The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, stawns said:

but aren't they claiming the death rate is dropping?

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Of course they're dropping.  Just ignore deaths from out of state US citizens from "their state count".  Get many COVID deaths re-classified as "death as a result of pneumonia"  (which is sort of saying a gunshot victim died as a result of excessive blood loss & not as a result of being shot).  GOP version of "alternative facts".  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

On 7/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, stawns said:

Actually, I'd argue it doesn't work for many parents........ones who don't want to put the time in.

I think you are selling yourself short and all the other teachers as well, Stawns.  Teaching is a calling for many and it takes special skills and intuition to be a good one.  So many deride teachers as if 'anyone can do that job' but we all know that just ain't true.  I would think that it is very intimidating for many parents who attempt to help their kids with their lessons. 

Right now, we have no idea what it will look like in Sept, but my guess it will look a lot like it did in June, just with more kids.  

From what I've heard, they are focusing on K-7, with the idea that the young ones need the school experience more than the teens.  As you well know, the young ones are on a huge developmental curve during these years and benefit from the various learning situations in the school environment.  I've read that the plan is for no more than 15 children per class and that the focus is on social distancing and providing routine washing hands before class, before lunch, after lunch and at the end of the day.  The staff rooms will be closed as well.  I would think that there has been a lot of refitting in the schools this summer.

The Scandinavian countries have had great success with the return to school over the past 2-3 months.  Even Sweden has done well, despite the criticism they have received with managing the virus.

Here's Denmark:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/17/world/europe/denmark-schools-coronavirus.html 

On 7/11/2020 at 7:31 PM, stawns said:

I'm not either.  I was.........ok with how it was setup in June, but we had less than 20% back in my school, so it's impossible to say how I'll feel in Sept.  I love my job, but I am not looking forward to going back...........my lungs are so shot I think I'd be in big trouble if I caught it again (if I indeed had it before)

I hope that our leaders can get their plan out early and support the teachers by making sure they are fully aware of what is happening.  Not knowing makes the situation even more stressful.

It seems to me, that any teacher that has health issues that leave them vulnerable to the virus should be able to take paid time off.  It would be foolish to push to go forward any other way.  Hopefully you can get your doctor on board and he can provide the documentation.

I will be paying attention to what the government will do in this situation, as I am sure there are likely many teachers that are feeling the same way.  You and your colleagues safety is very important and needs to be addressed.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, wloutet said:

I see that one school district in BC, Abbotsford? I think, but could be wrong, is going to the quarter system of two classes at a time , one in the morning, other in the afternoon, for 10 weeks. Then you have 2 more for the next 10 weeks, etc. I have taught math under this system, with 30 to a class, and it has some good things and some bad things. Primarily, if you get behind, or are sick for a few days, it is very hard to catch up. The lessons go by like you're on an assembly line, and the time to really grasp a topic is hard. It will be interesting to see how it will work.

Sounds like summer school

27 minutes ago, skategal said:

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/12/21321653/getting-covid-19-twice-reinfection-antibody-herd-immunity

Doctors reporting reinfection and debunking the idea of herd immunity.  Sigh....not getting out of this mess anytime soon.  So much still unknown.  

For all we know it stays with us forever.......many virus' do.

2 hours ago, skategal said:

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/12/21321653/getting-covid-19-twice-reinfection-antibody-herd-immunity

Doctors reporting reinfection and debunking the idea of herd immunity.  Sigh....not getting out of this mess anytime soon.  So much still unknown.  

Sounds like if you have mild symptoms, then you don't make the anti-bodies.  And if you get it a 2nd time, its much worse (breathing difficulties) and a trip to ICU.  

Yikes!!

When the NHL resumes for sports entertainment ... it tells general population to not fear  Covid 19

When Horgan / Dr. B sent the kids back to school with zero PPE  used by staff/students.  - it told the general population to not fear Covid 19

When Strip clubs were allowed to re-open it sent the message to not fear Covid...

I wonder if these kinds of messages are really encouraging people to not wear masks and not social distance.... ?

WE need to all remain vigilent in wearing masks, washing hands and socially distancing if we want to limit the spread of this virus...

Edited by kingofsurrey

37 minutes ago, BPA said:

Sounds like if you have mild symptoms, then you don't make the anti-bodies.  And if you get it a 2nd time, its much worse (breathing difficulties) and a trip to ICU.  

Yikes!!

That's going to be the true second wave

• Thanks 1