The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you think canuck scouts now

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

Passed on Alex Newhook and he played in your backyard....can the scouts or or hockey people not see talent character and skill..they need to change the way these players are chosen...ok i understand they have new head scout boss but it took way too long to figure things out....bad drafting...

• Haha 3
  • Wat 11
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Dont even know who Newhook is until this post. Looks pretty promising though. Damn Colorado, damn Joe Sakic, hes setting up Colorado to be competitive for at least the next 5 years with their current team and huge pool of prospects. 

Can you imagine a Colorado vs Ottawa cup finals this summer lol

Too good

(Or Canucks vs. Leafs - Canucks win in double OT of game 4)

1 hour ago, ImConfused said:

Oh hey on that note above, which divisions are in the Eastern conference and which are in the West for the upcoming season?

Is it Northern/Western in the West and Central/Eastern in the east?

Confusing..

Yeah, I was wondering that just today. I have to assume for round 3, they'll just completely re-seed all four remaining teams (the divisional winners).

4 hours ago, ImConfused said:

Oh hey on that note above, which divisions are in the Eastern conference and which are in the West for the upcoming season?

Is it Northern/Western in the West and Central/Eastern in the east?

Confusing..

No East and West conference this season.  They will rank all 4 divisional winners by point percentage and then go 1vs4 and 2vs3.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What I noticed during the WJC so far is the depth of talent in some orgs. Canucks don't seem to have a lot in the under 20. The Toffoli deal cost a lot for a player who was not resigned. 

The only teams with 5+ are LA, Leafs, and Detroit. Theoretically, we have (4); Podkolzin, Costmor, Jurmo (last min cut), Hogland (Age missed by days). Not too shabby

Edited by StiffStick33
  • Cheers 1

JB has drafted his core now he needs to pucker up make the right moves and squeeze his pinkster. He needs to add one more good D man this year until the kids can prove there worth. (not much left as far as D goes) not signing Toffoli  was a huge mistake, JV may fill in and prove his worth . Podkolzin looks like he can play both ends of the ice but thats next year country. Adding another forward probably not in the cards unless he moves cap. Moving cap costs assets or picks and he said he done with that. So I think he is done unless he signs someone, a D for cheap .  

Newhook will be good that’s for sure. Podkolzin will be a leader in any dressing room. 

Id rather have a leader or someone who will be good. You need leadership to win championships.

1v1 Podkolzin will outwork Newhook every time. His DNA is build to compete until the end.

• Cheers 2

Benning thinks he's drafted a core already.  That's why he spent draft picks in last years draft for players to support the young club.  Mainly Miller but he also went after Toffoli because, given the injury situation at the trade deadline, he felt it was that important to have the support to get the young core playoff experience.  Remember the quote of Benning.....something like.....a year without playoffs is like a black hole [in the experience curve / development of the team]..... 

He had to know that keeping Toffoli was going to be tough and when the time came, he couldn't move the cap to do it.

What types of players or positions do they target in the draft moving forward?  I have to say skating, skill but grit and size too.  Centre's, defense.