The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Trump's the leader of the country....if he's "hurt the situation" then don't defend him.  He should be helping the situation...that's his job.  To ensure he has the right people in place to do so and to follow their advice.  To have a cohesive team in place that makes it easy for people to weed through information and get a consistent message.

It is majorly on him...you're wanting to deflect from that and his attitude has been flippant, ever changing (you speak of Fauci but Trump's all over the board) and has made this political rather than addressing it as a crisis and putting the full attention there.  He's used the opportunity..exploiting this to point out other's flaws rather than fully concentrating on getting this under control. 

He deflects, blames, fires people and will do everything to keep his narrative going....which is "I'm the very best, vote for me".

You are missing what people are saying...early on, this virus was (and still is) completely unknown.  

Masks were discouraged because health care officials needed them (most) and, as with tp, the public gobbles things up in order to hoard them.  Sell them. Whatever.   Masks also give people a fake sense of security and they take more risks.  So the message was never "wrong"...but it's been ever changing to address an ever changing situation.

If you deny that things are bad in the US with Trump at the helm, start there...then branch outward.  Because that's denial.

The US has done a terrible job of managing this thing with him at the helm.  And he is at the helm.  Not one to take orders, he owns this.

Pumpkinhead said himself he assumes no responsibility. As long as he gets to play golf and try and get richer with his government contacts. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

He's a non practicing doctor that has access to reams of information provided by accredited Scientists that are working with him.  What Dr. Fauci said early on was not that much different than what our health officers said here.  Social distancing and Frequent hand washing were promoted as the preferred methods of dealing with this Virus back then and in many ways they still are.  Health officials did not want people to get a false sense of security when using masks as people tend to ignore the other two methods which were more important.  Also lack of understanding of how these masks work (they are designed to protect others from you and not the other way around) was also an issue.  At the start of the pandemic, the policy was to immediately limit the contacts that people had with each other to flatten the curve.  Once that was achieved and we started opening the economy again, the importance of masks increased as the level of contacts increased.  Masks were then said to be effective in situations where Social Distancing measures were difficult. 

And again, publicly stating it's nothing to worry when it's still unknown is exactly the same thing people criticize DT over.  Same things happened with hydroxychloroquine and how recent results show that it does actually help with covid.   Funny that quickly gets swept under the rug.

The problem with what you are seeing now in places like Florida and Arizona is that people were not following Social Distancing measures. 

Like they followed with all the protest across the country?

Hence mandating masks was like a last ditch attempt to slow down the infection rates.  Also they started opening things up again without even flattening the curve much.  The openings were also full bore and not done in phases like we have had here.  

Florida also had a 3 phased approach.

I lay the blame solely on Trump.  Not sure why you feel the Dr. Fauci should take that much blame.  Trump is spinning things out of control. In some ways, he is even worse than the CCP government.   Anyone with even a shred of intelligence can see through what Trump is trying to do.  Problem is, there are many down south that don't have much intelligence at all and follow him like a lap dog.

It's funny because i was thinking the same thing about people putting the blame solely on Trump.  Again the left from the start was deeming this to not be a serious matter. I can post dozens of articles from the lest claiming just that.  And any action trump did was immediately written off as not needed and or a racist fear mongering attempt.  Had the left not been so focussed on making this a political standpoint to attempt at stirring up anger against Trump and actually focussed on the threat of covid. Thousands of lives could have been saved.  It wasn't until the cases skyrocketed and where the mantra changed.  The same people who cried trump was taking measure to extreme are the same people crying that he didn't do enough.  If that doesn't scream hypocrisy I don't know what else does.  

USA is the one place in the world that can take a serious pandemic and turn it into a political talking point.

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Trump's the leader of the country....if he's "hurt the situation" then don't defend him.  He should be helping the situation...that's his job.  To ensure he has the right people in place to do so and to follow their advice.  To have a cohesive team in place that makes it easy for people to weed through information and get a consistent message.

The US if 330 million people. Not sure what you are expecting.  If Obama was still president do you think that people wouldn't be protesting? BLM and the restrictions of covid?

Each state has there own governors and people in charge to decide what best for there population.  Yes just like Canada, maybe you don't noticing but things were handeling much different in BC, than in Alberta or Ontario or Quebec. 

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It is majorly on him...you're wanting to deflect from that and his attitude has been flippant, ever changing (you speak of Fauci but Trump's all over the board) and has made this political rather than addressing it as a crisis and putting the full attention there.  He's used the opportunity..exploiting this to point out other's flaws rather than fully concentrating on getting this under control.  His energies need to be 100% focused and he's out there parading himself around.  Inviting crowds.

Don't use the BLM as an example...that's people fighting not to die.  It's different than a political rally where someone wants votes.

I didn't know the covid virus cared about the cause...As long as the cause is "just" I guess you are free from catching it..haha.....  and that's where my discussing with you ends....talk about a major facepalm.....

• Wat 2

Tom Hanks: ‘When I had coronavirus, my bones felt like they were made of soda crackers’

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/wellness/tom-hanks-when-i-had-coronavirus-my-bones-felt-like-they-were-made-of-soda-crackers/ar-BB16M2sP?li=AAggNb9&ocid=iehp

Though the Forrest Gump actor said that both he and Wilson, 63, had experienced "crushing fatigue" for "eight (or) nine days," he noted that a lot of their COVID-19 symptoms were wildly different.

Though Wilson did not experience the same body aches as her husband, Hanks said that she had "horrible nausea."

Hanks also looked back at a "delicious" takeout meal he and Wilson had while self-isolating together in Queensland, Australia, saying that though he could taste the food, his wife could not.

He said: "It was savoury goodness. It had butter sauces, it had come from a highly recommended joint and she was saying, 'This tastes like oatmeal to me,' and I thought she was insane.

Back in April, Hanks and Wilson donated their blood to help medical researchers develop a vaccine to fight COVID-19.

The Cast Away actor spoke on the NPR Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me! podcast about their participation in donations, saying: “We just found out that we do carry the antibodies.

Let's hope we find a vaccine. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And again, publicly stating it's nothing to worry when it's still unknown is exactly the same thing people criticize DT over.  Same things happened with hydroxychloroquine and how recent results show that it does actually help with covid.   Funny that quickly gets swept under the rug.

Like they followed with all the protest across the country?

Florida also had a 3 phased approach.

It's funny because i was thinking the same thing about people putting the blame solely on Trump.  Again the left from the start was deeming this to not be a serious matter. I can post dozens of articles from the lest claiming just that.  And any action trump did was immediately written off as not needed and or a racist fear mongering attempt.  Had the left not been so focussed on making this a political standpoint to attempt at stirring up anger against Trump and actually focussed on the threat of covid. Thousands of lives could have been saved.  It wasn't until the cases skyrocketed and where the mantra changed.  The same people who cried trump was taking measure to extreme are the same people crying that he didn't do enough.  If that doesn't scream hypocrisy I don't know what else does.  

USA is the one place in the world that can take a serious pandemic and turn it into a political talking point.

To state that hydroxychloroquine was this miracle drug as Trump touted even before it was properly tested and proven effective was reckless.  Early results showed negative side effects including death.  Ingesting bleach was also one of Trump's solutions so take it for what its worth.

Florida had a 3 phased approach?  was it followed?  was it slow enough?  Obviously not.

Look, I'm not saying the WHO or Fauci was perfect.  Little was known about this Virus and there is still lots to learn.  They are the best we have right now.  The countries that have taken this thing seriously and have followed the guidelines all the way through are the ones that have flattened the curve.

Edited by coho8888
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, sonoman said:

My favourite part 

"Science is a method, not a body of facts"

Seems to me like it's often presented as facts.  Especially when it's often followed up with an action based on those findings.

11 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

To state that hydroxychloroquine was this miracle drug as Trump touted even before it was properly tested and proven effective was reckless.  Early results showed negative side effects including death. 

Current results are showing it helps.

https://www.henryford.com/news/2020/07/hydro-treatment-study

Do you not see the irony.  I claim fauci makes a bold claim about something too earlier and the replies are....there was so much unknown about it at that time.

Trump say something....and it's orange man bad.

Ingesting bleach was also one of Trump's solutions so take it for what its worth.

Might want to double check on that.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/apr/24/context-what-donald-trump-said-about-disinfectant-/

See this is exact what i'm talking about..it's almost as if some people are so naive to see it.  You think trump is the one making this political yet your opinion is based off a media outlet false reports, a media outlet with a clear agenda of this a political debate.  

Florida had a 3 phased approach?  was it followed?  was it slow enough?  Obviously not.

Yes they did and they put together a task force towards it.

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/covid19/Taskforce Report.pdf

Look, I'm not saying the WHO or Fauci was perfect.  Little was known about this Virus and there is still lots to learn.  They are the best we have right now.  The countries that have taken this thing seriously and have followed the guidelines all the way through are the ones that have flattened the curve.

I agree, this virus is something to take seriously, all i'm trying to point out is that the left and the right flip flops on their stance of this virus.  Not because it wasn't a potential threat but because both sides were trying to use it as political ammunition for the nov election.    From the left earlier on and the right currently. Lives are lost at the cost of votes.

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The US if 330 million people. Not sure what you are expecting.  If Obama was still president do you think that people wouldn't be protesting? BLM and the restrictions of covid?

Each state has there own governors and people in charge to decide what best for there population.  Yes just like Canada, maybe you don't noticing but things were handeling much different in BC, than in Alberta or Ontario or Quebec. 

I didn't know the covid virus cared about the cause...As long as the cause is "just" I guess you are free from catching it..haha.....  and that's where my discussing with you ends....talk about a major facepalm.....

Their.  There.  (Sorry, can't help it, as petty as it is)

The Prime Minister was in support of actions taken and that's key...again, cohesive.  The message was the same across Canada for the most part...some places closed/opened earlier/later that's all.

Trump points a finger and blames.  

My words:

Don't use the BLM as an example...that's people fighting not to die.  It's different than a political rally where someone wants votes.

weren't to suggest COVID cares about cause.

It's important to understand that people who watch their loved ones die at the hands of police and are out there demanding that to stop are a little different than a politician campaigning to be voted for.  

Trump has important work to do....and he's focused on self promotion?  No wonder he doesn't know what works/doesn't with covid...he's preoccupied.  

Those other people are trying not to die unnecessarily.  To be able to walk down the street without it possibly leading to an arrest, jail and even death.  Simply for being black.

If you don't see the difference, give yourself a big face palm. I hope you are done...I'm counting on it.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Really maks us think about why BC schools were opened up in June...

One reported case (which was a teacher/staff that brought it in) and it's about 3 weeks since end of school with a reduced class size.  So maybe, just maybe, perhaps, just a little....Dr. Bonnie Henry knows what she's doing?

• Upvote 2

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mobile/nova-scotia-lab-gets-green-light-to-test-covid-19-vaccine-on-humans-1.5023471

Nova Scotia lab gets green light to test COVID-19 vaccine on humans

HALIFAX -- A Nova Scotia laboratory working on a vaccine for COVID-19 has been given the green light from Health Canada to proceed with its plan for human trials.

"The clinical team is putting together the final documents for Health Canada final approval, to move that into the clinic," says Marianne Stanford, the vice-president of research and development of IMV Inc. "We're putting all the pieces together to get this done."

IMV is a biopharmaceutical company with labs in Dartmouth, N.S. The company started working on a vaccine for the novel coronavirus as soon as the World Health Organization declared the pandemic.

IMV researchers have spent the past several months working on an accelerated timeline, modifying the company's existing immunotherapy technology to deliver a COVID-19 vaccine into the human body.

On May 21, the company selected a candidate vaccine out of a series of formulations tested on animals.

Health Canada has now approved IMV's design for its Phase 1 clinical study, which will test the vaccine in 84 healthy adults.

Phase 1 will test the safety of the vaccine itself. The study is unique in that it will test the vaccine on two age groups -- adults between 18 and 55 years old and adults 56 years of age and older. Two doses of the vaccine will be tested on both groups.

"We're one of the first to focus in that [older] age group for initial clinical trial," says Stanford, "and I think that's really based on the fact that we have previous data with that age group."

Batches of IMV's vaccine have already been made at a manufacturing facility in the United States. The plan is to start testing it on people through the Canadian Center for Vaccinology (CCV) in Halifax this summer, with results expected this fall. The CCV will recruit subjects, administer the vaccine, and monitor the results.

IMV says, if the trials are successful, it hopes to move to Phase 2 trials later this year. That phase would look at the ability of the vaccine to trigger the desired immune response.

The IMV vaccine is one of about half a dozen being developed in Canada that are moving quickly on to human testing, but IMV's vaccine is unique in several ways.

While many are made in eggs -- or in a case in Quebec -- in plants, IMV's is entirely synthetic, which the company says makes the vaccine easier to make.

It also requires much smaller doses, meaning a little can go a long way.

For infectious disease expert Dr. Lisa Barrett of Dalhousie University and the Nova Scotia Health Authority, it is all encouraging news.

"We want to get there as fast as we can, with safety, and with a really fantastic vaccine, those are the two things we want to get, so if we go too fast sometimes, we miss on either one, and we don't want to do that," says Dr. Barrett.

Dr. Barrett says, while it is good news that several Canadian companies are heading into Phase 1 human trials, vaccines must pass three phases of testing in order to be administered to the general population.

"So to have multiple candidates for a vaccine, even in the early stage, Phase 1, at this point, within only months of having discovered this virus, is good," she says. "But basically that means small numbers of people are going to get the vaccine, to make sure it's safe to be in humans, and then it has to go through two other phases before it gets to go into the general population."

Stanford is optimistic.

"I think it's one of those things where I've never seen a field move so quickly and collaboratively," she says. "So I'm very hopeful by what I'm seeing."

• Vintage 2

50 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

My favourite part 

"Science is a method, not a body of facts"

Seems to me like it's often presented as facts.  Especially when it's often followed up with an action based on those findings.

Current results are showing it helps.

https://www.henryford.com/news/2020/07/hydro-treatment-study

Do you not see the irony.  I claim fauci makes a bold claim about something too earlier and the replies are....there was so much unknown about it at that time.

Trump say something....and it's orange man bad.

Might want to double check on that.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/apr/24/context-what-donald-trump-said-about-disinfectant-/

See this is exact what i'm talking about..it's almost as if some people are so naive to see it.  You think trump is the one making this political yet your opinion is based off a media outlet false reports, a media outlet with a clear agenda of this a political debate.  

Yes they did and they put together a task force towards it.

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/covid19/Taskforce Report.pdf

I agree, this virus is something to take seriously, all i'm trying to point out is that the left and the right flip flops on their stance of this virus.  Not because it wasn't a potential threat but because both sides were trying to use it as political ammunition for the nov election.    From the left earlier on and the right currently. Lives are lost at the cost of votes.

Thats the study that many scientists have criticized for its methods - plus they were using a steroid with the hydroxychloroquine - at least with some of the cases.

I absolutely agree with you about both sides using this as a political weapon but both have done this from the start. It is not only the problem with things south of the border its the same with left and right wing folks - we get so stuck on our beliefs we are not even willing to listen to the other side at all.

• Upvote 3