The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Season Prediction Thread

Rate this topic

-AJ-

I predict that if Green gets fired by game 30 this will be the shot in the arm (get it? COVID joke) the ‘Nucks need to win the Cup.

If not, just another mediocre year, maybe 4th, maybe 5th and out in first round if we make it.

I also predict canuck73 will spend most of the season once again confused.

EDIT: after someone pointed out the inter division play will be like original 6 if Green survives the season I predict a 6th pace finish, we might get off to a good start first dozen games but it’ll quickly go down hill as the intensity goes up. 

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I predict that if Green gets fired by game 30 this will be the shot in the arm (get it? COVID joke) the ‘Nucks need to win the Cup.

If not, just another mediocre year, maybe 4th, maybe 5th and out in first round if we make it.

I also predict canuck73 will spend most of the season once again confused.

if Green is fired at game 30, there won't be a cup run.

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

The Canucks must be .600 or better .500 hockey wont cut it. Habs, Leaf's, Jets, Flames, and Oilers are going to be better than last year. 

Totally disagree. Habs will be better but  only enough to be a bubble team.                  As for the Leafs they gave up secondary offence to make only a slight gain on defence. Bubble team                                 Jets will be ok if healthy as other than Helly their young D learning that is what will keep them in it for the top four. 
The Flames improved their goaltending 5-10% but their defence took a step back unless a couple of their prospects can really step up. Their forwards are about the same. Possible contender but not any more than last season. 
The Oilers a little more experienced this year but goaltending and defence is shaky. Barrie is only a secondary replacement for Klef. They will be hard pressed to make the playoffs. 
Canucks lost a lot less than most think. In fact I think as the season progresses we will see an improvement. They will be in the top three. 
Sens may surprise. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

This season will be about a fast start. The Canucks will have to jump out of the gate in their first ten games to have any chance of making the playoffs.

A shortened season will benefit the veterans like Edler.

56 game season, less travel than most years, especially with playing games in a series like Baseball does. This all benefits the Canucks. They have the most miles on by any team every season, and the lack of travel should keep them fresh. As with most years injuries will play a significant role as the depth here is the question. Healthy we can compete with anyone. Lose a defenseman or two and we will see where we sit.

The big advantage might be the Canucks power play.

I see the north division settling out like this

1Winnipeg-best goaltender in the division , gives them the upper hand

2Montreal- great goaltending again, added firepower

3Vancouver- If Holtby and Demko can make us forget about Marky we will be right there.

4Calgary- Markstrom can take this team higher if he plays like last season

5Toronto- Still not enough defense or goaltending here to improve enough,

6Edmonton- two great forwards and still no D or goaltending, Cant win without D

7Ottawa- while they will be  more competitive, they still are not there yet.

The good

Petterson leads the team in goals and points this season

Brock has a real good season.

Horvat is a beast.

Miller has another great year.

Hughes continues to be a force

Schmidt comes in and is exactly as advertised. Tanev not missed on the ice.

Juolevi has a strong year as well.

Holtby shines in net and Demko backs up in most games

Now the bad

Pearson has a tough year, cant get the empty net goals he had last season to boost his total.

Virtanen does not impress and is 4th line material

Hoglander makes the team out of camp but does not produce

Eriksson has one goal all year.

Sutter out again for at least 10 games

in other divisions Vegas beats out Colorado for the West division

Dallas beats out Tampa for the Central but cant sustain it in the playoffs

Buffalo almost beats out the Islanders for the crown in the East

Going bold i say the Islanders beat the Jets in a 7 game finals.

GCG. Just finish ahead of the Laffs.

Edited by mikeyman109

Reserved...

Canucks goaltending struggles a lot early in the year but gets tremendously better as the season goes on.

Canucks come back from near the bottom of the division to...

Neither Pod/Hog are the best rookie on the team next year.

Edler retires at the end of the year. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Vintage 1

On 1/1/2021 at 8:01 PM, vannuck59 said:

The Canucks must be .600 or better .500 hockey wont cut it. Habs, Leaf's, Jets, Flames, and Oilers are going to be better than last year. 

Maybe if we still were in the same division.  This division is going to split points like crazy, it wouldn’t surprise me if the first ranked team is just around .600.    Last season less then .600 would have been enough to make it in our division/conference.    

Montreal is getting more love then they should probably get...they are modestly improved that’s about it.   That team lives on Weber and Price more then anything.    Don’t feel they are better then us.   They got lucky last playoffs/year, otherwise it would have been another top ten pick.   Allen for sure was their best acquisition, but not big enough of a safety net. 

TO?   They shouldn’t have any problems making the playoffs.  CAL too.   It’s hard to predict who will get the other two spots - a real guessing game.   Feel lessons learned from last playoffs will motivate our team and we will finish 3-4th in our division.    We have a lot of wild cards - I’m sure at least one of them will make an impact, no Calder finalists this year - BUT we could have one or two in the top ten in voting. 

Predictions:

JV finally gets the message, seeing Podz breathing down his neck and his hockey future in doubt for the first time, gives it 110% and scores 20 plus goals.   

Motte goes from unsung hero to hero. Pearson won’t get a contract from us, Motte works his way up the lineup. 

Myers production goes back to his career norm.   JB makes sure he doesn’t have to expose him to Seattle.Him and Edler form a beast of a second pairing. 

OJ helps make our third pairing legitimate.   Plays like a top four D all year for us.

Rafferty gets some time and also works his way into the lineup easily replacing Stetcher.

Holtby plays well, Demko has some ups and downs but his ups are good enough to take over the crease.   Goaltending is a team strength.

Schmidt and Hughes form one of the leagues better first pairings.

Edler is vintage Edler ... doesn’t get as many points but plays great for us.

We make the playoffs and dispose of TO easily in five games.

Next up CAL or Vancouver-lite.   Markstrom is injured,  we sweep them.

Play Vegas (again) in the WCF.   No rope a dope this time - we go hammer and tong, Horvat has a monster series and we best them in six.

Stanley Cup Final

We play Tampa Bay.   After a hard fought series we win in seven games. Hockey writers crown it the best series of the modern era - bumping the current best series of the modern era (post expansion), the 1994 cup final- demons are exorcsied- the province rejoices.. far away Messier chokes on his Lays, has a stroke and ends up in a coma. 

Edited by IBatch

1. Canucks make Conference finals.
  2. Elias leading the scoring.
  3. Quinn will have a little bit of a sophomore slump for the first 20+ games or so but picks up the pace as we approach playoffs.
  4. JT Miller will continue his point production from last season.
  5. Demko proves he's the future No 1 goalie for this team.
  6. Horvat will have a quiet season until the playoffs where he unleashes the beast within him.
Edited by canucktican
  • Thanks 1

Feeling much more confident with the add of Hamonic even if he gets hurt it sets the right tone in the room and raises team morale.

1. Canucks make Second Round, lose to Leafs or Winnipeg.

2. Elias leading scorer.

3. Quinn finishes just shy of a PPG. 52 pts in 56 GP.

4. Demko establishes himself as the clear cut #1.

5. Hoglander wows at camp, gets some nhl ice time (a taste perhaps).

6. Juolevi is a steady 2 way beast who makes us wonder is he ready for consistent top 4 next season?

7. We outscore all teams in our division with scoring from the blueline.

8. Winnipeg kicks some ass and we win 4 of our 9 games vs them.

9. Holtby gets claimed by Seattle.

10. DiPieto sees his first second NHL game this season.

11. The flames implode. The oilers slide on their oil patch.

12. We become serious super contender'ish team next season. 

• Cheers 1

Demko and Holtby split time, almost 50/50. Both show very well making goalie decisions very hard.

Juolevi puts up a respectable 15 points as a rookie D-man without powerplay time.

Eriksson scores 50 points. In Utica.

Canucks make the playoffs, ahead of the Flames who start strong but fizzle midway through the season and never really get their mojo back. Edmonton scores tons of goals and still loses. Toronto scores tons of goals and wins, but we all have to hear the news coverage about the crumbs in Joe Thornton's beard. Jets stay roughly where they were last year. Ottawa... they're going to surprise a few people and put up a fight, possibly a better fight than Montreal.

The division is going to be a bloodbath. And I love it.

On 1/2/2021 at 12:20 PM, mikeyman109 said:

1Vancouver

2Toronto

3Calgary

4Edmonton

5Winnipeg

6Montreal

7Ottawa

Fixed it for you. :)

I don't actually predict Vancouver will be first. I think it is possible, but every star would need to align for us. Otherwise, I feel this is a more accurate list. I'd love to look back at this post after next season to see how wrong I was.

• Wat 1