The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson's Big Roll this season

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

I like your optimism.  

He wasn't any faster in BOS, but playing with Spooner etc. he was effective because he had linemates that complimented him.  If Gaudette can keep improving his game and add another quick tenacious winger on that line-maybe they can get some chemistry going.  Although Louie hasnt produced at all, he does have a knack for generating chances around the net.

I'll get shredded too I'm sure, and odds are I'm being wayyy too optimistic but in a shortened season with the right guys in a third line role who knows.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ImConfused said:

spacer.png

we're going to need more of that.

he hasn't given us a good year yet so it's not to far fetched that he could have his best year this year.

He could, or he could not.  I'm not a betting man but...

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I believe Loui Eriksson could have the biggest season he has had with the Canucks so far.

I know you guys are laughing at me but please stop long enough for you to read my reasoning behind it, then continue if you must

1) he hasn't given us a good year yet so it's not to far fetched that he could have his best year this year

2) I'm not talking about point wise but as I mentioned in my first point he hasn't given us much so it could be. His best year was 81games 11g 18A 29pts in 2018-19. In 2017-18 he played 50 games and had 10g 13A and 23pts. Less games and almost same amount of points. The Rest factor that's what I'm going to call it, might work out for him in many ways, first there is no preseason games so everyone will be rusty and slower well maybe not the elite players but everyone else (Eriksson's game does not rely on speed). Second, there is only 56 games this season yes there is a lot of back to back games but this might be beneficial for Loui the second game slows down (Eriksson's game does not rely on speed) . Furthermore, the Canucks this season actually got a decent schedule this season and there will be less travel all together because of the MLB like schedule.

3) As I said in point 2 I'm not talking point wise for best season, I'm referring to his defensive game. The lose of Tanev means we lost our best defensive defenseman and unless Benning acquires a Tanev type of guy the Canucks are going to give up more shots. Some might say what about Schmidt I respond  he is not Tanev and Tanev is no Schmidt meaning they are different type of players. Schmidt is not going to fill that defensive defenseman roll like Tanev. Schmidt will bring more offence and as most off us knows offence comes at the price of defense. In Tanev's case to much defense comes at the price of offense. So what does this have to do with Loui. Eriksson fits into a team minded defensive structure. I am expecting to see a lot of team defense in Greens coaching method this season. WHY? you might ask. For 2 reasons, first they don't have Tanev and second that is what made them so successful in the playoffs, where they had a tight schedule against the same team every night and when teams get tired they make mistakes. Play a good defensive game means you wear a team down and you jump on your chances. Side note, it is also why Demko was so successful and once a coach finds a way that works for his team they don't usually change that method until it fails and usually way to late. (How many times have you screamed at the tv for the coach to change his PP or put new faces on the PP when it goes on a drought). 

That is my reasoning for Eriksson to have is best season with the Canucks so far. Commence your laughing  

"he hasn't given us a good year yet so it's not to far fetched that he could have his best year this year"

You do realize that this is what the most optimistic fans think every pre-season.  Some people also believe that wearing a mask during a global pandemic is communism. 

If Eriksson was trending up in some kind of second wind he sure didn't show it in his last games he played. He was probably worse in the playoffs than the regular season. 

It is quite the astounding feat to be able to squeak through the playoffs without a single point......on the same line as Bo who noched a career high 10 goals and 2 assists. 

Mercifully Taffoli recovered from injury after the first game against Vegas and LE was sent immediately to the press box for the rest of the playoffs.

And no, he's not some defensive guru.  He's not terrible defensively. He holds his own. But nothing to write home to Sweden about.

Here are his last 5 games stats.  I hope they are the last 5 games he will ever play for us. 

Last 5 games
Opponent Date G A P +/- PIM PPG SHG S Shifts TOI
VGK AUG 23 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 19 14:25
STL AUG 21 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 24 15:44
STL AUG 19 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 27 16:36
STL AUG 17 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 12 08:02
STL AUG 16 0 0 0 -1 2 0 0 3 36 19:13

Edited by kilgore

giphy.gif

If you're talking point wise, then it likely won't be a "good year" (which goes against everything I'm arguing in the Podz threads...there's a difference for me).

Look, I appreciate the little things Loui does and am not one to overlook them.  But he was expected TO put points on the board and that matters.  I also don't generally throw contracts into the performance discussion....but it's a little glaring.  He didn't live up to his and it's a bit of an anchor.  Not his fault, but doesn't mean it isn't concerning.

I don't disagree with everything you've said...there are good points to be made about him covering defensively.  But that's settling to some degree.

I tend to bet long shots and my favourite saying is "they're due to come in".  But there's a big payoff when they do, not when they don't.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

giphy.gif

If you're talking point wise, then it likely won't be a "good year" (which goes against everything I'm arguing in the Podz threads...there's a difference for me).

Look, I appreciate the little things Loui does and am not one to overlook them.  But he was expected TO put points on the board and that matters.  I also don't generally throw contracts into the performance discussion....but it's a little glaring.  He didn't live up to his and it's a bit of an anchor.  Not his fault, but doesn't mean it isn't concerning.

I don't disagree with everything you've said...there are good points to be made about him covering defensively.  But that's settling to some degree.

I tend to bet long shots and my favourite saying is "they're due to come in".  But there's a big payoff when they do, not when they don't.

@debluvscanucks this is for the fanbase as a whole, not singling you out. What you said stood out to me as where things are really wrong with the expectations of Loui.

I think a more fair way to put it is, Loui was expected to resurrect the Sedins declining numbers when he was signed.. Based on international chemistry along with coming off a fresh 30g season. Because that is what the fans were expecting, the way it was portrayed to the fans when they talked about his international hockey chemistry with the Sedins, we all thought this was going to be a dominant line like the old days of the Sedins.

This sigining was a no-brainer at the time it was signed. 30g scorer to play on the top line with the Sedins were all 3 players stats were expected to skyrocket. 6 mil would have looked like an absolute steal if we managed 4 more years out of the Sedins, a couple years of making the post-season and the Sedins producing 65-75points with Eriksson at their side, as opposed to 2 seasons and Eriksson missing 30% of the first 2 seasons with injuries.

After 2 seasons the Sedins retired, leaving Eriksson (finally healthy) without his linemates and the organization entering a rebuild (this is where overpayment to additional players came in)

Vancouver is a very intense market as is every Canadian market. Our owners want to be competitive to keep fans interested, they want playoffs, but we also needed to rebuild. Benning has 2 agenda’s. 1) make games competitive for the fans to remain interested and not lose out on viewership and 2) REBUILD FROM THE GROUND UP. How else do rebuild and try to remain competitive each night? By acquiring serviceable veterans as place holders. How do you attracr middle to bottom of the pack players who all were coming off near career years, to sign with a team that is 1) has no future prospects up and coming and 2) is in the bottom 5 each year and is now entering a rebuild? By overpaying for NHL veterans who have 300+ games of experience that will help mitigate the damage each game by making it harder for opposition to score, keeping it closer and more competitive. They will also serve as place holders in order for youth to develop without being rushed with the exception of some players who CAN make the jump (Petey, Boeser, Hughes) this allowed us to send Virtanen back down to the minors to develop. 18g 18a a few years later is a far cry from his rookie season of 7g 6a. What type of production or use would we have got from Virtanen if we didnt send him back down to the minors for a season? Guys like Sutter, Dorsett, Beagle, Roussel etc are place holders who are just keeping a spot warm for the next young gun thats graduated from the minors through development, rather than being slapped into the lineup like a bandaid, to fix the scoring problems. You can look back at all of Bennings signings, a large majority of them had near career years, even Willie Desjardins was the smartest choice when you look at what he had just accomplished 2 years in a row as the top team in the AHL, lost in the first round the first year and then went on to win the Championships the following. Benning has selected the “BPA” in terms of organizational needs, unfortunately it doesnt always pan out.

We have just built our organization from the foundation up. Why start mortgaging the future for “the now” we aren’t in a win now mode and we shouldnt be selling off old parts with shiny toys attached to it, just to get it off our lawn. Hold tight and wait patiently. No cap retention to curse at, no loss of a prospect who may be on the verge of emerging into a quality player.

On 12/27/2020 at 7:55 PM, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

He’s 35, going on 36. I doubt he’s gonna breakout, more likely to decline even more. 

I think this is the year where Eriksson finally meets expectations. With that I mean when he signed that 6 year contract many anticipated that his production will drop by the 4th year of the contract. So we are finally on course on what we expected Eriksson should be. ::D

Have to keep him healthy at season's end. Shouldn't be too hard, as this periphery-princess has never thrown a hit, or gotten his nose dirty.

Opponents know how to play Eriksson perfectly..they NEVER hit him hard. That way, he's always a healthy(non-LTIR) albatross that Van must suffer with! Them dirty scoundrels.

Anywho..keep this schmoe healthy(in pressbox?) as the campaign winds down..then, BUY HIS A$$ OUT!!!