The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Q: Was the person who got COVID-19 at independent school a teacher?

A (Dr. Henry): This was an adult involved in several roles including teaching. We knew this was a possibility. Harder for kids to transmit between each other. Doesn't change our assessment of risk which is low.

So it appears it was an adult that had Covid-19 and not kids.

Hmm....

Yah,  not really sure.  Why does it matter if was a support staff / office staff / or teacher......

Many different roles in our school system.  All are exposed to kids.

So far great news it is not a student.  

The Bay temp tests each employee every day before they enter the building 

Dollar store gives workers  masks.

Tim Hortons makes all workers wear masks.

Most stores put hand sanitizer for visitors / staff. 

BC schools offer nothing......      That is why 85% of Gr. 6-12 students did not return to these conditions. 

BC is the only province in Canada that alllowed  all kids / staff  back to school. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah,  not really sure.  Why does it matter if was a support staff / office staff / or teacher......

Many different roles in our school system.  All are exposed to kids.

So far great news it is not a student.  

The Bay temp tests each employee every day before they enter the building 

Dollar store gives workers  masks.

Tim Hortons makes all workers wear masks.

Most stores put hand sanitizer for visitors / staff. 

BC schools offer nothing......      That is why 85% of Gr. 6-12 students did not return to these conditions. 

BC is the only province in Canada that alllowed  all kids / staff  back to school. 

Almost 3 weeks since kids went back to school (in a significantly reduced class size).  And only 1 case (an adult) reported. 

Wouldn't you say that it is successful so far?

26 minutes ago, BPA said:

Almost 3 weeks since kids went back to school (in a significantly reduced class size).  And only 1 case (an adult) reported. 

Luckily 85% of parents in gr. 6-12  saw it as way to0 risky.  

Edited by kingofsurrey

38 minutes ago, BPA said:

I notice you do NOT comment on the lack of any PPE in our schools for kids / staff 

Yes - great news no kids have been infected in school return so far.  Fantastic news. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

Sorry KoS, I don't want to get into a debate with you as you are pretty dug in on your position on schools reopening, but with one infection of an adult in 3 weeks, doesn't that support that there was no requirement for PPE in schools?  

I'm not sure what sort of PPE you wanted, masks, Tyvek suits, gowns, gloves, goggles, face shields, shoe covers?  None of it is comfortable to wear by any means.  

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, skategal said:

Sorry KoS, I don't want to get into a debate with you as you are pretty dug in on your position on schools reopening, but with one infection of an adult in 3 weeks, doesn't that support that there was no requirement for PPE in schools?  

I'm not sure what sort of PPE you wanted, masks, Tyvek suits, gowns, gloves, goggles, face shields, shoe covers?  None of it is comfortable to wear by any means.  

Yup - great that 85% of BC parents Gr. 6-12 did not trust / follow BC government recommendations. and send their kids back to PPE free schools.

Parents smart decision has probably greatly reduced covid infections in our schools. 

Well done BC parents. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yup - great that 85% of BC parents Gr. 6-12 did not trust / follow BC government recommendations. and send their kids back to PPE free schools.

Parents smart decision has probably greatly reduced covid infections in our schools. 

Well done BC parents. 

the king of comedy

8 hours ago, samurai said:

the king of comedy

I’d agree, but even I get tired of comedians that tell the same joke 1700 times and can’t read the crowd. 

if we assume the 85% staying home  is accurate, that’s over 80,000 students that have been in school for 3 weeks. With no student cases yet. I’d say we’re doing pretty well. There will be some of course but I look at the big picture. 

Edited by zapperman
Clarified % staying home
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, zapperman said:

I’d agree, but even I get tired of comedians that tell the same joke 1700 times and can’t read the crowd. 

if we assume the 85% is accurate, that’s over 80,000 students that have been in school for 3 weeks. With no student cases yet. I’d say we’re doing pretty well. There will be some of course but I look at the big picture. 

My kids are now back for 4 hours a day.  They are extremely happy to be back - night and day.  I am in Japan.  All the schools including high schools have gone back with guidelines that are probably similar to BC.  Masks, smaller class sizes, windows open, regular hand washing, temp check before leaving the house, and not much more than that.  The school goes until the end of July.  So keeping kids out or giving parents the option isn't really an option.   I think it is close to 11 million kids and so far no clusters have occurred. And I haven't heard of any cases of large numbers of parents holding their kids back.  Going back to school is happening all over the world so yeah the big picture is very positive.  Summer vacation here is only going to be 2 weeks for the kids.  

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I notice you do NOT comment on the lack of any PPE in our schools for kids / staff 

Yes - great news no kids have been infected in school return so far.  Fantastic news. 

Nope.

I said it from the beginning that any good company would provide their employees with much needed PPE.

But I also was OK with kids going back to school part time.  

Some say this was a “planned demic” purposeful attack by China or other state. I’m on the fence with this.

Things that have upset me about this:

- BC could have opened more things sooner, we are one of the best provinces for active known cases for a long time now (there are now currently only 190). Active cases have always been low in this province and it had a lot has to do with spring break being delayed out here as opposed to Quebec and Ontario, 

- Trudeau is giving away far too many handouts on a daily basis to people throughout the country on the backs of us tax payers who have not stopped working. He is on course to bankrupting the country and promoting an environment where those collecting CERB make more money sitting at home than working (I’ve confirmed this with several restaurants who have staff that refuse to come back to work).

- why is the NHL looking at high infection areas for game sites? This whole thing is a TV related issue and it doesn’t matter if it’s being played in the Yukon. As long as there are ice rinks and hotels, there not be any need for anything else. Places like Toronto and even all of the US should be a NO!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

why is the NHL looking at high infection areas for game sites? This whole thing is a TV related issue and it doesn’t matter if it’s being played in the Yukon. As long as there are ice rinks and hotels, there not be any need for anything else. Places like Toronto and even all of the US should be a NO!

If I’m not mistaken, the players have to agree on the hub cities or at least have input on the decision. The players are going to prefer to be in a city like Vegas or Toronto rather than Edmonton or Columbus. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Some say this was a “planned demic” purposeful attack by China or other state. I’m on the fence with this.

Things that have upset me about this:

- Trudeau is giving away far too many handouts on a daily basis to people throughout the country on the backs of us tax payers who have not stopped working. He is on course to bankrupting the country and promoting an environment where those collecting CERB make more money sitting at home than working (I’ve confirmed this with several restaurants who have staff that refuse to come back to work).

It's just as bad down here in the States.  I know plenty of people who have the opportunity to go back to work, or have been offered different jobs, but flat out refuse for no other reason than they'd rather get paid to sit at home.  My own nephew only had a job for two weeks and now has been on unemployment for 3 months.....and he LOVES it.  Plays video games 16 hours a day, lives at home, and pays no rent...a real contributor to society. 

The handouts need to be reduced big time for certain people.  And both my country and state are already passed the point of broke.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, zapperman said:

if we assume the 85% is accurate, that’s over 80,000 students that have been in school for 3 weeks. With no student cases yet. I’d say we’re doing pretty well. There will be some of course but I look at the big picture. 

My school is at about 10-15% capacity

8 hours ago, grandmaster said:

- BC could have opened more things sooner, we are one of the best provinces for active known cases for a long time now (there are now currently only 190). Active cases have always been low in this province and it had a lot has to do with spring break being delayed out here as opposed to Quebec and Ontario, 

where those collecting CERB make more money sitting at home than working (I’ve confirmed this with several restaurants who have staff that refuse to come back to work).

Opening up too soon is resulting in hundreds of needless deaths in countries around the world. I prefer the B.C. way of doing things

People making more on CERB just shines a light on the fact that those people were underpaid by their current employer.

7 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

If I’m not mistaken, the players have to agree on the hub cities or at least have input on the decision. The players are going to prefer to be in a city like Vegas or Toronto rather than Edmonton or Columbus. 

I'm actually surprised that Edmonton isn't getting more attention. Relatively low infection risk and the consensus best ice in the league.....

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm actually surprised that Edmonton isn't getting more attention. Relatively low infection risk and the consensus best ice in the league.....

Imagine telling your European / Swedish  wife....    Heh , you want  to move from Swedent now to  Edmonton with the kids for the next 2-3 months.. and self isolate 24-7 in a hotel.... with you and the kids...

She says... - is it nice there ?

You say.... People all wear trackpants all day there... but it wont matter as you will be in a hotel room all day with the kids....

This is so  i can make a few more million..