The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

55 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

:sadno:

Hate to say it but maybe the herd needs to be culled naturally.  Hopefully the ones that take this Virus seriously will be the ones to survive and the US will be better for it.

I'm not sure how they are going to change attitudes like that.  Just a simple thing like wearing a mask could become such a significant symbol of oppression for some of these idiots.  It all starts at the top.  

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Fauci

haha Fauci, the guy who a few months ago, made the claim and I quote.

"There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face."

2 minutes ago, skategal said:

And he's not wrong in that statement.  Scientists know so much more now about how COVID-19 spreads than they did "a few months ago" and yes, advice will change.  I'd still follow their advice over a politician who is pandering for votes, any jackass who is a nut job and afraid that wearing a mask makes them look weak, or a keyboard warrior living in their parents basement.  It's as much about caring for the people one comes in contact with as it is about self protection, maybe moreso.  

We all know that a mask isn't perfect protection, but it's better than not wearing one.  We know now that droplets are the primary way that the virus spreads.  

Well first of all he's a non practicing doctor not a scientist.  Second of all, if he didn't know for certain he shouldn't have made such a bold claim.   Telling people that masks have no purpose in a pandemic only strengthens those nut jobs validation. People flip flopping on the left is as bad as the right and it needs to be called out on both sides.  To blame Trump purely on covid when the left was calling him a racist for the travel ban in march, telling people to go out side, enjoy china town, early april and even recently to exercise your right to protest in large crowds.  Are we shocked that covid cases have sky rocketed again after all the riots? But no, lets put that blame on the churches and people going to beaches.

I mean that hypocrisy going on right now is absurd. It's no wonder the US is the worse at handling covid. And yes trump is only half to blame for that.

24 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

haha Fauci, the guy who a few months ago, made the claim and I quote.

"There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face."

You do realize that this is a one in a century pandemic and not much was known in the early months.  That even now they are finding that you can Covid-19 twice if your body hasn't produce enough antibodies.  A lot of this virus is unknown and unheard of.  Like longer incubation period (up to 14 days) and asymptomatic transmission.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2

Bank of Canada holds rate, sees GDP decline of 7.8% this year

Tiff Macklem

Tiff Macklem, incoming governor of the Bank of Canada, speaks during a news conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, on Friday, May 1, 2020. , David Kawai/Bloomberg

OTTAWA - The Bank of Canada is holding its key interest rate at 0.25 per cent in response to what it calls the “extremely uncertain” economic outlook from the COVID-19 pandemic, and plans to keep it there until the picture improves.

In its updated outlook, the bank expects the economy to contract by 7.8 per cent this year.

The central bank's report pegs the annual inflation rate at 0.6 per cent this year, rising to 1.2 per cent in 2021 and 1.7 per cent in 2022.

Its inflation target is 2 per cent, and the bank says it will maintain the current rate until that target is achieved.

The forecasts come with a caution that the numbers could be thrown off if there is a severe second wave of the novel coronavirus, for instance.

In a statement announcing the decision, the bank says the rate will have to stay low to provide “extraordinary monetary policy support” to help recuperate from the economic impact of COVID-19.

The central bank also says it will continue to snap up federal bonds at a rate of $5 billion per week to keep interest rates low across the yield curve.

Economy will take 2 years to fully recover from the pandemic

1 minute ago, BPA said:

I heard various rumors that the reason they didn't promote masks was that there was a shortage of them and they wanted to ensure they had enough for hospitals.  Another one (a bit more believable) was that Trump didn't want to promote it and appear weak (and ordering staff to follow suit).

There's plenty blame to go around but most of it falls on Trump as he is the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. 

A lot of things are directed by him and his actions. 

Bad trump bad....

image.png.4f19f08cfd6619a5eaef1c8990274ab0.png

17 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Bad trump bad....

That certainly didn't help.  Also what didn't help was Trump being Trump.

Unfortunately, the riots/protests were bound to happen.  No real changes ever happen in the USA.  And even if it does, the opposition will tear it down and bring it back to the way it was.  But that belongs on the other thread.

Texas protesters defy governor's order, host mostly maskless rally at bar

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/texas-protesters-defy-governors-order-host-mostly-maskless-rally-at-bar/ar-BB16LLzK?ocid=iehp

Demonstrators gathered at Chuters Dance Hall & Saloon in Pasadena, Texas, Sunday night for a "Texas Bars Fight Back Rally" after nightclubs were ordered to close amid the state's coronavirus outbreak, The Houston Chronicle reported.

The dance floor was reportedly full of customers, most without masks, dancing to a live band and drinking alcohol, in violation of several state coronavirus restrictions.

The dance hall's owners, Chris and Helen Bergeron, had organized a peaceful protest at the Texas Capitol, pushing for the reopening of bars in late June. Chris Bergeron said bar owners like him "need to be able to survive and get back to work," according to the Chronicle.

"It doesn't make no sense whatsoever and it's totally discrimination is all it is," Chris Bergeron told MySanAntonio.com. "I'm not sure why they are picking on us ... I don't know what [the governor's] reasons are, but it's wrong. It's completely wrong. It's totally against our constitutional right."

Covid-19 not going away anytime soon cuz of people like them.

Lol.  I wonder why the guy thinks "it's totally discrimination" to shut down bars?

• Vintage 1
19 minutes ago, BPA said:

That certainly didn't help.

No it didn't and again, not shocked seeing the covid cases spike shortly after.  Yet we saw countless politicians from the left encourage people to go out and exercise their right to protest.  Probably not the best advice to give when we were in the midst of a highly contagious pandemic.  

Also what didn't help was Trump being Trump.

No trump surely didn't help either, but If it was mostly trumps fault you'd likely see the largest affected cases in red states.

Unfortunately, the riots/protests were bound to happen.  No real changes ever happen in the USA.  And even if it does, the opposition will tear it down and bring it back to the way it was.  But that belongs on the other thread.

Sure but that's not trumps fault.  The issues have been around long before he was president.  Biden's been in politics for 40 years, yet he's the one going to solve the issue now. Where was he as vice president, BLM riots were still happening during that time as well. 

But yes back to the point. I'm not trying to defend trump and say he hasn't hurt the situation because he clearly has. I just think there is major fault across the board and it's not majorly on trump.  instead of the country coming together against the same common enemy (covid) it has become a political tactic from both sides.  Again is starts back in Feb when Trump put the travel ban in place from china and that was deemed racist and not needed.  Between Feb-April the left's narrative was Trump is making covid sound worse than it is and it's nothing to fear.  Then the flip happened, not businesses on the right are trying to claim the same thing.  it's a perfect example of the type of mess USA is.  

• Vintage 1
57 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Bad trump bad....

Yeah. Racist, civil unrest promoting Trump.

I better stay away from responding to you because I can feel it’s not gonna go down too well.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

But yes back to the point. I'm not trying to defend trump and say he hasn't hurt the situation because he clearly has. I just think there is major fault across the board and it's not majorly on trump.  instead of the country coming together against the same common enemy (covid) it has become a political tactic from both sides.  Again is starts back in Feb when Trump put the travel ban in place from china and that was deemed racist and not needed.  Between Feb-April the left's narrative was Trump is making covid sound worse than it is and it's nothing to fear.  Then the flip happened, not businesses on the right are trying to claim the same thing.  it's a perfect example of the type of mess USA is.  

This topic belongs in the other thread but yes the problem lies in the stupid 2 party system (Democrats vs Republicans).  It divides the country like no other.

mad phone GIF

• Hydration 1
14 minutes ago, BPA said:

It's totally against our constitutional right."

Which right was he talking about here? I don't recall one saying "Bars are allowed to open".

These morons would likely have refused to put up black out curtains" during ww2. "It's my right to leave my lights visible, so the enemy can see well enough to shell my house, and my neighbours as well".

• Upvote 1

Walmart to require all US customers to wear masks

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/walmart-to-require-all-us-customers-to-wear-masks/ar-BB16LZWc?ocid=iehp

Walmart announced on Wednesday it will require shoppers to wear a face covering starting on July 20 in all stores and clubs across the U.S.

This won't sit well with the anti-maskers.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Trump's the leader of the country....if he's "hurt the situation" then don't defend him.  He should be helping the situation...that's his job.  To ensure he has the right people in place to do so and to follow their advice.  To have a cohesive team in place that makes it easy for people to weed through information and get a consistent message.

It is majorly on him...you're wanting to deflect from that and his attitude has been flippant, ever changing (you speak of Fauci but Trump's all over the board) and has made this political rather than addressing it as a crisis and putting the full attention there.  He's used the opportunity..exploiting this to point out other's flaws rather than fully concentrating on getting this under control. 

He deflects, blames, fires people and will do everything to keep his narrative going....which is "I'm the very best, vote for me".

You are missing what people are saying...early on, this virus was (and still is) completely unknown.  

Masks were discouraged because health care officials needed them (most) and, as with tp, the public gobbles things up in order to hoard them.  Sell them. Whatever.   Masks also give people a fake sense of security and they take more risks.  So the message was never "wrong"...but it's been ever changing to address an ever changing situation.

If you deny that things are bad in the US with Trump at the helm, start there...then branch outward.  Because that's denial.

The US has done a terrible job of managing this thing with him at the helm.  And he is at the helm.  Not one to take orders, he owns this.

Pumpkinhead said himself he assumes no responsibility. As long as he gets to play golf and try and get richer with his government contacts. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Hydration 2
  • SNuck locked and unlocked this topic
  • SNuck featured and pinned this topic
  • SNuck unfeatured this topic