The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Of course , but the threat of enforcement is also powerful in altering peoples behaviours.. 

Ticketing  / fining companies when employees are not following regulations would be useful. 

So much infection from USA meatpacking  industry.... Where was the enforcement ?   So sad to see those workers making minimum wages working under very unsafe working conditions.

USA is just a messed up place....

As California began to rapidly reopen the economy, officials in Santa Cruz County decided the safe thing to do was keep its landmark beaches largely closed in the afternoons to prevent crowds that could spread the coronavirus.

But the public increasingly ignored the rules and demanded their summer on the sand, swimming, sunbathing and just hanging out. Unable to stop the crowds, county officials simply gave up.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-07-03/how-california-went-from-coronavirus-success-story-to-sitting-on-the-precipice-of-disaster

There are so many variables to the nightmare that is going on south of the border.  I see no comparison to how the pandemic is being handled in BC in any way.  After all...Ca has 8X the population of BC. 

Ca opened up way to early and now they are suffering the consequence.

24 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

There are so many variables to the nightmare that is going on south of the border.  I see no comparison to how the pandemic is being handled in BC in any way.  After all...Ca has 8X the population of BC. 

Ca opened up way to early and now they are suffering the consequence.

Exactly.  You can't compare BC to many places because look at how our numbers are doing.  They have done things in a smart way, yea theres still some inherit risk each time you go out but as you said when there are less than 20 cases a day being confirmed and only 2 ICU beds, I have no reason NOT to trust what Bonnie has told us to do.  The fact some places are making masks mandatory and in BC we aren't because we have actually stabalized our numbers to an extent is a good thing.  I don't fear going to the park, to the river, to the trails, to the store, etc.  If I was in the USA where those numbers are crazy in some places then I would have a much different opinion on the virus and health officials but Bonnie and Horgan have done a great job so far, I can't fault them at all for anything they say and do, if they say its safe to do x y and z, then I will believe them that its safe to do x y and z until it goes completely sideways and I loose faith in them.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/07/03/comedians-bryan-callen-brendan-schaub-test-positive-for-covid-19-after-san-antonio-show/

Comedians Bryan Callen, Brendan Schaub test positive for COVID-19 after San Antonio show

'If you fist-bumped me... or took a picture with me after the show, go get tested.'

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They take the saying “give me liberty or give me death” quite literally down there.

You could tell them there’s radioactive man eating sharks in the water and they would still go in for swim in the name of freedom.

Just a bizarre idea of what it means to be a citizen down there.

Dude, the way 2020 is going, I think you just jinxed it.

• Haha 1

Scotland has almost eliminated it, but it's impossible for us to entirely due to the moronic actions of the government to the South. 

It's not a dig at the English people, but the spread is inevitable when they'll visit later this month. Pubs opened down there at 6am today. 6am. During a pandemic. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Mr Washington would be here most of the time any way , the owns allied ship yards , ship yards in Victoria , yates towing , seaspan  towing(huge) up and down the coast of bc , his companies are currently refurbishing 4 submarines , 12 Canadian  navy frigates and will complete 17  coast guard vessels. his companies would rank him 2nd on canada's west coast behind smit marine which is a global corp. seaspan tows huge barges of waste by products (sawdust) and larger chips used in chip board manufacturing.              prince rupert to nanaimo     prince rupert to Vancouver , the shipping of these commodities goes every day. this is not just some rich tourist.                                                         https://www.seaspan.com/seaspan-shipyards-current-programs

• Vintage 2

Dennis also does the repairs on many B.C. ferries. Formed a subsidiary company that built the fast cats; then bought those ships for pennies on the dollar, when the Liberals sold them off as a publicity stunt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Dennis also does the repairs on many B.C. ferries. Formed a subsidiary company that built the fast cats; then bought those ships for pennies on the dollar, when the Liberals sold them off as a publicity stunt.

he's definitely got  his hands on the whole coast , everything that happens in Vancouver harbour , he's got his finger prints all over it.

• Upvote 1

the bigger problem  with americans plying the coast would be the hundreds of small yachts ,sail boats,  cabin cruisers , kayaks, from  California  ,oregon , washington ,traveling to Alaska  and Albertans inundating the coast over the last 2 months. going pretty much unchecked . just another summer it  seems.  as well Alaska ferry terminal here in rupert is going full tilt ,  americans traveling thru bc to get to the ferry term here,

Edited by chon derry

55 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

More and more I hear people saying stuff like ' we will have to live with it, were all going to get it at some point, more people will die from the economy falling"

We're slipping into a society that doesn't care about our most vulnerable and may go even further to a society that doesn't care about their neighbours if they get in the way of getting back to so called normal.

I don't want to live in that society. Will it one day be like Logan's Run? we will only keep the optimal people at the optimal age?

I think it’s been like that for a while now. It’s just much more exposed at the moment. 

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, chon derry said:

the bigger problem  with americans plying the coast would be the hundreds of small yachts ,sail boats,  cabin cruisers , kayaks, from  California  ,oregon , washington ,traveling to Alaska  and Albertans inundating the coast over the last 2 months. going pretty much unchecked . just another summer it  seems.  as well Alaska ferry terminal here in rupert is going full tilt ,  americans traveling thru bc to get to the ferry term here,

to be honest, im surprised that Alaska is allowing any non residents to vacation up there right now.  Being as isolated as they are, their infection rates are quite low.  I know they value tourism but man, too much of a risk allowing Washingtonians or Oregonians much less Texans to enter.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

to be honest, im surprised that Alaska is allowing any non residents to vacation up there right now.  Being as isolated as they are, their infection rates are quite low.  I know they value tourism but man, too much of a risk allowing Washingtonians or Oregonians much less Texans to enter.

Alaska is a part of the States though and I'm assuming more Republican so probably follow the beliefs of economy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> public health

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I don't want to live in that society. Will it one day be like Logan's Run? we will only keep the optimal people at the optimal age?

If one's significant other runner is like Jenny Agutter (circa 1970s)....I can only hope!

• Haha 1