The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Could Do Us A Solid.

Rate this topic

Cat Man

I don't think this means we'd shed both years and $6 million of cap... it says they can opt out "a" contract year.  

The bonus which was paid for Loui will bite us back.  However I think Sven could be someone who could look into this if things get worse (he opted out last time, and it's not like it's a guarantee that he'll get to play with us even if he wants to, plus his young family and all might be another reason for him doing so).  Opting out and us choosing not to toll = $3 million off the books. 

5 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

How much can we actually retain if we were to trade Loui?

He's only owed 1 million in actual dollars this season. If we retain more than that, it could be construed as a cash payment. I'm not clear on the rules on retaining salary.

Put him on taxi squad, easiest decision and he will not have to play for us this season.  It would allow for young team to build their game together without Loui.

• Hydration 1

7 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Put him on taxi squad, easiest decision and he will not have to play for us this season.  It would allow for young team to build their game together without Loui.

Winner winner chicken dinner...that's the way it'll play out I'm figuring.

• Hydration 1

6 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

How much can we actually retain if we were to trade Loui?

He's only owed 1 million in actual dollars this season. If we retain more than that, it could be construed as a cash payment. I'm not clear on the rules on retaining salary.

It’s based on percentage. IE if the Canucks retain 3 million, they retain 50% of whatever salary is still owed Eriksson. So 500k salary retained but $3 million in cap relief

11 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Perfect year to get another year of this guy off the books. Thank the hockey gods we only need to see 56 games and not 82 games.

He will go down as one of the worst Canucks in history with Messier.

38 goals in 245 games - 24M = 639K per goal

Can't wait to say good riddance.

RING of HONOR?????

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

Why would you reward a lazy piece of **** with a cushy spot on the taxi squad?  Send that useless floater down to Utica and let him rot in the press box down there.  Leave the taxi squad to players who actually want to be NHLers.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

I’ve given up on any idea of him moving on. We only have a year and a half (calendar year) and he’s gone. No draft picks or prospects traded - beautiful. If he’s ok sitting in the press box, playing the odd game Ive come to the conclusion that I’m ok with that. It’s more of a meme then anything now. Just let the contract expire then we can finally move on

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Nah..... as much as Messier wishes to ret-con his time in Vancouver by saying he was part of a "rebuilding" team, he wasn't supposed to.  

The roster of the Canucks when he arrived consisted of: Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, Alexander Mogilny, a young Markus Naslund, a Mattias Ohlund who was runner up for the Calder, Corey Hirsch who was a young goalie who arrived on the scene, PWF Dave Scatchard who kept getting better (broke out after being traded), the "Wild Thing" Scotty Walker, and a who host of players who were just a few years removed from Game 7 in 94.... Martin Gelinas, Jyrki Lumme, Bret Hedican, etc.  

Messier was supposed to bring them over the top.... not force a rebuild onto a contending team.  

That's still what hurts so much. He was supposed to be the piece to make the team better. Not rip it apart. 

18 hours ago, ImConfused said:

Yeah and then Bettman hits us with a 6 million cap re-tolling penalty until 2030.

Just park Loui in the press box until he retires from an equipment allergy or whatnot.

The only solids he's going to be doing us, are scoring when the net is empty.

ummm I'm sure he could find a way to miss an empty net... :(

7 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I don't think this means we'd shed both years and $6 million of cap... it says they can opt out "a" contract year.  

The bonus which was paid for Loui will bite us back.  However I think Sven could be someone who could look into this if things get worse (he opted out last time, and it's not like it's a guarantee that he'll get to play with us even if he wants to, plus his young family and all might be another reason for him doing so).  Opting out and us choosing not to toll = $3 million off the books. 

Would you say no to 6 mil in LE's case or 3 mil in Sven's case? Not exactly chump change but honestly I wish they'd head to Europe and play there, pay is still good. Sven is a hit away from possible retirement and LE for whatever reason lost his drive so we could only hope but highly doubtful 2 guys turn down 9 million $ between them.. 

Nice thought though, if only but we're not the only team with a bad contract with a player that didn't work out but time will take care of that. 

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Would you say no to 6 mil in LE's case or 3 mil in Sven's case? Not exactly chump change but honestly I wish they'd head to Europe and play there, pay is still good. Sven is a hit away from possible retirement and LE for whatever reason lost his drive so we could only hope but highly doubtful 2 guys turn down 9 million $ between them.. 

Nice thought though, if only but we're not the only team with a bad contract with a player that didn't work out but time will take care of that. 

If I was as lazy as LE is, and had the option to never work again, I'd jump at the opportunity, especially if the only option to continue my career was to play somewhere the entire city hated me.

1 hour ago, The Colt 45s said:

I am surprised that no one has suggested to line him up against Kassian, Lucic, and Tkachuk every game and hope for some wonderful magic.

Suddenly LE can fly like the wind!  chicken in the wind more like it, I thought after the last night he played with the Sedins, he would continue that after they were gone (mojo back on action)  but man, the beast he played like that night, ermmm turned into a pussy and never changed.. wouldn't even want him in Utica.  just go back to Sweden already dude..

3 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Definitely, I would think he could, Then he can play in Europe and possibly earn another NHL contract.

He just told Kuzma he's coming to camp to earn a spot.  He didn't want to be away from his family that long - it's no longer a bubble environment where players are kept away from their families.

Edited by mll