The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Marian Gaborik, Anders Nilsson to Lightning for Braydon Coburn, Cedric Paquette, 2022 2nd-round pick

This is really the type of deal we should have been making back when we had cap space, vs trading away picks and signing overpriced forwards. Paquette is a stronger defensive player/penalty killer than Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson while being younger and making less. Coburn has regressed but still capable of filling a bottom pairing role and at a decent price (1.7M). Ottawa gave up players that cost them money for sitting on LTIR (not much but it is still something) for a guy with some positive value and a 2nd round pick. 

As for the team getting better or worse, I think we are more or less the same with a major downgrade in goaltending. Markstrom was an absolute beast for us - when he got injured late in the season the team was crashing out of a playoff spot with Demko in net - even after acquiring Toffoli. Demko's playoff performance was excellent but he is such a coin flip for which version shows up next year. 

Holtby has had three down years in a row - although he did play well in the cup run. I am not writing him off - he was an elite level player and can still bounce back but based on his performance last season odds are he is will likely struggle. 

Stecher and Leivo are underrated lossed but at the same time weren't a huge part of the team. Schmidt is a massive upgrade on Tanev so our top 4 D looks much better going into next season. Not much of a stretch thinking a Rafferty or Juolevi can perform at or near the level of Stecher - although he was statistically our best penalty killer and his underlying numbers were strong (despite visual gaffs). Leivo was injured a lot of the year and is a very average player in all aspects - which isn't a bad thing. For 1.5M or less Leivo is an extremely valuable player for a team tight against the cap - huge bargain for Calgary.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

21 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

@Gollumpus Well, according to me us more so than the other teams. I can't say I speak for those people though.

I'm not seeing things as good, or bad atm, but I do see that there has been, and will be change. I do agree that things will be different, and significantly different in a couple of areas where the team has been fairly stable.. whether or not that may be viewed as a good thing or a bad thing. 

Goal could be not as good as last season, unless Demko does play as well as it is hoped, and Holtby provides the calm veteran presence if/when needed. Or, it's all gonna' go to hell. Oh well, wait until next year.

There have been departures on defense, but the addition(s) shouldn't be overlooked or down played.

Forward is perhaps where the team is the most stable, and even then there is potential for success or failure, and change.

Meh, I have to go stir down a stew. Priorities.

regards,  G.

5 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I'm not seeing things as good, or bad atm, but I do see that there has been, and will be change. I do agree that things will be different, and significantly different in a couple of areas where the team has been fairly stable.. whether or not that may be viewed as a good thing or a bad thing. 

Goal could be not as good as last season, unless Demko does play as well as it is hoped, and Holtby provides the calm veteran presence if/when needed. Or, it's all gonna' go to hell. Oh well, wait until next year.

There have been departures on defense, but the addition(s) shouldn't be overlooked or down played.

Forward is perhaps where the team is the most stable, and even then there is potential for success or failure, and change.

Meh, I have to go stir down a stew. Priorities.

regards,  G.

That's my point. This is all in regards to next year. Uncertainty isn't good or bad, it is unpredictable. 

Given the fact that our losses created big question marks in whether or not we have stability in certain areas makes this upcoming season a harder one to predict for us. We already had issues to begin with(like having to rely on good goaltending too much). Then to consider that the other Canadian teams haven't had as big of losses as us and/or even addressed some issues...

It overall gives me a glass half-empty outlook about whether or not we can compete for a playoff spot this year. If we do play well this year then it would mean so much more given the losses we've had and the youth we've had to incorporate.

Either way despite all these uncertainties in regards to this season what is certain is the fact that, regardless of however this season goes, we're gonna continue to trend upwards. Might take a step backwards and go through growing pains but it will pay off in the end.

Overall I am prepared for anything. I don't have any expectations for this years squad.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

A good deal in isolation for the Sens imo - to get a 2nd and a serviceable hard minutes depth center.

Combined with the Stepan deal - maybe not so much - given that 2nd effectively becomes a trade down.

Hard to imagine they couldn't have done 'better' in alternatively eating more cap from Tampa - would they have had to give up a 2nd to get a guy like Gourde (?) added to a deal like this - whose a good faceoff guy, capable penalty killer, younger and less of a cap hit than Stepan (although more term remaining) - and a relative redundancy in Tampa....

On 12/30/2020 at 2:41 PM, oldnews said:

A good deal in isolation for the Sens imo - to get a 2nd and a serviceable hard minutes depth center.

Combined with the Stepan deal - maybe not so much - given that 2nd effectively becomes a trade down.

Hard to imagine they couldn't have done 'better' in alternatively eating more cap from Tampa - would they have had to give up a 2nd to get a guy like Gourde (?) added to a deal like this - whose a good faceoff guy, capable penalty killer, younger and less of a cap hit than Stepan (although more term remaining) - and a relative redundancy in Tampa....

I don't think Tampa wanted to get rid of Gourde, the coach praises him regularly as a "swiss army knife". I don't think they wanted to get rid of a guy who produces and can play in all situation despite cap troubles.

Looking at the future core of: Kuch, Point, Hedman, Circelli, Vasy. They eventually will get themselves in future cap troubles but they'll have a shot at another cup run this season.

Tampa gets a lot of cap space thanks to Gaborik and Nilsson, and the Sens cheapo owner saves some money in dead cap. A sort of win-win.

8 hours ago, warrchief said:

I don't think Tampa wanted to get rid of Gourde, the coach praises him regularly as a "swiss army knife". I don't think they wanted to get rid of a guy who produces and can play in all situation despite cap troubles.

Looking at the future core of: Kuch, Point, Hedman, Circelli, Vasy. They eventually will get themselves in future cap troubles but they'll have a shot at another cup run this season.

Tampa gets a lot of cap space thanks to Gaborik and Nilsson, and the Sens cheapo owner saves some money in dead cap. A sort of win-win.

Gaborik and Nilsson don’t create cap space - it’s moving Paquette and Coburn that does.  LTIR limits flexibility and makes it challenging for teams to operate up to the cap.  It’s not an advantage.  Tampa has to go in LTIR with Kucherov but Ottawa now gets to avoid that issue.  

22 hours ago, warrchief said:

Wanting to get rid of Gourde - maybe not - yes, he's a good, versatile player - but needing to move cap...not much choice there.  And no one was interested in a declining Johnson (with a lot of term and cap remaining).  Beyond him - it's the depth guys they moved - but was that enough?  I'm doubtful.  Most folks here were under the impression that they'd have to move at least one of Johnson, Gourde, Killorn, Palat....if not two of them - maybe that won't turn out to be the case, but aside from Johnson, those other three are probably their options and are relatively moveable (as opposed to Johnson - who is a significant cap dump). 

They probably did not 'want' to move Miller either - but they have a surplus of veteran middle six forwards....I won't be surprised at all if they move another contract.

They did not gain much cap in moving Paquette and Coburn....

Edited by oldnews