The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

When people are making more money sitting at home and playing video games rather than contributing to society and being back at work then there is a problem. Obviously logic is not your thing. 

I dare you to go ask as many businesses like the smaller restaurants and speak with owners on this particular issue. They can tell you first hand that they are refusing to come back to work. I guess the business owners losing their cars and houses don’t matter to you right?

They might want to try paying more. 

First of all that 2K is not limited to just full time employees so your numbers don’t add up the same way. Many are indeed making more by staying at home.  I know of plenty of people looking for their staff to rejoin them at their business and they are refusing because they rather sit and get the CERB

I think you can also work for up to $1000 per month over and above CERB without losing it. 

It’s real easy for you to say business owners need to pay people more when you’re not the one responsible for all the bills. Do you think it’s feasible to charge $20 for a burrito and everyone is happy? It doesn’t work that way. Your world would cause immediate bankruptcy. Then everyone loses.

Not everyone...just the business owner on the edge. Way too many restaurants anyways. 

Measures for the most vulnerable should remain in place until that vaccine comes.

My point is that there are many in society that would have been able to come back a bit sooner to right some of the damage of this obliterated economy. There was and is no need for CERB to continue for some of those collecting to this day and to days that seem to never end. 

There already is a “universal basic income”. It’s called min wage. We still live in a society where the harder and more you do, the more you will be rewarded. 

Obliterated economy?  I barely know anyone that was laid off........many who started working from home, sure, but I didn't see many businesses outside of the service industry actually shut down......not in the Okanagan anyway.

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Brazil with 55,000+ cases today. :o 

BD253536-B9D7-4ECD-964E-997CB2D0A958.jpeg

Nothing against Brazil but I'm surprised they even have the infrastructure/resources to record 55,000+ new cases... I suppose they are more 1st world than I imagine. The poorer countries undoubtedly will have crappy statistics  

Just now, Chicken. said:

Nothing against Brazil but I'm surprised they even have the infrastructure/resources to record 55,000+ new cases... I suppose they are more 1st world than I imagine. The poorer countries undoubtedly will have crappy statistics  

I expect Brazil's numbers are far, far, far worse.  There's no way they are keeping track of those dying in the poor parts of Rio etc.

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Sometimes there can be a backlog on reporting tests too from some areas in Brazil.