The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Timbermen said:

Why is to that there's been tons of outbreaks at nursing homes after they've been quarantined from their family's for 3 months, not even being allowed to say their last goodbyes on their deathbeds. If they aren't getting it from them, where do they get it from? Did one of them escape? The workers are also quarantined from their family, so how is there all these outbreaks after 3 months of quarantining? Many people have pointed out that family members that were corona cases died from other ailments, why does youtube and FB take those down as well as medical professionals that have uploaded vids of what they see at work? I saw half a dozen doctors say that malaria Q drug  works, their opinion isn't good enough? Being on the front lines, they're not allowed to upload a video of what they see?

Why doesn't the virus effect BLM protesters or Chaz but it does Trump supporters protesting the virus? Is it being used for politics by the dems? Sure seems that way to me, considering how many cases in the US. Someone please give me a rational response and not some FB memes, please? Change my mind by using reason, not an emotional knee jerk reaction.

In terms of care homes, a big challenge and cause for spread of COVID - 19 was the sharing of staff between care homes.  Certainly not all staff was quarantined away from their families, that might have been the case in some instances, but not completely.  Workers were often scheduled to work in multiple care homes so if infected they could spread the virus easily in multiple locations.  That was the big push for the BC provincial government to work to establish single location scheduling which they finally achieved at all care homes in the past couple of weeks.  Now all care home workers are scheduled to a single care home so that should help significantly if we end up in a spike of cases as anticipated in the fall.  

I think one needs to carefully examine so called experts - generally if YouTube or FB have taken down video clips it's because there were complaints about the veracity of the content.  Medical doctors may have significant medical training, but they may also have underlying reasons to take a specific position, especially if they can profit financially from their position and convincing others of their position.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

These antivax nutbars? You bet I do

Didn't you watch it, GetBackJoeJoe? Get Back To The USSR, can't you hear the balalaika's ringing out?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balalaika#:~:text=The balalaika (Russian%3A балала́йка%2C pronounced [bəɫɐˈɫajkə]) is a,wooden%2C hollow body%2C fretted neck and three strings.

17 minutes ago, skategal said:

In terms of care homes, a big challenge and cause for spread of COVID - 19 was the sharing of staff between care homes.  Certainly not all staff was quarantined away from their families, that might have been the case in some instances, but not completely.  Workers were often scheduled to work in multiple care homes so if infected they could spread the virus easily in multiple locations.  That was the big push for the BC provincial government to work to establish single location scheduling which they finally achieved at all care homes in the past couple of weeks.  Now all care home workers are scheduled to a single care home so that should help significantly if we end up in a spike of cases as anticipated in the fall.  

I think one needs to carefully examine so called experts - generally if YouTube or FB have taken down video clips it's because there were complaints about the veracity of the content.  Medical doctors may have significant medical training, but they may also have underlying reasons to take a specific position, especially if they can profit financially from their position and convincing others of their position.  

This was a far better response than GetBackJoeJoe's. I heard of the multiple care home workers quite awhile ago, i guess it takes awhile to reschedule every care home. Did you watch that video? That guy knows his stuff. Triple board certified MD. 

3 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Didn't you watch it, GetBackJoeJoe? Get Back To The USSR, can't you hear the balalaika's ringing out?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balalaika#:~:text=The balalaika (Russian%3A балала́йка%2C pronounced [bəɫɐˈɫajkə]) is a,wooden%2C hollow body%2C fretted neck and three strings.

This was a far better response than GetBackJoeJoe's. I heard of the multiple care home workers quite awhile ago, i guess it takes awhile to reschedule every care home. Did you watch that video? That guy knows his stuff. Triple board certified MD. 

I think some care homes were responsible and only employed full time care aids.... I think other less responsible care homes still let their workers work in multiple homes.

Regulations are great but with out adequate enforcement. / enforced penalties.... .... s happens....

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think some care homes were responsible and only employed full time care aids.... I think other less responsible care homes still let their workers work in multiple homes.

Regulations are great but with out adequate enforcement. / enforced penalties.... .... s happens....

They do that to avoid paying overtime too. Hopefully they fix that problem. Thats really bad considering what the care workers have to go through now. Big thank you to them for sure. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

They do that to avoid paying overtime too. Hopefully they fix that problem. Thats really bad considering what the care workers have to go through now. Big thank you to them for sure. 

Yes, without gov. regs and enforcement.... it can be really be a race to the bottom......

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

It's manipulative for the care home owners/managers as they maintain part time staff and avoid having to pay all the benefits that a full time employee would earn, and the workers have to scramble, working at multiple locations to generate a living income.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, skategal said:

It's manipulative for the care home owners/managers as they maintain part time staff and avoid having to pay all the benefits that a full time employee would earn, and the workers have to scramble, working at multiple locations to generate a living income.  

Our seniors deserve so much better than this.  Sickening.

My father last year passed away... after spending 3-4 months in a care home.  My mom even with Fraser health assistance could not care for his complex needs at home.

It was super hard on the family to see him go to a care home but my moms health began to crash with him having so many issues at home with her.  Fraser Health home support care was not a good experience for us.  

His care home staff were wonderful.  I work 5 minutes away so i got to spend time every day with him .. getting old westerns on his TV and daily baseball games for him.

Seniors in Canada deserve quality safe care homes.   This pandemic has been an eye opening for Canadians on the substandard care that we give to our seniors.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Timbermen said:

There has been doctors who've spent their entire careers studying infectious diseases saying these things and youtube deletes them? Do you know more than this guy?

Man this guy reminds me of Tom Brady lol.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, skategal said:

Did a quick search for Dr. Bush - he is selling something which makes me highly suspicious of his motives.  I'll stick with Dr. Henry and her science and experience based analysis and recommendations.  

both those clowns have been thoroughly debunked

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So do the employees carrying for them.

Has the CDN government failed its citizens....

Should foreign governments be permitted to own CDN care homes..?

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Has the CDN government failed its citizens....

Should foreign governments be permitted to own CDN care homes..?

iirc care homes are a provincial responsibility.

4 hours ago, gurn said:

iirc care homes are a provincial responsibility.

I believe they are, however in some instances they have been allowed to privatize and become "for profit" which then puts the decision making into a different bucket.  IMHO there should be an independent 3rd party tasked with overseeing care homes to ensure regulations are met, a specified level of care is met through adequate training and staffing levels.  I'd be happy to see my tax dollars going to ensure that our elders are provided with comfort and caring during their last years.   

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, skategal said:

Did a quick search for Dr. Bush - he is selling something which makes me highly suspicious of his motives.  I'll stick with Dr. Henry and her science and experience based analysis and recommendations.  

Lol....and the other clown in that video is a noted antivaccinator.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Some straight talk from a former Insurance executive, who has since come over to the "Light" side:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/coronavirus-reveals-difference-between-us-canadian-health-care-former-insurance-executive-says/ar-BB15YMmp?li=AAggNb9

The stark differences in how the coronavirus pandemic has unfolded in the U.S. and in Canada show the flaws in for-profit health care, according to a former U.S. health insurance executive who now advocates for medicare.

"You learn a lot about a health-care system when a global crisis hits (and) different nations have different results. Canada’s single-payer system is saving lives," Wendell Potter said in a series of tweets Thursday.

"The U.S. profit-driven corporate model is failing. I'll regret slandering Canada's system for the rest of my life."

Potter, a former communications vice-president with U.S. insurer Cigna who now leads an organization called Medicare for All Now!, said insurance companies have spent big on attempts to discredit the Canadian system.

"It was a lie (and) the nations' COVID responses prove it," he wrote. "The truth: Canada's doing much better than the U.S. when it comes to COVID-19 testing and treatment.

"On a per capita basis, more Canadians are being tested (and) fewer getting sick (and) dying. This may shock Americans who still believe the lies I told about the Canadian health care system."

Cigna did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday afternoon. Nor did the industry group America's Health Insurance Plans, which Potter accused of supplying insurance executives with "cherry-picked data (and) anecdotes" to encourage the perception that Canadians face unreasonable wait times.

In an interview, Potter said he wanted to draw attention to the reality north of the border, and "what can happen when you have a system that is better organized" than in the United States.

COVID-19 has claimed more than 8,500 lives in Canada as of Thursday. In the U.S., which has a population nearly nine times greater than Canada's, there have been more than 122,000 fatalities, according to figures compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

For every 100,000 people, Canada has had 23 deaths, while the U.S. has had about 37, according to the university researchers' calculations.

Canada has also tested a greater proportion of its residents. On average, the U.S. has tested 56 people per 100,000 daily, while Canada has tested 65 per 100,000, Johns Hopkins data shows.

Of course, the health care systems aren't the only difference.....there's also the Orange clown in charge in the US....his stupidity and adherence to his own self interest has undoubtedly contributed to the increase in numbers in America.

• Upvote 1