The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

11 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Yep.  Even though I'm a professional, I'm in a union and we have rules on how many days we are allowed to bank.  We are allowed to carry only 4 weeks vacation at a time.  Anything over and above is paid out.  The rules were changed after a more than just a few employees had almost a full year of vacation time banked to be taken upon retirement.  Gives the employee essentially one free year of benefits as they were still on the payroll.  The company had a huge vacation pay liability in their books.

Teacher sick days can never be paid out.  All sick days are lost upon retirement with no buy back options....

1 hour ago, zapperman said:

So 12 per day and no deaths. Nice to see the sky isn’t falling and we’re not getting that spike, even with “the lack of leadership”  and craziness of schools opening with no PPE for teachers. It’s almost like Dr. Henry knows a little more than the experts and the odd doom peddlers on here. Go figure. 

2 nurses in ICU in abbotsford on ventilators...   do you only think death with covid is a negative outcome.

Many people with covid will suffer long term negative effects..  You really need to do some research on the long term effects of covid 19

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Teacher sick days can never be paid out.  All sick days are lost upon retirement with no buy back options....

I don't know of too many places of employment where sick days are paid out if you don't take them.  For us its the same.  We lose them upon retirement.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

2 nurses in ICU in abbotsford on ventilators...   do you only think death with covid is a negative outcome.

Many people with covid will suffer long term negative effects..  You really need to do some research on the long term effects of covid 19

If by “many people” you mean very few then yes you are correct.

Maybe you should take your own advice and do more research before coming in here and trying to fear monger. In the meantime leave it to the professionals.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Doctorate.....  Sounds like you never passed highschool math.

You must have missed a few Sesame street counting episodes....

This weekends numbers  grew  20 % higher than last week...  

Look for a pattern.  Most of us here actually want to see less covid in BC and not more cases.....

Monday June 8 . -  30 cases. covid in BC 

Monday June 15. -  36 cases. covid in BC 

I guess you’re under the assumption that numbers will only go down during this phase? And anything else is a failure?

Maybe leave it to the professionals that understand that there are always going to be spikes even when numbers are under control.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I guess you’re under the assumption that numbers will only go down during this phase? And anything else is a failure?

Maybe leave it to the professionals that understand that there are always going to be spikes even when numbers are under control.

Wow, you are the only person i know that thinks covid infection rates rising is a good thing... 

LOL - Are you swedish ?

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow, you are the only person i know that thinks covid infection rates rising is a good thing... 

LOL - Are you swedish ?

No but I realize that when numbers trend downwards they don’t just go straight down.

I hope you’re not in the stock market if you think that. :lol:

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If by “many people” you mean very few then yes you are correct.

Maybe you should take your own advice and do more research before coming in here and trying to fear monger. In the meantime leave it to the professionals.

The professionals have already said that covid19 even after recovery can result in lung damage and long term health effects.  

Just google. covid longterm effects on health 

Astounding that BC continues to keep the cases down while our neighbors are seeing a spike.  We are truly blessed to have health officials that know what they're doing and good on the politicians to allow them to do thier job with no interference.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Astounding that BC continues to keep the cases down while our neighbors are seeing a spike.  We are truly blessed to have health officials that know what they're doing and good on the politicians to allow them to do thier job with no interference.

Keep celebrating.... but this battle against covid has only started.  People need to stay vigilent.    It is no time to relax and stop safe behaviours.

Seeing a 20% spike in cases  compared to last weekend is not great news.    

Probably important to recognize as well that many (I think 12?) of the weekend cases announced are all from Holy Cross care home/hospital.  Not as if all the cases identified are spread throughout the community.  As @Tre Mac said, BC continues to keep the cases down.  

We still need to keep the strategies in place that we've used to this point, masks, washing hands, physically distancing in order to limit the risk as much as we can.  

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

The professionals have already said that covid19 even after recovery can result in lung damage and long term health effects.  

Just google. covid longterm effects on health 

Correct.

You were not correct in saying it affected “many people” however.

• Cheers 1

Mutation in new coronavirus increases chance of infection: study

A specific mutation in the new coronavirus can significantly increase its ability to infect cells, according to a study by U.S. researchers. 

The research may explain why early outbreaks in some parts of the world did not end up overwhelming health systems as much as other outbreaks in New York and Italy, according to experts at Scripps Research. 

The mutation, named D614G, increased the number of “spikes” on the coronavirus - which is the part that gives it its distinctive shape. Those spikes are what allow the virus to bind to and infect cells.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-infectivity-idUSKBN23M1M9?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2kvNtTIre9aoVbwSyydFEPGIyr6OM1tdLm_zNUv_5j965tx0ZzTnGufCQ

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Doctorate.....  Sounds like you never passed highschool math.

You must have missed a few Sesame street counting episodes....

This weekends numbers  grew  20 % higher than last week...  

Look for a pattern.  Most of us here actually want to see less covid in BC and not more cases.....

Monday June 8 . -  30 cases. covid in BC 

Monday June 15. -  36 cases. covid in BC 

Since you like patterns so much. 

Monday June 8 - 16 total in hospital

Monday June 25 - 13 total in hospital

I’ll leave it to you to use your high school math to see if you can find a pattern. 

I think we’re doing ok. Just have to stay vigilant and keep this up. It’s nice to find the positives and see the benefits of how well we’re doing. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, zapperman said:

Since you like patterns so much. 

Monday June 8 - 16 total in hospital

Monday June 25 - 13 total in hospital

I’ll leave it to you to use your high school math to see if you can find a pattern. 

I think we’re doing ok. Just have to stay vigilant and keep this up. It’s nice to find the positives and see the benefits of how well we’re doing. 

Hospital numbers going down is great news.  Just like new infections increasing. 20% over last weekend ... not such great news.....

Pretty simple to understand, no ?

Edited by kingofsurrey

47 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Thanks I was about to go out and lick the sidewalk.  Jesus christ man what is your angle here?  I remember you wanted ppe gear for teachers and I agreed with you, but now you've gone full bore into this doomsday tinfoil tangent of analytical semantics.  Step away from the electronics - 24hrs minimum.

Yes, PPE for kids and teachers makes sense.  California and Wash state are now both going that route going forward.

No doomsday / tinfoil for me.  Just want to see covid numbers flat and not increasing.  Seems like common sense to me.   

Edited by kingofsurrey