The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

19 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Well that would assume that number stays consistent over 500+ players which it surely wouldn’t.

In reality I bet it’s closer to 2% which should have been expected anyways. To think no player was going to get infected was unlikely.

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well that would assume that number stays consistent over 500+ players which it surely wouldn’t.

In reality I bet it’s closer to 2% which should have been expected anyways. To think no player was going to get infected was unlikely.

Considering how young people are managing their Covid lives?

Inevitable.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

In Illinois, not only do you get unemployment checks, but you got an additional $600 per week on top of that.

I have no issue with the people who have been laid off, furloughed, or who lost their jobs completely because the industry their in has been completely shut down.  I have no problem with the elderly and most vulnerable staying home.   If they have mortgages/rent, mouths to feed, bills to pay, then by all means the State should help them out.

I'm complaining about the 20 somethings still living at home, that are literally filling up the bars on a nightly basis partying like there's no tomorrow.  The bars in my area are loaded with them, every...single...night.  Just last week there was a reporter on WGN at a bar asking people there why they are taking such risks and one response was bragging about how much money they're making from unemployment while someone behind him yelled "I hope Covid NEVER goes away!"  These are the people that need to be cut off.  

I don't mind going to work every day, I actually enjoy my job.  But I sure as hell don't want to go every day just so my taxes can pay for some freeloading 23 year old that wants to retire early and party his balls off.

Locally farmers have been complaining for months that the usual migrant workers haven’t been allowed to come into Canada and work the crops...when we have probably 50-100k people in there 18-23 year old age bracket sitting at home getting fed by mommy collecting CERB cheque’s...perfectly able bodies.   It’s ridiculous really.    Sad thing is they won’t do the work because it’s too “hard”.    Or too “hot” or too “buggy” which is why farmers rely on migrant workers in the first place.   It’s scary to think what might happen if we were ever invaded.  Country would rely on 40-70 year olds to deal with it.   Maybe a little extreme ... but not too far off the mark either.  Used to be at 16-18 you went on your way to get on with life ... wonder what the average age kids leave the home now is? 

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, grandmaster said:

What don’t you not get about employers? They are the ones taking the risks and paying all the bills. Many businesses are barely keeping their heads above water. You have absolutely nothing in you that can see what others go through. You’re very self centred. Let’s put it this way since you think that way. What’s going to happen when that business goes bankrupt to “pay you more”? Wait, I know. You don’t care because you will just collect EI right? :picard:

We haven't seen the true fallout from C-19 yet. Massive employment in small and large businesses that will not recover. Many people do not understand the confidence in future outcomes that people who invest count on. They also grossly over estimate how much people make from such investments. Many people who start businesses are essentially creating themselves a job. A small number gain traction and actually grow their businesses into something greater. Demand destruction is a reality. Governments are trying to retain the capacity of businesses to re-employ laid off workers. At some point they will no longer be able to do that. True capitalism demands the destruction of unprofitable businesses. It is very disruptive and causes great hardship for many.  

8 hours ago, spur1 said:

No I will go get a job at a viable business. 
Most businesses are just exploiting workers instead of employing them. 

Good luck with that when there are millions lining up for that same job you want. Better yet since businesses are exploiting workers so much why don't you start your own business and show the world a better way? 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1
On 6/18/2020 at 11:42 PM, grandmaster said:

- why is the NHL looking at high infection areas for game sites? This whole thing is a TV related issue and it doesn’t matter if it’s being played in the Yukon. As long as there are ice rinks and hotels, there not be any need for anything else. Places like Toronto and even all of the US should be a NO!

does not really matter which city the nhl designates as a hub city

they could have chosen nyc at the height of its outbreak

the protocols that the nhl and its player adopt are the key factors

the weaker the protocols, the higher the need for a "safer" city

rumour has it that many pros (not just nhlers) do not want to return to play due to the risk involved

so it seems to me the protocols will be fairly strict

let's see what the protocols are that each league adopts

and let's see how they actually educate their players

about absolute adherence to the protocols

people will be the weakest link to any framework put in place by any pro league

Spoiler

in theory the league and players could agree

to implement china type health security measures

and weld closed the front doors of the hotels where the players stay

and transport them to practices via helicopter

Edited by coastal.view
5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Good luck with that when there are millions lining up for that same job you want. Better yet since businesses are exploiting workers so much why don't you start your own business and show the world a better way? 

Yep.  The “man” - or employers are the only reason anyone have a job in the first place.   We live in a country that anyone who’s willing to work hard enough they can build a nest egg and start a business.  It’s those types (the ones who are willing to put 60-80 hours a week in to establish themselves) that provide the 35 hour “full-time” work week for everyone else.   If your not fond of your job or employer spend the time to learn the skills to get a different one.   And there are 1000’s of good corporations to work for too.   The only one stopping anyone from this in Canada at least, is in the one in the  mirror looking right back at you.   Sure times are hard.   Not the first time - but I’m sure the first time for many.   Hopefully we as a species will come out of it stronger and more prepared for the next times.  

Grew up hearing about the Great Depression.   Snacks in our house consisted of dried old bread - mostly crusts hard a rocks that were eaten with worchestire sauce - because nothing was wasted and thats one of the things my grandparents ate during those times and passed on.   Couldn’t pass it on to my kids though - now it would probably constitute as “abusive”.  Then they had to go fight a war for five years.   Made them tough.   Even during this pandemic there is still a lot of excess as far as food goes, maybe that will change but for now at least it’s available and it’s affordable.   And at least the government is forking our billions to keep the wolves at bay for a lot of folks.   Don’t re-call any stories of that during the Great Depression ... times have changed.   Hopefully this will give some lazy folks a kick in the ass.   But I’m sure a lot of them will just use this as an excuse to blame someone or something else.   Natural selection also works in the job market...baby bombers and next up generation x can’t work forever, the next generations need to step up its their turn now and soon. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

This contact tracing app is going to be useless if it's voluntary, especially given the hysteria around data privacy here. All of the data is anonymized.

All of these people paranoid about their privacy is completely asinine. How self-centered do you have to be to think the government is out to breach your personal data in light of a pandemic. The government doesn't care about your embarrassing internet history, my god.

Contact tracing has been proven to be a wide success in Korea and Hong Kong. The proof is in the number of cases in those countries. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Hydration 1
17 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

This contact tracing app is going to be useless if it's voluntary, especially given the hysteria around data privacy here. All of the data is anonymized.

All of these people paranoid about their privacy is completely asinine. How self-centered do you have to be to think the government is out to breach your personal data in light of a pandemic. The government doesn't care about your embarrassing internet history, my god.

Contact tracing has been proven to be a wide success in Korea and Hong Kong. The proof is in the number of cases in those countries. 

Agree completely

I find there are a lot of people who forget what living under a democratic government entails. 

As a democracy we're entitled to several rights and freedoms, but we also agree to give up some by virtue of electing a government into power. 

Provinces have mostly been put under a "state of emergency." It's a phrase we throw around a lot these days, but I hope everyone understands that it gives the government extraordinary powers to use in order to stop the spread of COVID. We all seem to be doing fine with this reality and then suddenly there are people out there up in arms with a god damn app that's been proven to help stop the spread. 

The hypocrisy makes me livid.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Timbermen said:

Of course you'd agree, Comrade.

So, you're afraid for your privacy should the government enact the same level of tracing as China, Taiwan and Hong Kong?

Trump rally at NOK was expected to draw upwards of 100,000 with the activities scheduled for the overflow crowd outside.

The arena is half full of maskless dolts. Outside it’s crickets. 

The blaming and excuses are already being crafted by team dotard. 

At least puts a bit of a damper on the spread of the virus. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Timbermen said:

Of course you'd agree, Comrade.

4 hours ago, stawns said:

The Beatles Russia GIF by Mr A Hayes

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

More commie propaganda.  With adequate 'prep-time', Batman will always kick Superman's ass.:P

Maybe you guys can sit down together and read some material written by De Leon, Camus, Kafka etc.

• -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic