The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Trump rally at NOK was expected to draw upwards of 100,000 with the activities scheduled for the overflow crowd outside.

The arena is half full of maskless dolts. Outside it’s crickets. 

The blaming and excuses are already being crafted by team dotard. 

At least puts a bit of a damper on the spread of the virus. 

Headline...Trump rally flops as BLM ignores it. 

16 hours ago, coastal.view said:

don't worry

their fearless leaders says

it is very much like the common flu

nothing to see here

$&!# hole countries being dragged through even more $&!# because of fanatical right wing populist leaders. Conservatives were quick to bash Cuomo but with Arizona having 1/3 the population of New York, they're very soon to pass them in number of cases. He clearly did the right things at the advice of the doctors. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

US coronavirus cases rise 1.6% vs 1.2% seven-day average

Sun 21 Jun 2020 00:29:12 GMT

Highest rate of change since June 1

US virus cases rose 34,284 in the past day. It's the second day in a row above 30,000 after ranging from 19-28K in the prior week.

• California 3893, or a 2.4% rise
  • Arizona 3109 or a 6.7% rise
  • Florida cases rose 4.5% compared to the seven-day average of 3.4%
  • Texas hospitalizations have hit a record for nine straight days and 4430 new cases
Highest rate of change since June 1
Texas

An equally hot spot right now is Brazil where cases jumped 34,666 in the past day and 1022 people died.

In Beijing there were another 22 confirmed cases on Saturday.

Meanwhile six members of Trump's staff tested positive for the virus ahead of his rally in Tulsa. Crowds were smaller than anticipated. This was purportedly as he took the stage:
Trump rally empty

Early May for Illinois was bad....we peaked at over 6000 cases in one day with a positive test rate over 30%. 

Keep in mind, due to being the 5th most populated state, with the 3rd most populated city (Chicago), the 2nd most densely populated county (Cook County), and being one of the biggest transportation hubs in the country, we were pegged to be a Covid cluster hot spot.

Because of this, Governor Pritzker and Mayor Lightfoot were among the first state and city leaders to enact shutdowns.  They have been criticized, threatened, and sued from companies, churches, lobbyists, and other politicians.  Even President Voldemort has blasted our state on quite a few occasions (we are a HUGE Democrat state) when he's had the chance.

Our country is exploding in cases again with many states hitting record numbers on a daily basis.  In Illinois though, it's the opposite ... our rolling 7 day average is now about 600 cases and a positivity rate of under 3%.  Our hospitals are reporting plenty of beds, rooms, and ventilators available for anyone sick.  We have been slowly opening things back up again the last few weeks, but with heavy precautions.  Hopefully things continue to go well.

Seeing what's happening in other parts of the US, I hope people now realize that instead of being criticized, our governor and mayor should be praised for their early, and precautionary actions.  And I feel bad for the residents of states whose political leaders are making decisions for the sole reason to suck up to and appease the president. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

$&!# hole countries being dragged through even more $&!# because of fanatical right wing populist leaders. Conservatives were quick to bash Cuomo but with Arizona having 1/3 the population of New York, they're very soon to pass them in number of cases. He clearly did the right things at the advice of the doctors. 

This isn't surprising, it was social conservatism that got many of these people into office. Social conservatives have no qualms with science when it conforms to their beliefs, but when it becomes incompatible is when they begin to disparage the experts, accusing them of nefarious plots etc. The conspiracies are just a healthy dose of paranoia and fear to combat factual information. The strategy works great if you are aiming to win an election, ie. just accuse your opponent of witchery. Doesn't work so great when your opponent isn't even human.

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Toews said:

This isn't surprising, it was social conservatism that got many of these people into office. Social conservatives have no qualms with science when it conforms to their beliefs, but when it becomes incompatible is when they begin to disparage the experts, accusing them of nefarious plots etc. The conspiracies are just a healthy dose of paranoia and fear to combat factual information. The strategy works great if you are aiming to win an election, ie. just accuse your opponent of witchery. Doesn't work so great when your opponent isn't even human.

As I’ve said more than once, social conservatives as as annoying as their counterparts on the left (social justice warriors).  Actually more dangerous at the moment since they actually are the ones in power.

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

As I’ve said more than once, social conservatives as as annoying as their counterparts on the left (social justice warriors).  Actually more dangerous at the moment since they actually are the ones in power.

Oh Yea I completely agree. People who day all cons are bad and all dems are great on here are blinded by their love for one side or the other. Both groups are brutal, the only ones I like are those who are floating in the middle and take bits from here and bits from there as opposed to pushing one side or the other. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7085828/bc-coronavirus-strategy/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalBC&fbclid=IwAR1_8PfcGYC52eH7XxramsS782T-B7MK_1HVZrAWLuiSl-Rf_Z2bmAfxr7E

So allowing Dr. Henry to do her job is in stark contrast to what Trump did...which is meddle, interfere and poo poo some of his experts.  

I'm so impressed with how our streamlined system and official(s) provided updates, information and recommendations in a consistent, calm way.  Rather than fragmented and coming from all angles, leading to a "who/what do we listen to?" scenario.

Well done, BC Health officials!  And to all those who followed their guidance.

We also benefit from the proactive approach the state of Washington in regards to the pandemic (especially important considering all the traffic between us).  A solid "team effort".  Could things have been better?  Sure, but nobody's is perfect.  And this is from somebody who hasn't voted NDP provincially since the Harcourt days.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We also benefit from the proactive approach the state of Washington in regards to the pandemic (especially important considering all the traffic between us).  A solid "team effort".  Could things have been better?  Sure, but nobody's is perfect.  And this is from somebody who hasn't voted NDP provincially since the Harcourt days.

Probably the biggest benefit to BC was being so far away from New York state where the infection really seemed to get started quickly......  I think NY got hit hard with its large amount of tourism / world travellers / connections with Europe

The BC spring break is also the latest and that definately helps as  BC went to shut down mode pretty much the day before our break. Many BCers cancelled their spring break plans and stayed home.  This probably really helped. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Probably the biggest benefit to BC was being so far away from New York state where the infection really seemed to get started quickly......  I think NY got hit hard with its large amount of tourism / world travellers / connections with Europe

The BC spring break is also the latest and that definately helps as  BC went to shut down mode pretty much the day before our break. Many BCers cancelled their spring break plans and stayed home.  This probably really helped. 

While what you posted is true. BC should have got clobbered with Covid19. The first major outbreak in the USA was in Kirkland in Washington State right below us. The proximity alone should have led to a lot more cases north of the border.

Secondly, we have a significant portion of the BC population with direct ties to China and the Far East. That too, should have theoretically led to a large number of cases that just never materialized. 

How does Alberta have nearly triple the cases of BC? It just doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm grateful that we have done as well as we have but it is kind of hard to explain how we managed to avoid the brunt of it (so far anyway).

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

While what you posted is true. BC should have got clobbered with Covid19. The first major outbreak in the USA was in Kirkland in Washington State right below us. The proximity alone should have led to a lot more cases north of the border.

Secondly, we have a significant portion of the BC population with direct ties to China and the Far East. That too, should have theoretically led to a large number of cases that just never materialized. 

How does Alberta have nearly triple the cases of BC? It just doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm grateful that we have done as well as we have but it is kind of hard to explain how we managed to avoid the brunt of it (so far anyway).

Best guess: Meat packing plants.

No evidence that banjos or chewing tobacco are efficient transmitters....B)

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Best guess: Meat packing plants.

No evidence that banjos or chewing tobacco are efficient transmitters....B)

Meat packing plants have definately spread the virus..

I thought i read most CDN's have covid strain from the USA.  Very VERY few Canadians got covid with a Chinese strain....  So basically  the BC chinese community did not really bring covid into BC...   Mostly BC Covid probably came in from CDN's that were visiting the USA ...

Maybe Eastern Canada has alot more USA border crossings/ tourism than BC does..

Just my theory... could be totally wrong ......

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

I know Alberta has tested way more than BC, and that would make a difference.

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

If a schmuck like GOP Florida state governor Ron DeSantis was governor of Washington State, it would've turned out really bad (with the after-effects spilling over into our province).  

• Upvote 1

WHO reports largest single-day increase in coronavirus cases

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/who-reports-largest-single-day-increase-in-coronavirus-cases-1.4993366

Meanwhile the Dutch are not too happy about the lock downs. A bunch of football yobos helped turn it violent. 

400 arrested in The Hague as troublemakers clash with police after demo

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/06/400-arrested-in-the-hague-as-troublemakers-clash-with-police-after-demo/

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7085828/bc-coronavirus-strategy/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalBC&fbclid=IwAR1_8PfcGYC52eH7XxramsS782T-B7MK_1HVZrAWLuiSl-Rf_Z2bmAfxr7E

So allowing Dr. Henry & Adrian Dix to do their jobs is in stark contrast to what Trump did (meddle, interfere and poo poo some of his experts).  

I'm so impressed with how our streamlined system and official(s) provided updates, information and recommendations in a consistent, calm way.  Rather than fragmented and coming from all angles, leading to a "who/what do we listen to?" scenario.

Well done, BC Health officials!  And to all those who followed their guidance.

i agree

and unfortunately in the usa

it is politicized at federal and state levels

though cuomo did a good job in new york

he was a bit slow on the uptake

but then really hit the ground running - impressive

except,

he did exactly what trump did

hogged the spotlight - and being a politician - made the whole endeavour way way too political

he should have done it bc style.. have the doctor start, do most of the talking, and take the lead in question answering

and the cuomo could have filled in gaps

but no, not in the usa

cuomo did his own trump impression in his approach and in the optics he presented

that country is so incredibly polarized

their demise will be incredibly swift

unless this recent round of protests

really does make huge systemic changes

but i doubt it will .. as only part of the problem is political systemic

part of it is economic - multinationals that are immune to this sort of protest

unless the protesting turns into boycotting certain economic entities

and that sort of pressure is only being hinted at presently

trump is an autocrat wanna be

and the wealthiest in the usa

are oligarch wanna bes

makes sense that russia is so involved in assisting reshaping the usa political/economic scenery

• Cheers 1