The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing Proposal] A realistic way of signing Travis Hamonic without a trade

Read the post before answering, would you bring in Hamonic in this scenario  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Nik won't be possible due to the mid-Feb RFA cutoff.

I am 99.9% sure that rule doesn't apply to Tryamkin  he is not a RFA he is a signed player in another league

It would apply to a guy like Barzal

Edited by Arrow 1983

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

This doesn't stop them from signing anyone, Podkolzin will sign for rookie Maximum only thing we don't know is how much his bonuses will be. We do know that those bonuses are most likely not going to be Max Cause he wasn't a top 5 pick and player bonuses do not count against the cap they would be carried forward. But for the most part it would be hard for him to even achieve them. If anything he would sign so he can burn 1 year off his ELC Benning does like to do that and Podkolzin would benefit greatly being able to train and practice with an NHL roster on the taxi squad. 

They Can still sign Tryamkin as well. Both these players will still have to win a spot on the team if so someone will be moved to the taxi squad.

I still think we should let some of these kids, OJ etc, have a shot at filling the roster. We're in a weird space this year, let's not overload on other players when we don't know for sure if the AHL is going to play. Would rather just let our kids get some extra work, even if it means that we don't make the playoffs this season.

• Upvote 1

Especially the fact that he's waited out this long, the Covid-cap and the fact that Benning can move some pieces around (for example, Ferland on LTIR, and Eriksson and Baertschi in Utica), I think we have plenty of space to sign Hamonic. 3M should do the job for a one year deal. Vatanen on our bottom pairing with Juolevi sounds interesting but they'll be feasted on, whereas Hamonic can hold his own and protect the younger kids. A combination of Hamonic, Schmidt, Myers and Edler is a nice physical, strong defence whilst Hughes and Juolevi/whichever kid plays in our top-6 brings some skating and offence. Vatanen might be a bit too much offence/skating without enough sturdiness but JB could easily go either way and make an argument for it. It's a fine balance but I'd prefer Hamonic to Vatanen's combined -1000 from NJD.

15 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I am 99.9% sure that rule doesn't apply to Tryamkin  he is not a RFA he is a signed player in another league

he has to sign by Feb 11th to be able to play this year with the Canucks. Very doubtful he leaves his KHL team before the end of their season. 

17 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Nope he still classes as an RFA same situation as puljujarvi was in prior to signing in October

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Hmmm

That's not fair first I'm the one that wrote the original post and titled it "a realist way of getting Hamonic"

second you took me out of context 

and third at the time of writing this most people would have maybe given it a 50-50 chance at best 

if anything you should quote the original post and be like hey man you nailed it on the head considering I'm no GM and unlike you I  wrote this thinking how unlikely it would be for the Canucks to actually dump cap I used some foresight as you got to use hindsight to mock me. 

I will use some more foresight and say that he will sign for no less then 2.0 mill that's what Vatanen got and I think it will actually be a larger # then that.

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

That's not fair first I'm the one that wrote the original post and titled it "a realist way of getting Hamonic"

second you took me out of context 

and third at the time of writing this most people would have maybe given it a 50-50 chance at best 

if anything you should quote the original post and be like hey man you nailed it on the head considering I'm no GM and unlike you I  wrote this thinking how unlikely it would be for the Canucks to actually dump cap I used some foresight as you got to use hindsight to mock me. 

I will use some more foresight and say that he will sign for no less then 2.0 mill that's what Vatanen got and I think it will actually be a larger # then that.

LOL.   Glad you still have your sense of humour.