The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

The 25 cases does raise my eyebrows a bit but lets wait and see what the week holds.  I went to the Still Creek Costco today and noticed that they are starting to reduce the numbers in the store again.  Maybe not as low as when we first started but noticeably more room in there compared to last week and I had to line up for 10 minutes which wasn't the case for the last month or so.

The increase in cases was not unexpected given all the businesses that have opened up.  I would like to know where the cases came from.  Whether the majority was from known outbreaks or from the general community spread.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC gov opened things up too EARLY......    Many people here saw this coming......

No need for me to once again express my views on some of BC govs questionable  decisions

Hopefully people wear MASKS and take precautions this weekend..   NO MATTER Where in the province we live........

Hopefully next week we can reverse this weeks negative trend....

#BrokenRecord

#IloveyouKOSbutIloveBonnymore

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Hasn't seen TRUMP in over a month, and not briefed in 2.  Kinda telling.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/10/trump-fauci-covid-19-coronavirus-cases

Fauci says he hasn’t briefed Trump in two months as Covid-19 cases rise

President said public health expert ‘made a lot of mistakes’ while nearly 3.2 million have contracted the coronavirus

Yes he disagreed with the stable genius that is Duhnald Trump many times. That amounts to making a lot of mistakes in Trump’s view.

Things are going so much better now. Amirite Donny boy?

4 hours ago, coho8888 said:

The 25 cases does raise my eyebrows a bit but lets wait and see what the week holds.  I went to the Still Creek Costco today and noticed that they are starting to reduce the numbers in the store again.  Maybe not as low as when we first started but noticeably more room in there compared to last week and I had to line up for 10 minutes which wasn't the case for the last month or so.

The increase in cases was not unexpected given all the businesses that have opened up.  I would like to know where the cases came from.  Whether the majority was from known outbreaks or from the general community spread.

BC has the lowest rates of covid testing in Canada..

Stay tuned...  we are not out of the woods yet.....

PS - Dr. B has some pretty sweet Fluevog shoes... any of you remember when it was Fox and Fluevog on Granville st.   Great guys...

Alberta has been a testing front-runner with 3,950 tests completed per 100,000 people between Jan. 23, when testing began, and last Thursday. 

That province's cumulative per capita testing is bested only by the Northwest Territories. The territory of just under 45,000 had completed the equivalent of 4,184 per 100,000 residents as of Thursday.

Ontario had completed more than 397,000 tests at the same point, which amounts to just under 2,700 tests per 100,000 people. However, in the last week Ontario surpassed Alberta's number of daily tests per capita.

Nova Scotia had completed 3,462 tests per 100,000 residents as of Thursday, Quebec had done 3,173, and B.C. had conducted 2,054 tests per 100,000 people.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/testing-needs-to-be-done-very-liberally-to-stop-second-wave-of-virus-b-c-researcher-says-1.4933811

Edited by kingofsurrey

4 hours ago, coho8888 said:

#IloveyouKOSbutIloveBonnymore

Dr B had a fantastic first period....... but with covid...  the team needs to show up and play for all 3 periods...  If we relax and don't show up for the turd period... we will be in a world of hurt....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, skategal said:

The thing to remember is that Dr. Henry is only able to put in recommendations and orders, so she's the coach.  Government is the management, and we the population are the team.  It's up to us to implement what Dr. Henry and the government establish in order to win the game.  

We have been blessed to have our coach and GM (Henry and Horgan/Dix) on the same page.  When I peek over the border and look at the dumpster fire that is happening in  the US I shudder.  The chaos and divisiveness is going to take years to heal regardless of the outcome in November.  

I can't imagine the thought, discussion and analysis that has gone into every step of the reopening plan as I'm sure no one wants to have to step back and reverse the process.  BC has learned from other jurisdictions about what works, what doesn't, how to do things safely and hopefully we all benefit.   

It's our job to ensure that we wash our hands, stay physically distant, wear PPE if appropriate (KOS please don't let that comment trigger another rant) and all do our part to support the team.   None of this is a one person show.   So far we've collectively done a great job but as KOS said, we're only in the first period.  

That's a great analogy.....

.....and sometimes the coach has to put Andrew Ebbet on the powerplay....

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC has the lowest rates of covid testing in Canada..

Stay tuned...  we are not out of the woods yet.....

PS - Dr. B has some pretty sweet Fluevog shoes... any of you remember when it was Fox and Fluevog on Granville st.   Great guys...

Alberta has been a testing front-runner with 3,950 tests completed per 100,000 people between Jan. 23, when testing began, and last Thursday. 

That province's cumulative per capita testing is bested only by the Northwest Territories. The territory of just under 45,000 had completed the equivalent of 4,184 per 100,000 residents as of Thursday.

Ontario had completed more than 397,000 tests at the same point, which amounts to just under 2,700 tests per 100,000 people. However, in the last week Ontario surpassed Alberta's number of daily tests per capita.

Nova Scotia had completed 3,462 tests per 100,000 residents as of Thursday, Quebec had done 3,173, and B.C. had conducted 2,054 tests per 100,000 people.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/testing-needs-to-be-done-very-liberally-to-stop-second-wave-of-virus-b-c-researcher-says-1.4933811

You have to keep it in perspective though (and the article goes on to do that).

First of all, it's about access to tests and how many a province is capable of conducting.  Our number is 6,500, while Ontario's is 13,000+ (that was their available capacity at the onset, when they were testing late and only about 4,000 at the time).

Alberta up'd their capacity to 16,000 in June but was higher at 7,000 from the onset.

Etc.

She may have abandoned more random testing to concentrate on a more focused approach.  

You have to also look at the numbers of hospitalized/ICU and deaths.  

I think the focus also being on contact tracing here has been a good idea.  To reach out in a proactive way that gives a heads up and perhaps has people "act" as if they potentially could have it, rather than just obliviously being out and about.  So efforts put there seem to have been a good idea.

The shoes part is a bit much.  It wasn't her that glommed on to it, it was the public.  Don't fault a person for...wearing shoes.   It honestly takes away from the fantastic job she is doing here.   The numbers support that.  Before you criticize her, maybe walk a mile in her (Fluevog) shoes.  It hasn't been an easy task but she's done a brilliant job in my view.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, skategal said:

(KOS please don't let that comment trigger another rant) and all do our part to support the team.   None of this is a one person show.   So far we've collectively done a great job but as KOS said, we're only in the first period.  

Masks are available everywhere  and are fairly cheap...I got a box of 50 for $30.

As well, it's very easy to find something to use as a homemade mask if nothing else is available.

We are all responsible for our personal health and safety.  Sure, on the job, the employer has to abide by standards to follow that....but if those standards aren't what we expect, we can then take matters into our own hands.  

I'd take a mask for those close contact moments and if someone asked me to remove it, that would be a different story.  But someone not providing us with a mask is, in my view, no excuse not to have/wear one if we feel the need is there in order TO protect ourselves/our family.  I'd be wearing one....when in head to head/close contact with the kids.

Remember...teachers are "in charge" of their classrooms and, while teaching, are generally at the head of the class with distance between them and the students.  Open the windows and keep your distance.  It's only when we're unable to social distance that we're told to wear a mask so that's something to keep in mind.

This is posted on the Provincial Gov't website:

4. Personal Protective Equipment Personal protective equipment (PPE), such as masks and gloves are not needed, beyond those used by staff as part of regular precautions for the hazards normally encountered in their regular course of work. They should only be used when all other controls fail (e.g. only used when other control methods cannot reduce the risk to a low enough level)....There is no evidence to support the use of medical grade, cloth or homemade masks in school settings at this time. Wearing one is a personal choice. It is important to treat people wearing masks with respect.

I don't see that you (KOS) can't wear a mask, so don't know why it's a huge issue?

If you meet with resistance, I think you'd have a good argument as to why you are taking precautions for the hazards you're encountering.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You have to keep it in perspective though (and the article goes on to do that).

First of all, it's about access to tests and how many a province is capable of conducting.  Our number is 6,500, while Ontario's is 13,000+ (that was their available capacity at the onset, when they were testing late and only about 4,000 at the time).

Alberta up'd their capacity to 16,000 in June but was higher at 7,000 from the onset.

Etc.

She may have abandoned more random testing to concentrate on a more focused approach.  

She has abandoned random testing, as she doesn't like the 20-30% failure ratio.  With such a small # of cases in the province, they were able to have an excellent view of the most problematic areas.  The community tracing teams have had a 98% rate of success.  

54 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You have to also look at the numbers of hospitalized/ICU and deaths.  

I think the focus also being on contact tracing here has been a good idea.  To reach out in a proactive way that gives a heads up and perhaps has people "act" as if they potentially could have it, rather than just obliviously being out and about.  So efforts put there seem to have been a good idea.

The shoes part is a bit much.  It wasn't her that glommed on to it, it was the public.  Don't fault a person for...wearing shoes.   It honestly takes away from the fantastic job she is doing here.   The numbers support that.  Before you criticize her, maybe walk a mile in her (Fluevog) shoes.  It hasn't been an easy task but she's done a brilliant job in my view.

This last paragraph is great, Deb.  Love the correlation between the shoes and Dr. Bonnie.  She's certainly filled a large set of shoes!

• Vintage 2

41 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Masks are available everywhere  and are fairly cheap...I got a box of 50 for $30.

As well, it's very easy to find something to use as a homemade mask if nothing else is available.

We are all responsible for our personal health and safety.  Sure, on the job, the employer has to abide by standards to follow that....but if those standards aren't what we expect, we can then take matters into our own hands.  

I'd take a mask for those close contact moments and if someone asked me to remove it, that would be a different story.  But someone not providing us with a mask is, in my view, no excuse not to have/wear one if we feel the need is there in order TO protect ourselves/our family.  I'd be wearing one....when in head to head/close contact with the kids.

Remember...teachers are "in charge" of their classrooms and, while teaching, are generally at the head of the class with distance between them and the students.  Open the windows and keep your distance.  It's only when we're unable to social distance that we're told to wear a mask so that's something to keep in mind.

I don't see that you (KOS) can't wear a mask, so don't know why it's a huge issue?

If you meet with resistance, I think you'd have a good argument as to why you are taking precautions for the hazards you're encountering.

The problem with masks is they only work if everyone uses them. If you go to a store, and you are one of the only people wearing a mask, it's essentially useless. As much as I don't like the way KOS posts, I think he is right. Teachers are at the mercy of their employers right now. They are not allowed to require students to wear masks so wearing a mask themselves will only protect the students.

There are no windows in many classrooms, and terrible ventilation, so it's often a stagnant environment and a perfect breeding ground to spread the virus. Combine that with the fact high school students are one of the most irresponsible demographics when it comes to social distancing and you have a highly stressful and risky situation for teachers, students, and their families. 

In my opinion, based on the recommendations of health and disease experts from around the world, the answer is simple. Everyone wears a mask when indoors. It's the only way to get kids back to school in a safer and meaningful way. Online learning doesn't work for many students, and having 20 percent of the students come in 2 days a week is babysitting at best. 

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, stawns said:

8 clustered cases confirmed from downtown kelowna today, nightclub and restaurant related they think.  Sox them came from out of town and they think at least one brought it with them

Very disheartening to see this.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

to be fair, that's not really how teachers teach these days, but that's certainly how it is under these conditions.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

to be fair, that's not really how teachers teach these days, but that's certainly how it is under these conditions.

The credit for BC low rates of Covid should primarily go right to the citizens of BC.

People here so far have done an amazing job .

85% of BC highschool parents knew better than the BC gov and did NOT follow the governments advice about sending their kids to school.

People should be encouraged to use PPE when working around others  indoors.......     this is just COMMEN SENSE........

Dr. B has a sweet pair of Fluevog shoes... when i was younger i preferred Dr. Martens though....   but her earlier  lack of support for Mask wearing is pretty surprising.....

Edited by kingofsurrey