatigue and a level of confidence (however misplaced) in the low infection rates in BC.  

You sadly sound like the sort of person that when holding a hammer thinks that everything looks like a nail.  

I'm pretty confident that neither Premier Horgan nor Dr. Henry are building their reopening plans around having as many teachers as possible infected with COVID which seems to be your theme.  

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, skategal said:

I'm not sure it's reasonable to draw a direct correlation between schools reopening and the behaviour of the general public.  I don't want to burst your bubble but there are a lot of people who really have nothing to do with the school system beyond paying taxes.  I would argue that the relaxation of measures within the general public is more correlated to both pandemic fatigue and a level of confidence (however misplaced) in the low infection rates in BC.  

You sadly sound like the sort of person that when holding a hammer thinks that everything looks like a nail.  

I'm pretty confident that neither Premier Horgan nor Dr. Henry are building their reopening plans around having as many teachers as possible infected with COVID which seems to be your theme.  

My theme is people need to protect themselves and act responsibly to prevent the spread of this terrible virus. Covid.19

Our government needs to be strict and consistent to show leadership/ consistency in their message. 

Pandemic fatigue... wow really ?   I guess that is the same approach in Florida - how is that working for them. 

I am really not sure what your theme is ?  Maybe if you post a few more times, it will become more clear. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

Sorry but that headline is dangerous and misleading. There hasn't been any 'long term' experienced since the virus has only been in humans for quite a short term. Click bait.

Ignoring the long term effects of covid on recovering individuals is even more dangerous.....   Always good to ignore research that does not follow your narrative. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Russ said:

That's a complete dick head move. Over my dead body my employer will make me use my vacation pay every, that's gonna be my retirement bonus lol

If you're banking vacation time is such a manner....I'd suggest you get it in writing from your employer just as insurance in case they try and screw you.

• Vintage 1