The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

Because we're public servants, we don't work for a private business. 

I put out over $500 of my own money every year for classroom things that should be supplied by the government........I shouldn't to pay for a mask to help save the lives of students and their loved ones, my colleagues and their loved ones or my loved ones.

Honestly, you're probably better getting your own mask that fits you properly. 

I seen a CF mask (one size fits all) that the military is using (they made it) and it is ugly as F.

Lol.

:P

5 hours ago, Russ said:

I am not getting into this with you again, we have both agreed that the budgets are too low.  Hell my dad was a teacher for 30+ years, I know all about how he had to work with PAC to get litterally 90% of his funding to keep his classroom functioning and how many hours he did outside of school hours just driving around burning gas galore to get stuff for his students.  He easily was spending thousands a year on fuel just getting supplies but he did it because of the students and knew it was part of his job unfortunately.  Districts are given budgets, now its time for the to pull money from one section, and go out and buy all the teachers reusable masks out of their yearly budgets. 

With the Denmark model.

Classes are split into 2 groups of 10. All day school for all K -5.

Edited by kingofsurrey

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Scary....Neonatal ICU at St. Paul's has a COVID outbreak.

That IS scary. I reckon NICU babies are potentially more susceptible. 

How the hell is that unit not ultra protected? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

With the Denmark model.

Half days for kids?  Yea I guess that could work alright, kids 6-12 grades should be able to bus home (just get the buses to drive a couple extra routes during the day) and they should be able to stay home by themselves by that age for the most part.

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

With the Denmark model.

Half days for kids?  Yea I guess that could work alright, kids 6-12 grades should be able to bus home (just get the buses to drive a couple extra routes during the day) and they should be able to stay home by themselves by that age for the most part.

10 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

One case in a healthcare setting can trigger an outbreak alert.  Hopefully this is the case here.  These are sometimes very fragile babies and all care needs to be taken for their protection.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Russ said:

My guess is half days, 5 days a week.  For k-5, Group A comes 8:30-11:30, group B comes 12:00-3:00.  15 kids per class in intermediate, 11 for primary. 

For MS and HS, I'm not sure how they'll work it.  We don't have middle school in my district, so 6/7 will probably be similar to June.....maybe split up into 4 groups with each group coming for a full day and the other three groups online and one day online for all.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Do we have the child care infrastructure to support this?

No.  There isn't enough child care to support such an influx.

It will have to be a community led effort.  Good neighbor / parents taking in kids classmates, grandparents, etc.

People who can work from home should be OK.  It's the parents who can't that will face some challenges.

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Do we have the child care infrastructure to support this?

Denmark uses 2 adults in everly K - 5 class.  Kids come all day.    But cohort aplit into 2 groups. Group A in class - Group B goes...... then they switch. 

This works better for working parents wth this 5 day a week all day model. 

Is BC Gov. willing to  pay for such a model....  I doubt it.     

33 minutes ago, BPA said:

It will have to be a community led effort.  Good neighbor / parents taking in kids classmates, grandparents, etc.

People who can work from home should be OK.  It's the parents who can't that will face some challenges.

people have to stop pretending things are going to get back to normal, they're not and we shouldn't be trying for normal........we are in a period of "lets just hang on".

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

it is scary, they are  not saying it was babies or someone else, either way i hope things go well and it is not too serious, for them and my sisters, one of my sisters needs a kidney and my other sister is a match. this was supposed to happen at ST Pauls on July 29th. they already cancelled it once a few months ago because of covid, and my sister is running out of time 

• Huggy Bear 3

59 minutes ago, stawns said:

well I guarantee they won't be putting 30 kids in a classroom 5 days a week.

53 minutes ago, BPA said:

Here's hoping employers are understanding of this...

48 minutes ago, BPA said:

people have to stop pretending things are going to get back to normal, they're not and we shouldn't be trying for normal........we are in a period of "lets just hang on".

• Vintage 1