CBH1926

14 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

there is no tent city

it is gone

i think you lack details on this issue

and prefer to address is broad and a rather unthinking manner

i get it, it's not important enough to invest the necessary time

but then please, don't post on this topic

Wow more nonsense from you.   80 homeless campers  kicked out of their camp just yesterday in CRAB park van.  .....

Homeless live in tents all across DTES and actually now in pretty much every city in BC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/homeless-campers-move-1.5613306

6 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The one along Hastings? Great. Weren’t they put in a hotel? 

The one in Winnipeg is still there along the Red River.

There are a few tent cities in Toronto. They’re growing...

Heh, don't listen to his BS..... 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow more nonsense from you.   80 homeless campers  kicked out of their camp just yesterday in CRAB park van.  .....

Homeless live in tents all across DTES and actually now in pretty much every city in BC.

the issue is not about being homeless or living in tents

it is congregating

in campground type arrangements

and yes, as they close them, and force them to move, they will spring up in other locations

and get moved again

not sure what point you are trying to make

the one at crab park existed for a very short while

after oppenheimer was closed down and fenced

34 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the issue is not about being homeless or living in tents

it is congregating

in campground type arrangements

and yes, as they close them, and force them to move, they will spring up in other locations

and get moved again

not sure what point you are trying to make

the one at crab park existed for a very short while

after oppenheimer was closed down and fenced

Yesterday in Crab park.. once evicted...  80 homeless campers simply moved 20 metres... and reset up camp.

Eviction of homeless camps....   is NO cure for Covid transmission.....  

Campers started pitching their tents on port authority property shortly after May 8, when the homeless camp in Oppenheimer Park closed. Anywhere between 100 to 130  people are living in the new camp.

Edited by kingofsurrey

11 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yet another swing and miss for Dr. Bone Spurs and his merry band of sycophants:

FDA revokes its emergency use authorization for the drugs hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine for the treatment of Covid-19

The good news for Trump is, they haven't revoked the use of flashlights.....

bleach is still readily available all over as well

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, coho8888 said:

I think the people in their 20's and 30's are hoping for returns from the "Bank of Ma and Pa"

Lol...yes and they may get it when they are 60. That is if ma or pa are in sound mind and don’t give it to the neighbours. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I guess you’re under the assumption that numbers will only go down during this phase? And anything else is a failure?

Maybe leave it to the professionals that understand that there are always going to be spikes even when numbers are under control.

i think people lose sight of what the virus message is all about

it is to flatten the curve

prevent the medical system from being overloaded

track and trace the virus so we have an idea of where it is

deal with cluster outbreaks

keep things managed and under control

i have not seen any message suggesting the virus will disappear

it will not

it will endure

so we will need to build up resistance through vaccine assistance

or overall population exposure over a time period

so that immunity is built up that way

if that does not happen the community is always at risk for epidemic type explosions of the virus

it needs to get into our populations in a controlled way

these inferences that manageable new infections are a disappointment

is not a realistic long term approach to deal with covid

and is not the message i have heard from our local authorities

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i think people lose sight of what the virus message is all about

it is to flatten the curve

prevent the medical system from being overloaded

track and trace the virus so we have an idea of where it is

deal with cluster outbreaks

keep things managed and under control

i have not seen any message suggesting the virus will disappear

it will not

it will endure

so we will need to build up resistance through vaccine assistance

or overall population exposure over a time period

so that immunity is built up that way

if that does not happen the community is always at risk for epidemic type explosions of the virus

it needs to get into our populations in a controlled way

these inferences that manageable new infections are a disappointment

is not a realistic long term approach to deal with covid

and is not the message i have heard from our local authorities

Heh, maybe it's the absence of sports but I still cheer for BC to get a shutout (or lower numbers from the day before).  Hopefully the slight uptick in numbers last week is just a sign of the ebb and flow of cases around an equilibrium of cases we have reached due to the measures we've taken here and not a sign that too many people are easing up too quickly.  We shall see.

I sure hope resistance comes from a vaccine and not exposure over time as the latter will take a long time due to our success so far.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

Heh, maybe it's the absence of sports but I still cheer for BC to get a shutout (or lower numbers from the day before).  Hopefully the slight uptick in numbers last week is just a sign of the ebb and flow of cases around an equilibrium of cases we have reached due to the measures we've taken here and not a sign that too many people are easing up too quickly.  We shall see.

I sure hope resistance comes from a vaccine and not exposure over time as the latter will take a long time due to our success so far.

the cases appear to be mostly cluster related

that is how this will progress or continue

lower community numbers with cluster outbreaks jumping up the numbers from time to time

that helps keep people on their toes and keep their discipline up

cuz we notice these number bumps

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

and you do not surprise me

9/10 of your posts or other responses are decent or better

i notice and appreciate your presence on these boards

thanks

Thanks, you have given me a compliment, and yet left me room for improvement; which is something I try for, most days.  :)

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I think that clause has been grandfathered out almost everywhere.  Sucks for me, I have about 2/3rds of a year in sick days and am only 40.  Heh, I kinda regret only taking 2 weeks off for ACL surgery.

Oh maybe I just remember telling my dad he should see if theres anything he could use that time for since he wasn't getting paid out but he's pretty healthy and didn't need any surgeries or anything.

15 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Ignoring the long term effects of covid on recovering individuals is even more dangerous.....   Always good to ignore research that does not follow your narrative. 

Hey I never said to ignore the long term effects. I'm all for following the protocols set out by the health officials, and those who will be doing the research. What I said was, they can't KNOW long term effects at this stage. They might suspect, research might suggest, but we're only a few months into this so we don't know what the long term effects are. The title of the ad was sensationalized to get people to click. That's all I said. 

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, coho8888 said:

I think the people in their 20's and 30's are hoping for returns from the "Bank of Ma and Pa"

They might just find themselves out of luck on that one....

My parents both had good paying, union jobs with pensions, but no actual retirement savings. When they both were retired they sold their house and started renting a condo, using the money they earned off the sale of the house to pay their bills. (with some left over) Their pensions allowed them to live in a decent place and pay for a few extras, like a house cleaner who came twice a week, donations to their church and sponsoring of a young African girl (can't remember which country off the top of my head) through "Save the Children".

Granted, my parents' situation is/was a bit unique. After raising six kids, they went on to raise 3 grandkids. (Thanks to my oldest sister, who struggled with drug and alcohol addiction) When my father died in 2018 at the age of 94, he had never known a day without at least one child in his house for the past 60+ years.

My mom now lives in a small apartment in Kelowna, (My dad's pension ran out when he died) Luckily, my nephew (one of the three kids my parents raised) is there to help her with whatever she might need. (It was him who got her all set up when Covid19 hit)

Long story short: There is no money left in the bank of mom and dad and I bet my story isn't that uncommon.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

31 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They might just find themselves out of luck on that one....

My parents both had good paying, union jobs with pensions, but no actual retirement savings. When they both were retired they sold their house and started renting a condo, using the money they earned off the sale of the house to pay their bills. (with some left over) Their pensions allowed them to live in a decent place and pay for a few extras, like a house cleaner who came twice a week, donations to their church and sponsoring of a young African girl (can't remember which country off the top of my head) through "Save the Children".

Granted, my parents' situation is/was a bit unique. After raising six kids, they went on to raise 3 grandkids. (Thanks to my oldest sister, who struggled with drug and alcohol addiction) When my father did in 2018 at the age of 94, he had never known a day without at least one child in his house for the past 60+ years.

My mom now lives in a small apartment in Kelowna, (My dad's pension ran out when he died) Lcukily, my nephew (one of the three kids my parents raised) is there to help her with whatever she might need. (It was him who got her all set up when Covid19 hit)

Long story short: There is no money left in the bank of mom and dad and I bet my story isn't that uncommon.

Your parents (RIP to your dad!) sound like awesome folks! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Oh maybe I just remember telling my dad he should see if theres anything he could use that time for since he wasn't getting paid out but he's pretty healthy and didn't need any surgeries or anything.

He may have had that.  My Uncle in Coquitlam had that but I'm pretty sure new teachers won't get that anymore.

US and Canada agree to keep border closed for an extra 30 days

Tue 16 Jun 2020 15:17:33 GMT

Canada and US border to say closed

Looking at this map, I can't imagine why Canada would want to keep the border closed.

I can tell you that the vast majority of Canadians have no problem keeping the border closed for a long time. If Trudeau re-opens it and Canadian cases spike, he's taking a huge political risk.

The current closure will be extended to July 21.
Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Vintage 3

12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Looking at this map, I can't imagine why Canada would want to keep the border closed.

I can tell you that the vast majority of Canadians have no problem keeping the border closed for a long time. If Trudeau re-opens it and Canadian cases spike, he's taking a huge political risk.

Trump looks at the picture and thinks he's leading the polls for re-election. 

(Cuz it's red states...ya bad joke...lol)

:P

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

That map is a little strange....

My first impression was that I was surprised at the cases in the Alaska panhandle, but some of the Canadian sites are confusing. The one near the west coast looks to be somewhere around Terrace, or maybe Smithers, but AFAIK, they have minimal cases. Maybe it's supposed to be PG?

Edmonton and Stoon both seem to be about right, but the one in Manitoba is nowhere near Winnipeg and the Ontario and Quebec locations are both in the middle of nowhere....:unsure: