The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Canadians Say ‘Keep It’ To U.S. Congress Calls For Reopened Border

The border crossing at the Peace Arch Canada-U.S. border, pictured on March 20, 2020. (Photo: ASSOCIATED PRESS)

A bipartisan group of United States politicians is pushing for the U.S.-Canada border to reopen.

But Canadians are having none of it, and they aren’t sorry they feel this way.

In a letter this week shared by New York congressman Brian Higgins, 27 members of Congress called on the U.S. and Canadian governments to begin a phased full reopening of the border when the current agreement expires on July 21. Restrictions on the border were first introduced in March, and have been renewed them three times over the course of the coronavirus pandemic.

“We are asking that the United States and Canada immediately craft a comprehensive framework for phased reopening of the border based on objective metrics and accounting for the varied circumstances across border regions,” the letter’s authors wrote.

Canadians, on the other hand, have a different perspective on the prospect of the border reopening. And they didn’t mince words online.

No thank you... clean up your backyard before you attempt to enter ours.. sincerely Canada

please keep your spreading pandemic and market-based healthcare system firmly within your own borders, thank you

keep it closed I don't want my family and friends to die, thanks

No. Just no. And I’m not sorry.

Why would Canada even THINK of reopening the border with the US when the US is completely incapable of keeping the virus in check? This is like inviting zombies into your house.

I'm sorry that so many of the responses from my fellow Canadians are uncharacteristically rude. But it's fair to say there's a lot of anxiety on this side of the border about opening the border right now given the escalation of cases in the US. Maybe we give it some time, eh?

Former B.C. Green Party leader Andrew Weaver even weighed in, saying the border must remain closed until the Americans get the outbreak there under control.

This has to be some kind of bad joke. The border needs to remain closed. Sadly, @realDonaldTrump who campaigned under the MAGA slogan has instead "Made America a total COVID19 trainwreck". Until they get this pandemic under control, the border must remain closed. #cdnpoli #bcpoli

While Canadian COVID-19 numbers have begun to stabilize in recent weeks, the U.S is in the midst of a terrifying spike in case rates. On July 8 alone, the U.S. confirmed over 62,000 cases — its highest single-day total yet and nearly half of Canada’s total case count. As of July 9, south of the border, there have been over 3.1 million total cases and 135,000 deaths, compared to just over 107,000 cases and 8,700 deaths in Canada.

What is wrong with these American politicians. Especially disappointed to see this was a bi-partisan effort.

As to opening the border. Give us a shout when you gain some common sense and respect for each other.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I guess it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out masks are good, no masks are bad.

And if a rich reality TV star can be President and not wear a mask why can't a geeky TV science "promoter" tell us TO wear a mask?  Seems fair.

It was an attempt at being facetious. The majority of the demographic he is trying to reach has been convinced that he is a fraud by the people (corporations) who don't like his message regarding climate change. You might as well have marched Hillary out there in a lab coat to lecture people about email safety, for all the good it would do. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The border crossing at the Peace Arch Canada-U.S. border, pictured on March 20, 2020. (Photo: ASSOCIATED PRESS)

A bipartisan group of United States politicians is pushing for the U.S.-Canada border to reopen.

In a letter this week shared by New York congressman Brian Higgins, 27 members of Congress called on the U.S. and Canadian governments to begin a phased full reopening of the border when the current agreement expires on July 21. Restrictions on the border were first introduced in March, and have been renewed them three times over the course of the coronavirus pandemic.

“We are asking that the United States and Canada immediately craft a comprehensive framework for phased reopening of the border based on objective metrics and accounting for the varied circumstances across border regions,” the letter’s authors wrote.

Canadians, on the other hand, have a different perspective on the prospect of the border reopening. And they didn’t mince words online.

No thank you... clean up your backyard before you attempt to enter ours.. sincerely Canada

please keep your spreading pandemic and market-based healthcare system firmly within your own borders, thank you

Why would Canada even THINK of reopening the border with the US when the US is completely incapable of keeping the virus in check? This is like inviting zombies into your house.

I'm sorry that so many of the responses from my fellow Canadians are uncharacteristically rude. But it's fair to say there's a lot of anxiety on this side of the border about opening the border right now given the escalation of cases in the US. Maybe we give it some time, eh?

Former B.C. Green Party leader Andrew Weaver even weighed in, saying the border must remain closed until the Americans get the outbreak there under control.

This has to be some kind of bad joke. The border needs to remain closed. Sadly, @realDonaldTrump who campaigned under the MAGA slogan has instead "Made America a total COVID19 trainwreck". Until they get this pandemic under control, the border must remain closed. #cdnpoli #bcpoli

While Canadian COVID-19 numbers have begun to stabilize in recent weeks, the U.S is in the midst of a terrifying spike in case rates. On July 8 alone, the U.S. confirmed over 62,000 cases — its highest single-day total yet and nearly half of Canada’s total case count. As of July 9, south of the border, there have been over 3.1 million total cases and 135,000 deaths, compared to just over 107,000 cases and 8,700 deaths in Canada.

What is wrong with these American politicians. Especially disappointed to see this was a bi-partisan effort.

As to opening the border. Give us a shout when you gain some common sense and respect for each other.

Love all the GIF's in response.

59 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh my ..... I didn't word this well.  Thank you so much...Dad is thankfully a survivor but had to give up his vegetable garden as it was too much upkeep.  Mom and Dad both had cancer at the same time...we lost Mom.  The garden was just too much for me during it all, so it just started going to weed.  He did it all...even composting and making really fertile soil.  I took it all for granted back then but now realize how amazing it was/he is.

My Dad and brother have never ever sport hunted...it's all for "food".  No pictures, no stories...just go out there in order to fill the freezer.  They also had a smoker.

My brother still fishes and usually catches his limit too.  He knows some of those secret spots.  :)

I love that you started gardening so early on....my Dad is teaching my kids how (too).  Such a valuable thing to know...glad the schools are starting to reflect that with "community gardens".  I love how you make use of what you grow...it takes time to get used to the rhythm of it all (harvest then do something to preserve the food). 

Is garlic easy/hard?  I live in a townhouse but would love to learn how to grow my own...use it in pretty much everything.  I am currently growing kale, basil, raspberries, chives, cilantro, lettuce.  

And this is on topic to me....as this pandemic is highlighting....we all should be better prepared in this world.  Think about choices we make and how to do things better.  As mass consumers, we could be in trouble if the food chain is interrupted.  It's a great conversation to have....thanks for a really great comment.  

Thanks for sharing Deb... I also took it for granted spending my summers in the Kootenays and Okanagon eating can fruit and fresh veggies and bringing home 50 quarts of peaches, pears and cherries ... so much better then Del Monte... garlic is easy - even their sprouts are good as a substitute for chives ... each plant should grow a bulb ... onion like (also easy to hang and use later especially on the island and lower mainland)... it’s not for everyone but I think and wish it was for everyone ... so healthy - a nice hobby .. and if it saves money ... you can let  one or two plants go to seed and use them the following year .. once the garden is made it just gets better with composting too... 

Edit:  If space is an issue try growing pole beans and cukes up a trellace...one pole bean can produce 4-6 pounds of beans ... corn needs space but you can use them as a trellace too (or sunflowers) and grow the beans up them and get 2-3 cobs a plant too...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I live in the US, and the borders need to stay closed, including coming and going from Alaska and Point Roberts.  We are in trouble in the US, and we need to stay home, and wear a mask when leaving the home for essential purposes, including getting the mail and taking out the trash.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7163485/goodlife-fitness-burnaby-coronavirus-exposure/?utm_source=%40globalbc&utm_medium=Twitter

I've been paying for my gym membership all along and, despite it now being open (you have to book a session), I'm opting out for the foreseeable future.  This just confirms that's the right decision to me.

I had a hot yoga membership, and it was a difficult decision to cancel my membership.  Even though I did not anticipate going to hot yoga in a long time, but the reason I kept it for months was to support the owners, but that was a difficult factor in cancelling it.  

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7163485/goodlife-fitness-burnaby-coronavirus-exposure/?utm_source=%40globalbc&utm_medium=Twitter

I've been paying for my gym membership all along and, despite it now being open (you have to book a session), I'm opting out for the foreseeable future.  This just confirms that's the right decision to me.

I'll walk Garry Point with you Deb.... 2 meters apart of course. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brilac said:

I live in the US, and the borders need to stay closed, including coming and going from Alaska and Point Roberts.  We are in trouble in the US, and we need to stay home, and wear a mask when leaving the home for essential purposes, including getting the mail and taking out the trash.  

Opening the border would be political suicide for our government.  Stay safe down there.

'All the hospitals are full': In Houston, overwhelmed ICUs leave patients waiting in ER

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/all-the-hospitals-are-full-in-houston-overwhelmed-icus-leave-patients-waiting-in-er/ar-BB16AFOW?li=AAggFp4&ocid=hplocalnews

HOUSTON — Houston hospitals have been forced to treat hundreds of COVID-19 patients in their emergency rooms — sometimes for several hours or multiple days — as they scramble to open additional intensive care beds for the wave of seriously ill people streaming through their doors, according to internal numbers shared with NBC News and ProPublica.

At the same time, the region’s 12 busiest hospitals are increasingly telling emergency responders that they cannot safely accept new patients, at a rate nearly three times that of a year ago, according to data reviewed by reporters.

It's not going to get better any time soon in Houston.

42 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Thanks for sharing Deb... I also took it for granted spending my summers in the Kootenays and Okanagon eating can fruit and fresh veggies and bringing home 50 quarts of peaches, pears and cherries ... so much better then Del Monte... garlic is easy - even their sprouts are good as a substitute for chives ... each plant should grow a bulb ... onion like (also easy to hang and use later especially on the island and lower mainland)... it’s not for everyone but I think and wish it was for everyone ... so healthy - a nice hobby .. and if it saves money ... you can let  one or two plants go to seed and use them the following year .. once the garden is made it just gets better with composting too... 

Edit:  If space is an issue try growing pole beans and cukes up a trellace...one pole bean can produce 4-6 pounds of beans ... corn needs space but you can use them as a trellace too (or sunflowers) and grow the beans up them and get 2-3 cobs a plant too...

I can remember when 'store bought' seeds were excess citified waste of money. Many people dried their seeds for planting in the spring. That said I think my Dad always bought seed potato. 

• Cheers 1

Over 40 Florida hospitals max out ICU capacity as Covid-19 cases surge across US

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/over-40-florida-hospitals-max-out-icu-capacity-as-covid-19-cases-surge-across-us/ar-BB16AuJQ?ocid=eventhub

Coronavirus cases are rising across the US, some regional hospitals are filling up and some of America’s most populous places are seeing record deaths as the pandemic surges.

This Is Fine GIF

42 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I can remember when 'store bought' seeds were excess citified waste of money. Many people dried their seeds for planting in the spring. That said I think my Dad always bought seed potato. 

Seed potatoes are the easiest to acquire... just buy Wal-mart quality potatoes a month before planting time and stick them in your basement ... you get four times the “seed potatoes” for a fraction of the  cost plus don’t have to eat the grossest “spring “ ones 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And here we go.... 2nd wave begins because of people thinking this thing was over and done with.

BC gov opened things up too EARLY......    Many people here saw this coming......

No need for me to once again express my views on some of BC govs questionable  decisions

Hopefully people wear MASKS and take precautions this weekend..   NO MATTER Where in the province we live........

Hopefully next week we can reverse this weeks negative trend....

#BrokenRecord

Edited by kingofsurrey

42 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC gov opened things up too EARLY......    Many people here saw this coming......

No need for me to once again express my views on some of BC govs questionable  decisions

Hopefully people wear MASKS and take precautions this weekend..   NO MATTER Where in the province we live........

Hopefully next week we can reverse this weeks negative trend....

#BrokenRecord

..."but I will anyway".....:P

(sorry Kos, couldn't resist. Digging the hashtag, btw...)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1