The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petey is single-handedly bringing the NHL some much needed personality

Rate this topic

Coconuts

Yeah, he's legitimately becoming the NHL's first current social media darling.

Technically, there's guys like Ryan Whitney & Paul Bisonnette (Spittin Chiclets) who have found social media success after there playing careers but we haven't seen current stars really harness it.

The truth is, guys like Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby, Alexander Ovechkin -- and the other stars of the NHL need to step it up. Part of being a pro athlete going forward will be to have an active social media presence. NBA and NFL players have figured it out in spades with the leagues biggest stars in both sports really utilizing social media (I mean, LeBron James has a pretty legendary Instagram and twitter feed and he's his generation's greatest player). Whereas MLB and NHL players lag behind with about 95% of NHL players going the "stoic silent" route when it comes to interacting with the media/fans.... I just don't think that's going to cut it anymore. Spittin Chiclets is at least showing NHL players have more personality but I hope guys like Petey pave the way for the new generation to be active in social media... it's really refreshing.

And I assume as Petey gets more comfortable with the English language, he'll do more videos and stuff. It's cool he's already launched a Twitch channel and teaming up with Michael Buble to sign Christmas Carols and popping onto podcasts, I'm just waiting to see when he launches his own VLOG channel on youtube -- he'll probably do it once he signs his first big contract and hires a camera crew to follow him around in the offseason hahahaha.

Edited by Quantum
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Yeah, he's legitimately becoming the NHL's first current social media darling.

Technically, there's guys like Ryan Whitney & Paul Bisonnette (Spittin Chiclets) who have found social media success after there playing careers but we haven't really seen current stars really harness it.

The truth is, guys like Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby, Alexander Ovechkin -- and the other stars of the NHL need to step it up. Part of being a pro athlete going forward will be to have an active social media presence. NBA and NFL players have figured it out in spades with the leagues biggest stars in both sports really utilizing social media (I mean, LeBron James has a pretty legendary Instagram and twitter feed and he's his generation's greatest player). Whereas MLB and NHL players lag behind with about 95% of NHL players going the "stoic silent" route when it comes to interacting with the media/fans.... I just don't think that's going to cut it anymore. Spittin Chiclets is at least showing NHL players have more personality but I hope guys like Petey pave the way for the new generation to be active in social media... it's really refreshing.

And I assume as Petey gets more comfortable with the English language, he'll do more videos and stuff. It's cool he's already launched a Twitch channel and teaming up with Michael Buble to sign Christmas Carols and popping onto podcasts, I'm just waiting to see when he launches his own VLOG channel on youtube -- he'll probably do it once he signs his first big contract and hires a camera crew to follow him around in the offseason hahahaha.

The two aforementioned weren't on the same level, Bisonette was entertaining for a plug though. You're right though, you don't really see NHL stars harness social media the same way you see in other sports. I mean, Subban is a very colourful personality but he hasn't really been relevant in Jersey. 

I don't think fans want to read tabloid stuff about NHL players (though they will monitor it) as much as they want to see what players themselves want to put out there. I love getting little glimpses into the lives of my favourite NHL players, and seeing the stuff that's less cliche hockey content. I love that Gaudette streams, I love how Petey embraces fashion and doing his own thing, I like getting little glimpses into the guys hanging out. Fans love their players as players, but I think we want to see more of the players as people. And I while I totally understand social media isn't for everyone, I wish being an individual was more encouraged amongst NHL players when it comes to social media. 

Totally agree, would love to see more from other players going forward, but even if we don't get it I'm incredibly thankful for Petey. I hope he always does his own thing. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I watched the From Alex to Ovi program and they talked about charisma.  Love Ovi...he's a favourite of mine because he wears his heart on his sleeve.  And also...he's an incredible player.

Petey's got tons of (swagger) charisma, but his is a different kind than Ovi's.  Ovi's like a big kid in a candy shop.  Petey's subtler, more subdued and serious...but he isn't afraid to put himself out there outside the rink or seemingly feel like he has to put on a facade of greatness.  Just a guy loving life.  He'll do goofy stuff and and that's very endearing.  As a superstar, he could be quite different but seems to embrace his "following" and has opened himself up to fans in a really welcoming way. 

There's nothing not to love about this kid.

• Like 4

Guy is just a darling of the league in a lot of ways.  He's just hilariously goofy and dorky and likable, all the while being absolutely squeaky clean and polite and well-spoken.

Can't help but love Petey, what a stud.  I still have to pinch myself at times that we got this guy at 5th.

• Cheers 1

Whats this obsession with personality?  Id rather players just be themselves, honest and humble the way hockey players normally are. Its what sets this league apart from others.  Does the personality of a player really affect your lives?  

I miss the Yzermans and Sakics of the game that just kept it simple, shut their mouths, and just went out there and worked their asses off to win for their fans.