Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak


CBH1926

Recommended Posts

WHO reports largest single-day increase in coronavirus cases

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/who-reports-largest-single-day-increase-in-coronavirus-cases-1.4993366

 

 

 

Meanwhile the Dutch are not too happy about the lock downs. A bunch of football yobos helped turn it violent. 

400 arrested in The Hague as troublemakers clash with police after demo

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/06/400-arrested-in-the-hague-as-troublemakers-clash-with-police-after-demo/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7085828/bc-coronavirus-strategy/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalBC&fbclid=IwAR1_8PfcGYC52eH7XxramsS782T-B7MK_1HVZrAWLuiSl-Rf_Z2bmAfxr7E

 

So allowing Dr. Henry & Adrian Dix to do their jobs is in stark contrast to what Trump did (meddle, interfere and poo poo some of his experts).  


I'm so impressed with how our streamlined system and official(s) provided updates, information and recommendations in a consistent, calm way.  Rather than fragmented and coming from all angles, leading to a "who/what do we listen to?" scenario.

Well done, BC Health officials!  And to all those who followed their guidance.

i agree

 

and unfortunately in the usa

it is politicized at federal and state levels

though cuomo did a good job in new york

he was a bit slow on the uptake

but then really hit the ground running - impressive

 

except,

he did exactly what trump did

hogged the spotlight - and being a politician - made the whole endeavour way way too political

he should have done it bc style.. have the doctor start, do most of the talking, and take the lead in question answering

and the cuomo could have filled in gaps

but no, not in the usa

cuomo did his own trump impression in his approach and in the optics he presented

 

that country is so incredibly polarized

their demise will be incredibly swift

unless this recent round of protests

really does make huge systemic changes

but i doubt it will .. as only part of the problem is political systemic

part of it is economic - multinationals that are immune to this sort of protest

unless the protesting turns into boycotting certain economic entities

and that sort of pressure is only being hinted at presently

 

trump is an autocrat wanna be

and the wealthiest in the usa

are oligarch wanna bes

makes sense that russia is so involved in assisting reshaping the usa political/economic scenery

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Russ said:

Oh Yea I completely agree. People who day all cons are bad and all dems are great on here are blinded by their love for one side or the other. Both groups are brutal, the only ones I like are those who are floating in the middle and take bits from here and bits from there as opposed to pushing one side or the other. 

Extremist views are dangerous - regardless of what ideologies are driving them.

 

Here in Alberta, it is largely the far right hicks causing the stir with outright murderous hate for Trudeau, as well as viewpoints that are denied to be driven by racism - yet clearly are. In any case, these people are in constant states of agitation, and will accept nobody else's position regardless of overwhelming evidence contrary to their position.

 

Sorry to say that as a white guy, it is my own race that scares me the most.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My nephew got  mandatory temperature tested today / mask was required also  before entering a store today  in Metro Town.

 

BUT ....  he is good to go to  school tomorrow... no temperature  testing done.  He doesn't even need to wear a mask.........

 

  - waiting for the 2nd wave to hit us.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

My nephew got  mandatory temperature tested today / mask was required also  before entering a store today  in Metro Town.

 

BUT ....  he is good to go to  school tomorrow... no temperature  testing done.  He doesn't even need to wear a mask.........

 

  - waiting for the 2nd wave to hit us.....

Call your representative first thing in the morning and DEMAND ANSWERS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Meat packing plants have definately spread the virus..

 

I thought i read most CDN's have covid strain from the USA.  Very VERY few Canadians got covid with a Chinese strain....  So basically  the BC chinese community did not really bring covid into BC...   Mostly BC Covid probably came in from CDN's that were visiting the USA ...

Maybe Eastern Canada has alot more USA border crossings/ tourism than BC does..

 

Just my theory... could be totally wrong ......

I'm guessing a ton of snowbirds returning to Quebec from that cesspool of the virus (Florida).  A number of them re-entered by way of Ontario after the Quebec border was closed off (I think).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Meat packing plants have definately spread the virus..

 

I thought i read most CDN's have covid strain from the USA.  Very VERY few Canadians got covid with a Chinese strain....  So basically  the BC chinese community did not really bring covid into BC...   Mostly BC Covid probably came in from CDN's that were visiting the USA ...

Maybe Eastern Canada has alot more USA border crossings/ tourism than BC does..

 

Just my theory... could be totally wrong ......

earliest travel cases in bc were from people returning from egypt, iran and china

and then there was that dental conference as well

this history of transmissions is shown in the early graphs when travel was tracked

community cases soon came on and most transmission was local

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

21st of June. 13,571 new cases in the US. 

Almost 2.25 MILLION cases. 

Almost 120,000 deaths. 

 

To put this into perspective:

US Forces deaths in Vietnam: 58,318

9/11: 2,996

 

And the second wave is supposed to be worse. 

 

While the war statistics are interesting it isn't really the same situation I think other health related stats give a bigger picture of how many people are dying down there;

 

Need to keep in mind covid has only been around for less than half the year thus far so it will gain on on this list perhaps reach #3

 

image.png.5535dc467b89fa5e2de1a1cdcbf23423.png 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

21st of June. 13,571 new cases in the US. 

Almost 2.25 MILLION cases. 

Almost 120,000 deaths. 

 

To put this into perspective:

US Forces deaths in Vietnam: 58,318

9/11: 2,996

 

And the second wave is supposed to be worse. 

 

 

US Civil War I: 755,000 (est.)

WWII US casualties: 405,399

Covid: 122,000

WWI US casualties: 116,500

Vietnam: 58,318

 

Edited by Me_
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chicken. said:

While the war statistics are interesting it isn't really the same situation I think other health related stats give a bigger picture of how many people are dying down there;

 

Need to keep in mind covid has only been around for less than half the year thus far so it will gain on on this list perhaps reach #3

 

image.png.5535dc467b89fa5e2de1a1cdcbf23423.png 

Thing is, COVID comes on fast and furious and has no "cure".  The other things can be cured and some are also things that people may contribute to through lifestyle that can be changed.  Not so much with covid (other than taking precautions to avoid it).

Trying to lump it in with other things to prove a point only proves that it's something we all need to take very seriously and do everything in our power to contain and avoid spreading.

People with heart disease and cancer often know in advance and have hope of treatment.  COVID is basically a fingers crossed deal right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

US CDC reports 27,616 new coronavirus cases vs 34,284 a day earlier

Mon 22 Jun 2020 17:53:48 GMT

 

Case growth in the US declines

Case growth in the US declines
 
The numbers reported Friday and Saturday were the first rises above 30,000 but we're back down now. That's likely a result of the weekend under-reporting effect but we'll just have to wait until later in the week to find out.

The CDC also reported 308 new deaths to bring the total just shy of 120,000.
 
The overall trend in the US right now is for fewer hospitalizations and deaths despite higher case numbers. How is that possible?
 
  1. The virus is weakening
  2. Treatment is improving
  3. Younger people are getting the virus
That's generally good news but the part of about the virus weakening is certainly in dispute. A bigger factor is likely lower viral loads because of precautions.
 
The trend towards younger cohorts is backed up by data but the risk is that the waves of young people going out and getting infected in bars or social activities works its way through the 'food chain' and older and vulnerable people eventually get it, so cases spike again.
 
***************
 

Texas governor says virus spreading at unacceptable rate

Mon 22 Jun 2020 19:22:32 GMT

 

Vice President also making some concerning comments about coronavirus on youth

The Texas Gov. is on the wires saying that the virus is spreading at an unacceptable pace.    Also it is being reported by ABC that Vice Pres. Pence told US governors that younger people are increasingly testing positive, a trend that is worrying experts.
Edited by nuckin_futz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, COVID comes on fast and furious and has no "cure".  The other things can be cured and some are also things that people may contribute to through lifestyle that can be changed.  Not so much with covid (other than taking precautions to avoid it).

Trying to lump it in with other things to prove a point only proves that it's something we all need to take very seriously and do everything in our power to contain and avoid spreading.

People with heart disease and cancer often know in advance and have hope of treatment.  COVID is basically a fingers crossed deal right now.

Of course its something we need to take seriously, as many have been. I was merely adding some more relevant annual stats than the world war war deaths totals.

 

Is there a cure for cancer ?  What causes cancer ?  Many people have recovered from COVID

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, COVID comes on fast and furious and has no "cure".  The other things can be cured and some are also things that people may contribute to through lifestyle that can be changed.  Not so much with covid (other than taking precautions to avoid it).

Trying to lump it in with other things to prove a point only proves that it's something we all need to take very seriously and do everything in our power to contain and avoid spreading.

People with heart disease and cancer often know in advance and have hope of treatment.  COVID is basically a fingers crossed deal right now.

And I also add that I can't directly give anyone else Heart Disease or Cancer.  Not so with Covid which is the main problem with this.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Of course its something we need to take seriously, as many have been. I was merely adding some more relevant annual stats than the world war war deaths totals.

 

Is there a cure for cancer ?  What causes cancer ?  Many people have recovered from COVID

People can recover from cancer.  Yes, many also have recovered from COVID but there's not real course of action in getting there.  It's mostly "relieve the symptoms" and cross your fingers.  Cancer offers radiation, chemotherapy, surgical removal of cancerous cells, etc.

 

Heart disease risks can be significantly reduced through lifestyle changes - reducing stress, quitting smoking, eating healthy, exercising.

 

When you get COVID there's little you can do to "combat it" other than wait and see. Ventilators offer help breathing but nothing is really there to try to reverse COVID.  

 

But you can spread covid and if you have cancer or heart disease, that isn't the case.  So it's about exponential growth.

 

No cure or absolutes with cancer, no.  But there is help that can be offered in a proactive way to try to save the life of a cancer victim.  Covid victims really can't do much other than try to avoid getting it...once they have it, it's manage the symptoms and hope you recover.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

People can recover from cancer.  Yes, many also have recovered from COVID but there's not real course of action in getting there.  It's mostly "relieve the symptoms" and cross your fingers.  Cancer offers radiation, chemotherapy, surgical removal of cancerous cells, etc.

 

Heart disease risks can be significantly reduced through lifestyle changes - reducing stress, quitting smoking, eating healthy, exercising.

 

When you get COVID there's little you can do to "combat it" other than wait and see. Ventilators offer help breathing but nothing is really there to try to reverse COVID.  

 

But you can spread covid and if you have cancer or heart disease, that isn't the case.  So it's about exponential growth.

 

No cure or absolutes with cancer, no.  But there is help that can be offered in a proactive way to try to save the life of a cancer victim.  Covid victims really can't do much other than try to avoid getting it...once they have it, it's manage the symptoms and hope you recover.

Heart disease is generally a product of one's lifestyle yes.

 

I didn't intend to get in a discussion about it and am in no way minimizing the dangerousness of covid for those at-risk. the fact it is easily contagious makes it scarier for many.

 

I think the cancer comparison is more accurate as there are still many unknowns. there are so many types of cancer and possible causes it's crazy. is there one cause for how a person develops cancer ?

 

I read that nearly 1 in 2 Canadians can expect to be diagnosed with cancer at some point in their life. 

 

With 102K covid cases in canada and 64K deemed recovered (most that had moderate symptoms were told to stay simply stay home and wait it out like Stawns) I think there is a pretty proactive method to save lives here unless you are immunocompromised in some way then of course you are at a higher risk no matter what disease or virus you contract. 

 

Hopefully a vaccine comes sooner than later so those higher risk individuals can live normally again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chicken. said:

While the war statistics are interesting it isn't really the same situation I think other health related stats give a bigger picture of how many people are dying down there;

 

Need to keep in mind covid has only been around for less than half the year thus far so it will gain on on this list perhaps reach #3

 

image.png.5535dc467b89fa5e2de1a1cdcbf23423.png 

And the numbers for Covid are with unprecedented drastic risk control measures in place (ie. when was the last time borders across the world were closed?)... curfews all over the states, masks and gloves being worn, physical distancing protocols, gatherings to be limited, stores closed, quarantines and self isolation measures, etc. etc.  Sure there's people that break the rules, but I still believe the majority of people are following them... even in the USA.

 

Can you imagine if these measures were not in place? I'm pretty sure there would be 500,000 to 1,000,000 deaths in the States already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...