The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Could Do Us A Solid.

Rate this topic

Cat Man

48 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Best thing that can happen is he has a season where gets 40 points. And a team desperate enough takes him for the last two years. 

Guy couldn’t even get a single point by accident despite seeing some minutes in the top six in the postseason .  While he still has legit NHL defensive ability, his offensive game is just plain offensive.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Loui could be dealt, just need to be creative and give an asset.

LE to Detroit with 2m retained

Det sends LE to NJ 2m retained

Canucks/Det/NJ all share a 2m cap hit for LE

Canucks give up a pick and prospect, Detroit uses that prospect or a draft pick and attaches it to LE to trade him to NJ

Canucks save 4m against the cap for the remainder of the deal. Looks to be plausible as I have seen people mention a 3rd team getting involved to help send Fleury to Washington with the recent heart condition for King Henrik

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Loui could be dealt, just need to be creative and give an asset.

LE to Detroit with 2m retained

Det sends LE to NJ 2m retained

Canucks/Det/NJ all share a 2m cap hit for LE

Canucks give up a pick and prospect, Detroit uses that prospect or a draft pick and attaches it to LE to trade him to NJ

Canucks save 4m against the cap for the remainder of the deal. Looks to be plausible as I have seen people mention a 3rd team getting involved to help send Fleury to Washington with the recent heart condition for King Henrik

we'd need to give up someone like Hoglander to make this happen. Its not worth it. 

• Upvote 3

How much can we actually retain if we were to trade Loui?

He's only owed 1 million in actual dollars this season. If we retain more than that, it could be construed as a cash payment. I'm not clear on the rules on retaining salary.

Edited by RWMc1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we'd need to give up someone like Hoglander to make this happen. Its not worth it. 

we should never do that if a team is only going to retain 2m, better of to just send a pick as that is an unknown. Just pathetic this guy is still on the team, can't wait for him to be gone, just hope the GM doesn't make some more poor signings down the road...we got young guys needing raises and need to still improve the team so can't go and over spend and cave to FA demands like we have seen more than once or twice in JB's tenure

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

we should never do that if a team is only going to retain 2m, better of to just send a pick as that is an unknown. Just pathetic this guy is still on the team, can't wait for him to be gone, just hope the GM doesn't make some more poor signings down the road...we got young guys needing raises and need to still improve the team so can't go and over spend and cave to FA demands like we have seen more than once or twice in JB's tenure

maybe If the cap was up at 86-87 mil and no covid losses for owners. Its a new world, and he's ours forever. 

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

If Loui wants to do us a solid

All he has to do is retire................

Retire Loui......RETIRE!

this is it, its the only option. 

9 hours ago, Cat Man said:

IMG_1258.thumb.JPG.d579df1d1428bef82603a8d91573928f.JPG

Not up on the jargon and details like some around these parts but could he opt costing him 1 mil in salary, the team could forgo the toll and gain 6 mil in cap?

My demonstratably piss poor computer skills proof I must surely be mistaken? 

Can players opt-out?--Player.textClipping 12.83 kB · 0 downloads

Pushing his $ to a later year is worse.  Let's take our medicine and be clear of all our bad money in two years when we need it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

If Loui wants to do us a solid

All he has to do is retire................

Retire Loui......RETIRE!

When will people learn, who in their right mind would walk away from millions unless your body is destroyed...LE wouldn't hit a fly so he has 0 injuries that are life altering.

Would a normal person JUST retire from their job that paid them say $70,000 a year 2 years early just because their boss wanted them too??

It is laughable how often I have seen posters just say "LE just retire and walk away from millions..."

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

When will people learn, who in their right mind would walk away from millions unless your body is destroyed...LE wouldn't hit a fly so he has 0 injuries that are life altering.

Would a normal person JUST retire from their job that paid them say $70,000 a year 2 years early just because their boss wanted them too??

It is laughable how often I have seen posters just say "LE just retire and walk away from millions..."

I never said he would, nor that I expected him too

You are certainly right.................who in their right mind would walk away from all that money?

What I said, was in response to the Poster and this thread..........

I think everyone knows that.....almost every one :picard:

7 hours ago, Goat James said:

I'd even argue that he's done more damage than Messier did. There was no salary cap back then, plus we got Bertuzzi in the Linden trade. 

Nah..... as much as Messier wishes to ret-con his time in Vancouver by saying he was part of a "rebuilding" team, he wasn't supposed to.  

The roster of the Canucks when he arrived consisted of: Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, Alexander Mogilny, a young Markus Naslund, a Mattias Ohlund who was runner up for the Calder, Corey Hirsch who was a young goalie who arrived on the scene, PWF Dave Scatchard who kept getting better (broke out after being traded), the "Wild Thing" Scotty Walker, and a who host of players who were just a few years removed from Game 7 in 94.... Martin Gelinas, Jyrki Lumme, Bret Hedican, etc.  

Messier was supposed to bring them over the top.... not force a rebuild onto a contending team.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mll said:

Opting out costs him 4M.  Can't see how the league would allow him to retain the 3M in bonus and opt out.  Would probably trigger an investigation if players take their bonus and then opt out with teams not reclaiming the bonuses.  

7 hours ago, mll said:

The bonus and any salary already paid would have to be returned.    

Cooked up my harebrained theory from the Sportsnet article. No twittering going on around here...sounded too good to be true:canucks:

Seemed he could keep 3, lose 1, stay home, make room for young un's, team says see you for the LAST time next year...sounded too good to be true:canucks:

The six was was an awkward hail mary...kinda felt like a Gillis circumcision...oops...circumvention.     

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think he already did us a solid....

I so knew that was coming, half way down the first page no less:P

Edited by Cat Man
Thanks for adding the attachment..I'll go that way next time.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Thing is, $70000 a year is a normal salarie. 6 mil is not.  LE has probably earned upwards of 60 mill in his career.  60 MILLION bucks!!!!!!

He's not effective AT ALL. He is unable to contribute to his team! He is handicapping his team from using his salary to improve the team......unfair to teammates. As a matter of fact it's not that he has declined but he has never been effective here!  

He, if in the lineup is taking a spot from a younger player who would like to develope. 

He has a legally binding contract and legally he has a case to collect.

Anyone with an ounce of class would retire at this point though. 

I rarely dislike a Canuck the way I dislike this player.  Lazy .  

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1