The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Marian Gaborik, Anders Nilsson to Lightning for Braydon Coburn, Cedric Paquette, 2022 2nd-round pick

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Senators trade Marian Gaborik, Anders Nilsson to Lightning for Braydon Coburn, Cedric Paquette, 2022 2nd-round pick
1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Edmonton, Calgary, and Toronto are all dreadful.

As much as I hate all 3 of them, I disagree that they are dreadful.

Calgary upgraded their biggest weakness: goaltending. If Markstrom plays the way he does when he was with us last season, he can singlehandedly steal Calgary enough points that could tilt them towards making the playoffs. Monahan and Gaudreau are big playoff busts, but they can put up points in the regular season. Tkacuk and Lindholm are also very good point producers. They got good scoring depth in Dube, Mangiapane, Backlund etc. Like it or not, they have a very good blueline made up of Giordano, Hanifin, Tanev, Valimaki, Anderson. This line up is good enough to carry them in the regular season. Their biggest question is the playoffs and I don't think Markstrom is enough to help them get over the hump. They can only get over the hump if Gaudreau and Monahan really starts to produce like they are suppose to or else they won't make it far in the playoffs.

Toronto: they are similar to Calgary, they are a good regular season team. Tavares, Matthews, Marner and Nylander can score in the regular season. They also improved their blueline adding TJ Brodie. They didn't lose anyone significant in their forward group from last season. I also like how they added more experience, character and depth in Joe Thornton and Wayne Simmonds signings. This is a make or break year for Toronto. They know it as it is now or never for them to win a playoff series. In a regular season schedule, this team should make the playoffs.

Edmonton improved significantly in their forward depth. Having Yamamoto full time, bringing back Poolparty and bringing in guys like Turris and Kahun on capfriendly contracts has improved their team's forward depth signifcantly. Although, they would be the weakest among the 3 teams you mentioned as I believe they downgraded in their defense without Kelfbom for a full season and replaced him with Barrie. They are a team that is going to score a lot of goals but also going to get scored on a lot. Their goaltending remain the same as last season which could be a problem. Not sure if they crack the top 4 in the Canadian divison, but I would still have Edmonton ahead of 5 teams in the West division: Minnestota, Arizona, and the California teams. The West Division is the joke of the bunch. One of these 5 teams are going to make the playoffs instead of one of the better teams from the East Division and Canadian Division is just criminal.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Toronto and Edmonton combined can barely ice 6 NHL defensemen.

Neither can we. Hughes, Edler, Schmidt, Myers then.... Benn, Rafferty, juolevi, Chatfield, Brisbois?

Thatcher is unproven and it's not like our D corps is any better.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 4

7 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

They will all be better than Vancouver imo... save maybe Calgary.

I’m confused. Have the Laffs, or Soilers done 

anything significant to improve their rosters in the offseason? Or were both of those teams just unlucky to lose in the first round last year.?

on the other hand, Canucks are gambling that Demko will be ready to take on a heavier load in goal, and/or Holtby benefits from a change of scenery and ian Clark can work his magic.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

I’m confused. Have the Laffs, or Soilers done 

anything significant to improve their rosters in the offseason? Or were both of those teams just unlucky to lose in the first round last year.?

on the other hand, Canucks are gambling that Demko will be ready to take on a heavier load in goal, and/or Holtby benefits from a change of scenery and ian Clark can work his magic.

Leafs upgraded their blueline replacing Barrie with Brodie. Depth signings and bringing in players like Thornton and Simmonds gives them the character and experience that core is lacking. Not siginficant improvements, but I would say the right improvements that they need. They may be a bad playoff team, but they are a good enough regular season team that could get them to the playoffs.

Oilers added much more forward depth. Last year it was McDavid or Draisaitl and then no body else can really step up. This year they will have Yammamoto for a full season. They also added Turris and Kahun on team friendly 1 year deal. They will have much better scoring depth. Granted, their defense downgraded and their goaltending remain the same (which is actually a downgrade given that both of their goalies are over 30 and it is a year older). They will be an interesting one to see if they can crack the top 4.

2 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Leafs upgraded their blueline replacing Barrie with Brodie. Depth signings and bringing in players like Thornton and Simmonds gives them the character and experience that core is lacking. Not siginficant improvements, but I would say the right improvements that they need. They may be a bad playoff team, but they are a good enough regular season team that could get them to the playoffs.

Oilers added much more forward depth. Last year it was McDavid or Draisaitl and then no body else can really step up. This year they will have Yammamoto for a full season. They also added Turris and Kahun on team friendly 1 year deal. They will have much better scoring depth. Granted, their defense downgraded and their goaltending remain the same (which is actually a downgrade given that both of their goalies are over 30 and it is a year older). They will be an interesting one to see if they can crack the top 4.

Turris is garbage at this point though and Edmonton still has a weak defence even weaker with no Klefbom for the year and mediocre at best goaltending. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So much talk that TBay had to shed serious talent.

In the end, we wound up nabbing their best asset they lose.

Shows you just how deep that team was.  Bolts lose a first line forward (who can play center or wing) to us and they STILL win the cup the first season without him.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1