The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Many of us saw this coming....

When the BC gov relaxed things...  No mask required on BC transit ... Strip clubs re-opened.... Restaurants opening up and using every single table with no distancing.....  No masks recommended in schools.....

This really sent the message to people that it was time to relax.   I was pretty p..ed off about it.  I wanted to slow things down.... 

I posted too many times here about my anger.  I    p....ed many of you.  It is true... I was a BROKEN record.... I was very negative about our government....

I am just going to keep rocking the mask... keep me and my family safe as possible at ALL times.

We all can really only control our own behaviour. 

Stay safe everyone.

We like to think in BC that we are smarter that the rest of Canada... smarter than all Americans...

You know what.... We aren't really any smarter..  Maybe we  were just lucky in BC to have the latest spring break in Canada that for many BCers..  got their foreign travel plans cancelled.....  .   STAY safe everyone. 

Hate to say it but there is some truth to what you are saying. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Hate to say it but there is some truth to what you are saying. 

Premier of Ontario says... -  WE love you Quebec but please don't come visit Ontario this summer due to covid.

Premeir of BC says...   WE love you Alberta and please come to BC this summer.... 

wow.....  This is my last covid post for a bit... I am too p..... ed off right now.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

then the government has to tke away the things that tempt those 20 somethings.......bars, gyms, boat launches, pubs, restaurants etc etc etc.

Hard to stop the private parties though

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Many of us saw this coming....

When the BC gov relaxed things...  No mask required on BC transit ... Strip clubs re-opened.... Restaurants opening up and using every single table with no distancing.....  No masks recommended in schools.....

This really sent the message to people that it was time to relax.   I was pretty p..ed off about it.  I wanted to slow things down.... 

I posted too many times here about my anger.  I    p....ed many of you.  It is true... I was a BROKEN record.... I was very negative about our government....

I am just going to keep rocking the mask... keep me and my family safe as possible at ALL times.

We all can really only control our own behaviour. 

Stay safe everyone.

We like to think in BC that we are smarter that the rest of Canada... smarter than all Americans...

You know what.... We aren't really any smarter..  Maybe we  were just lucky in BC to have the latest spring break in Canada that for many BCers..  got their foreign travel plans cancelled.....  .   STAY safe everyone. 

I agree with you 100%.  I'm still pretty much self-isolating besides work/groceries.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

We all can really only control our own behavior.

Okay, here's the thing about masks. If they work, but they only work if everyone wears one, why are they even a choice? Those of us who wear masks are at the mercy of anyone who chooses not to.
These numb nuts are out there flouting every precaution at will and we are powerless to change that. The least they could do is force them to wear a mask in the grocery store to keep them from spreading their dirty mouth juices. It's bloody infuriating watching all of our sacrifice being undone.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Okay, here's the thing about masks. If they work, but they only work if everyone wears one, why are they even a choice? Those of us who wear masks are at the mercy of anyone who chooses not to.
These numb nuts are out there flouting every precaution at will and we are powerless to change that. The least they could do is force them to wear a mask in the grocery store to keep them from spreading their dirty mouth juices. It's bloody infuriating watching all of our sacrifice being undone.

Well, it's a big country. You should be able to survive at home and alone if you feel that strongly about it. So that's good.

14 hours ago, spur1 said:

Not the least surprising with all the tourists pouring into my area and the Okanagan. Many people acting like it is over and partying away. I have seen parties, people shaking hands, hugging and riding in golf carts and vehicles together. It was only a matter of time. 

It's not surprising. 

Asking people to isolate during March in Canada is a joke. You don't have to ask me twice.

Asking Canadians to isolate in July and August is the correct thing to do but it's not easy especially in the city.

Rural areas are easier, Kelowna Vancouver not so much.

16 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

It's not surprising. 

Asking people to isolate during March in Canada is a joke. You don't have to ask me twice.

Asking Canadians to isolate in July and August is the correct thing to do but it's not easy especially in the city.

Rural areas are easier, Kelowna Vancouver not so much.

Yeah, goofball central is hard to control. Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver. worst of the worst.

The spike in COVID infections is certainly worrisome.  In our society we've been using the push of encouraging people to "want to" take the appropriate actions rather than forcing things.  I believe I've heard that the fear of forcing things is that everything just gets driven underground.  Isn't that what happened with Prohibition?  (before my time LOL)  Short of becoming a police state, I'm not sure there is a way to completely shut things down and force people to stay at home other than going out for essential items.  It's summer, people will congregate in back yards, beaches, forests, gravel pits, wherever so I think the best that can be hoped for is that the message of being safe continues to be driven home.  There is also the economic impact of trying to get as many people as possible back to work.  The government can't continue handing out money in the form of CERB forever.  I think it's a tightrope kind of balancing act to try to have business's reopen and encourage people to behave responsibly.  

I guess if there is a good thing out of the recent spike it's that it's largely being traced back to the parties in Kelowna.  I was in Kelowna last weekend on a golf trip.  We were careful to stay out of downtown, we ate largely at the golf courses, went to a couple of wineries.  Everywhere we went there was active social distancing, servers were wearing masks, lots of sanitizing of tables, chairs, touchpoints.  Tables at the golf courses and wineries were well spaced out and everything we did was outdoors.  The hotel was also actively sanitizing, had the tables in the breakfast area spaced out, everyone that I saw that came into the lobby was careful about sanitizing their hands, most were wearing masks.  There were some young people at the hotel, heard them coming back to their rooms around 1:30 in the morning, so guessing they were partying in some places that weren't safe. 

Each of us needs to take the actions we deem appropriate for our personal circumstance and whatever we can do to protect others.  Wear a mask wherever you think it appropriate, stay home as much as possible if you are concerned about infection but sadly I don't think there is a way to force that on everyone.  

Pray for bad weather.  

• Wat 1

Someone above mentioned riding in golf carts together.  My experience is that if you come on a golf package vacation as we did to Kelowna, the course will let you ride together in a cart.  (we had just driven 4 hours together so not unexpected).  Otherwise, most courses you have to show a proof of residence that you live together before they will let you share a cart.  

Most responsible business owners are very aware that if they don't abide by the WSBC rules they could be shut down in a heart beat.  They are doing their best to follow the guidelines.  The spin studio I go to the owner is constantly reminding us that we need to sanitize, we need to stay 6 feet apart, that WSBC inspectors are actively checking and she doesn't want to be shut down.  

One of the golf courses I play at is constantly on the loudspeaker reminding people to stay apart, they have sections identified where one is to wait for their tee time and they have kicked people off the course for not abiding by the social distancing rules.  

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, skategal said:

Someone above mentioned riding in golf carts together.  My experience is that if you come on a golf package vacation as we did to Kelowna, the course will let you ride together in a cart.  (we had just driven 4 hours together so not unexpected).  Otherwise, most courses you have to show a proof of residence that you live together before they will let you share a cart.  

Most responsible business owners are very aware that if they don't abide by the WSBC rules they could be shut down in a heart beat.  They are doing their best to follow the guidelines.  The spin studio I go to the owner is constantly reminding us that we need to sanitize, we need to stay 6 feet apart, that WSBC inspectors are actively checking and she doesn't want to be shut down.  

One of the golf courses I play at is constantly on the loudspeaker reminding people to stay apart, they have sections identified where one is to wait for their tee time and they have kicked people off the course for not abiding by the social distancing rules.  

I hear you, but you still could of(have) caught it. I don't breathe around other people. It's the best defence/offence. Golf is pretty clean and safe relatively speaking.  Have fun but be safe. If you get it you get it. It doesn't make you a leper. I'm sure we will find a vaccine (or the financial world will die) and we can all go back to waiting for the zombie apocalypse. :canucks:

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, skategal said:

The spike in COVID infections is certainly worrisome.  In our society we've been using the push of encouraging people to "want to" take the appropriate actions rather than forcing things.  I believe I've heard that the fear of forcing things is that everything just gets driven underground.  Isn't that what happened with Prohibition?  (before my time LOL)  Short of becoming a police state, I'm not sure there is a way to completely shut things down and force people to stay at home other than going out for essential items.  It's summer, people will congregate in back yards, beaches, forests, gravel pits, wherever so I think the best that can be hoped for is that the message of being safe continues to be driven home.  There is also the economic impact of trying to get as many people as possible back to work.  The government can't continue handing out money in the form of CERB forever.  I think it's a tightrope kind of balancing act to try to have business's reopen and encourage people to behave responsibly.  

I guess if there is a good thing out of the recent spike it's that it's largely being traced back to the parties in Kelowna.  I was in Kelowna last weekend on a golf trip.  We were careful to stay out of downtown, we ate largely at the golf courses, went to a couple of wineries.  Everywhere we went there was active social distancing, servers were wearing masks, lots of sanitizing of tables, chairs, touchpoints.  Tables at the golf courses and wineries were well spaced out and everything we did was outdoors.  The hotel was also actively sanitizing, had the tables in the breakfast area spaced out, everyone that I saw that came into the lobby was careful about sanitizing their hands, most were wearing masks.  There were some young people at the hotel, heard them coming back to their rooms around 1:30 in the morning, so guessing they were partying in some places that weren't safe. 

Each of us needs to take the actions we deem appropriate for our personal circumstance and whatever we can do to protect others.  Wear a mask wherever you think it appropriate, stay home as much as possible if you are concerned about infection but sadly I don't think there is a way to force that on everyone.  

Pray for bad weather.  

Downtown was just where it started, it's being tracked to wineries, restaurants and even the hospital where at least 6 healthcare workers have tested positive and now have to quarantine.

I don't care if they go underground, shut things down again.  If they have parties, people need to report them and they need to be heavily fined.  I cannot believe how ridiculously stupid some people are about this............it breached the neo-natal ICU in St Paul's and that's not enough for us to say "damn, we better play ball".

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, stawns said:

then the government has to tke away the things that tempt those 20 somethings.......bars, gyms, boat launches, pubs, restaurants etc etc etc.

I have never seen my gym as clean as it is now.  They got 2 extra staff on just to clean, everyone is actually wiping down the machines with sanitizer after each thing.  And you can't blame it on 20 somethings for gyms, no joke its 50% elderly (60+ year olds) at the gym now it seems, maybe its just the time I am going but theres just as many older retirees as younger people. 

Just now, Russ said:

I have never seen my gym as clean as it is now.  They got 2 extra staff on just to clean, everyone is actually wiping down the machines with sanitizer after each thing.  And you can't blame it on 20 somethings for gyms, no joke its 50% elderly (60+ year olds) at the gym now it seems, maybe its just the time I am going but theres just as many older retirees as younger people. 

In a gym, it's about air transmission.  We should not be having any indoor activities with large groups of people right now.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, skategal said:

Pray for bad weather.  

So it's your fault....:angry:

I'm on holidays and I'm trying to get a back yard deck built....I've had one decent weather day since Friday and the forecast is calling for more rain all week.

I expect to see an ark float by, any day now....<_<

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Russ said:

Are people not able to work out by themselves?

OMG. Yousers.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, skategal said:

Pray for bad weather.  

I'm thinking that some of these Young people are renting Vacation Homes to do their partying since the resort has imposed the strict rules on social distancing and gatherings.  The province needs to stop short term rentals of private residences for the time being.  Way too much risk involved with these "gatherings".  I moved into my new condo before Covid and already there are two Air bnb's in them which is against our Strata Bylaws.  Right now, we can't do much other than levy fines which are difficult to collect.  That lady in North Van running that Hostel in a Townhouse complex was finally forced to sell after how many years?  And that was very Blatant.  Before Covid, we had many Visitors from the US.  Now we are getting people from Alberta and Sask.  

Here we are with that expectation that cases weren't going to eventually rise. This expectation that we could keep numbers as close to zero as possible indefinitely. The whole point of the measures the province put into place earlier was to prevent the hospital system from being overwhelmed and it worked flawlessly. 100 cases over 3 days in a province with over 5 million people is nothing. Assert the importance of masks and keep on keeping on. What, are we going to shut everything down again and start handing out free money? 

• Vintage 1