The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Demko a #1 goalie

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Is Demko a #1 goalie  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OP, it depends which point in time you're referring to.

Is he one now?  Probably not (without further proof he's a 28-35 for me for now, highest probably 20).  Is there hope he can quickly scale the ranks?  For sure. 
Then again, did we ever consider Cory Schneider a likely #1?  Undoubtedly.  Is there a chance TD's career goes in that direction?  Again without a doubt.

Is there a chance that he and Holtby become what Greiss and Varlamov were last year (both capable but neither distinguishes themselves as a true #1)? 
- I don't think we can rule that out, though in that case not having a "true" number 1, at least right away, might not be a problem since they can platoon.

I just hope he doesn't pan out like a Cam Ward, in that they peaked too soon and then returned to just average starter status.

The starter job is Demko's to lose and win but it comes down to he still has time to hone his game and be good on most nights and learn from the the best goalie coach and one of the best goalies of the last decade.

I am abstaining from the vote though. Demko has not played enough NHL games to say

As a season ticket holder I have been lucky enough to watch Demko's development live.  I saw his first game with the Larscheiders chanting Thatcher Demko.... Thatcher Demko. As I listened I thought you know what there  is something special about this kid.

I've seen him play live roughly 10 times since. I have focused on him.  He is calm between the whistles as he skates side to side outside his net. .  He is composed. Like he knows he is going to be good.

I have always felt he has something special.  It take  goalies a while to develop and I expect  this year will have ups and downs. But I think he is on his way and will become a true number one for us .  Further, because he is coming up with the core of young guys, he will feel a part of this - which  will help him become one of the best goalies in the league in the next few years. 

Just my two cents. But I would bet on it.

21 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

OP, it depends which point in time you're referring to.

Is he one now?  Probably not (without further proof he's a 28-35 for me for now, highest probably 20).  Is there hope he can quickly scale the ranks?  For sure. 
Then again, did we ever consider Cory Schneider a likely #1?  Undoubtedly.  Is there a chance TD's career goes in that direction?  Again without a doubt.

Is there a chance that he and Holtby become what Greiss and Varlamov were last year (both capable but neither distinguishes themselves as a true #1)? 
- I don't think we can rule that out, though in that case not having a "true" number 1, at least right away, might not be a problem since they can platoon.

I just hope he doesn't pan out like a Cam Ward, in that they peaked too soon and then returned to just average starter status.

Did we ever consider Schneider a number #1?  Absolutely.   His stats were just as good or better then Luongo’s with the same team infront of him, which is why there was such a hellabooloo at that time.   Most “experts” considered him a top 5 goalie at the time, of course Luongo too - because they were.   Schneider went to a terrible NJ and delivered as a strong number one for many years .... thankfully Gillis made his one good pick in Horvat at the time - which is curiously one of the best trade results for a goalie ever - well of course aside from Dryden - who of course went ahead and spoiled Boston’s plans for the better part of a decade (although he’d yet to play a game at the time so not comparing apples to apples).   I love your enthusiasm...TD does have the potential to do make a difference just like Schieds did for us.   And id even dare to say become a top 2-3 all-time Canuck goalie. 

Edit:  If he is a Cam Ward he’d be a top 2-3 goalie for us BTW.   He won a cup, and after was a regular 30/40 win guy for quite some time.   Better then anyone in our history except Luongo and on par with Captain Kirk. 

Edited by IBatch

On 12/26/2020 at 9:53 PM, -AJ- said:

I think the team will struggle and will either finish just outside at 5th or barely make the show at 4th in the North division. I expect Demko and Holtby to be a decent tandem, but I feel as though our defensive depth will be our kryptonite. Outside of our top four, we sorely lack experience and depth and when inevitable injuries hit, we could be decimated defensively.

Actually if Holtby returns to Vez form, which I don't see why he won't, and Demko has found his A game and continues like that, we could have the best tandem in the entire league...

On D? no depth? what? we have more depth D than we've ever had, they just need a chance to shine and they will and it's not like we couldn't make a trade if need be but I doubt that will be needed at all, any other year I'd agree with that in D but especially now AND I don't care what the media says, our D is upgraded, not down graded. 

Typical media bullshyte though, same as TJ Miller was a bad signing.

How so? sadly Tanev is older and we can't count on an aging beat up D man (not his fault he's given us his best all the way along)

Stech is a middling Dman with little upside rather than being average, Rafferty and Joulevi bring a lot more than that and will prove that we have zero to worry about, both has a lot more offensive upside which will come in handy. I'm sooooo not concerned with our D anymore like I used to be too.. we got this!

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2

I think he'll be forced into it, especially if Holtby is still rubbish and gets exposed. To be honest, it's nice to have Holbty as a backup but I think Demko is going to steal the job and run with it around the middle of this season. If we make the playoffs, Demko is starting for us.

Looking at the condensed schedule for this season it is apparent that BOTH goalies are going to have to play their part during the regular season.

IMO the Canucks tandem (compared to other team's tandems) is the best in the North. If any of WPG, TOR, MTL, OTT lose their starter to injury then they are going to tank big time.

Once we get to the playoffs, that is when we need to settle on a #1 goalie. I have confidence that by then Demko will be our "go to" guy and he will perform at #1 goalie level. The guy is clutch!

On 1/5/2021 at 12:32 PM, BigTramFan said:

Looking at the condensed schedule for this season it is apparent that BOTH goalies are going to have to play their part during the regular season.

IMO the Canucks tandem (compared to other team's tandems) is the best in the North. If any of WPG, TOR, MTL, OTT lose their starter to injury then they are going to tank big time.

Once we get to the playoffs, that is when we need to settle on a #1 goalie. I have confidence that by then Demko will be our "go to" guy and he will perform at #1 goalie level. The guy is clutch!

MTL picked up Jake Allen, Allen was a good back up for St. Louis last season. Winnipeg is toasts if they lose Hellybuck with that D.

• 3 weeks later...

I still believe this is the biggest question for this team How good is Demko is he a #1 Goalie 

I know these last 2 games are against Ott so it still remains an unanswered question but damn he looked good 

And I still stand by what I said about Holtby he is not the same goalie from years past

On 1/27/2021 at 7:55 PM, Arrow 1983 said:

I still believe this is the biggest question for this team How good is Demko is he a #1 Goalie 

I know these last 2 games are against Ott so it still remains an unanswered question but damn he looked good 

And I still stand by what I said about Holtby he is not the same goalie from years past

I think Demko can become an elite goaltender in this league. I'm no expert, but he's been trending well and trending in the right direction. The club obviously sees him as number 1 goalie potential if they had let Markström walk and kept Demko. 

7 hours ago, Bertorama said:

Would like to see Demko as the starter. Holtby backup. Demko with more games could be a top ten goaltender. 

Yah. I think Demko's going to get a string of games (minus the back to backs - those, I think will belong to Holtby). He played well against Ottawa. Granted, it's the Sens, and they're terrible. I'm curious to see if he can perform as well against Winnipeg and Toronto as he has against the Sens. If he can, we might have something here with Demko.