The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Marian Gaborik, Anders Nilsson to Lightning for Braydon Coburn, Cedric Paquette, 2022 2nd-round pick

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Turris is garbage at this point though and Edmonton still has a weak defence even weaker with no Klefbom for the year and mediocre at best goaltending. 

Turris still put up 31 points in 62 games last season, at exactly 0.5 ppg. He only sign for $1.65 million. The Oilers had no threat to score outside of McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH last season. They had their top guys and then their bottom 6 or depth scoring is basically non-existent. They don't need Turris to be his 70+ point, they only need him to score about 0.5 ppg on the 3rd line and that is good enough. I rather have Turris at $1.65 million than any of Sutter, Beagle or Roussel at their current cap hit.

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Lol is Benning asleep? Could he not have traded Erikkson to the send? Don’t worry we still have our 18 million dollars forth line

Nilsson is going on LITR immediately so insurance covers his actual cash outlay.  That’s why he had more “value” than LE at this particular time.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

In the postseason is where you see teams with poor to awful D hit the exits pretty early.

Canucks were an exception with our goalies covering up glaring defensive issues throughout the year and in the playoffs. 

We probably shouldn’t expect that this year with Marky gone and we’ve also gotten more inexperienced with our D-core.

Overall there’s a lot more question marks for the Canucks than most Canadian teams. 

2 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Turris still put up 31 points in 62 games last season, at exactly 0.5 ppg. He only sign for $1.65 million. The Oilers had no threat to score outside of McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH last season. They had their top guys and then their bottom 6 or depth scoring is basically non-existent. They don't need Turris to be his 70+ point, they only need him to score about 0.5 ppg on the 3rd line and that is good enough. I rather have Turris at $1.65 million than any of Sutter, Beagle or Roussel at their current cap hit.

Turris isn't a two way player and he signed that deal post pandemic/flat cap. Not exactly a fair comparison. And Sutter/Beagle>>Turris imo Roussel maybe but I prefer 2 way players in my bottom six 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, PistolPete13 said:

Is an aging Joe Thornton and Wayne Simmons really going to move the needle any more than an aging Patrick Marleau and Jason Spezza? The centre of the universe may want to believe that. I’m not as convinced. :)

Not really. But like I said, they could still be a bust team when the games become playoff games, but they are good enogh team in the regular season. These guys are just players that will help guide them in the playoffs in the event if they get there.

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

Not really. But like I said, they could still be a bust team when the games become playoff games, but they are good enogh team in the regular season. These guys are just players that will help guide them in the playoffs in the event if they get there.

Signing slow vets in a speed dominated league is not a formula for success and even with Brodie that defence is mediocre at best abysmal at worst. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Turris isn't a two way player and he signed that deal post pandemic/flat cap. Not exactly a fair comparison. And Sutter/Beagle>>Turris imo Roussel maybe but I prefer 2 way players in my bottom six 

It is unfortunate we are stuck with Sutter, Beagle, Roussel contracts and due to the pandemic those contract look even worse than they actually are. Even pre-pandemic, I would say Sutter, Beagle and Roussel are atleast a million overpaid and they were all signed for atleast a year or two too long.

Sutter/Beagle > Turris if he were making his $6 million contract with Nashville. However, as of right now, Turris is both the better player and on a better contract.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Signing slow vets in a speed dominated league is not a formula for success and even with Brodie that defence is mediocre at best abysmal at worst. 

I have been trying to argue all along that their team is good enough in the regular season, right now their goal is to atleast win a round. In a best of 7 series, I take the Canucks over the Leafs. However, in a regular season schedule, I would still have the Leafs ahead of the Canucks in the standings. 

5 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

You could be right. IMO Toronto will probably benefit more from not having to play the Bruins in the early rounds of the playoffs. Could be a game changer for them. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I have been trying to argue all along that their team is good enough in the regular season, right now their goal is to atleast win a round. In a best of 7 series, I take the Canucks over the Leafs. However, in a regular season schedule, I would still have the Leafs ahead of the Canucks in the standings. 

One injury to that defence is enough to cripple them imo and the North will be a tough division this year 

20 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Canucks were an exception with our goalies covering up glaring defensive issues throughout the year and in the playoffs. 

We probably shouldn’t expect that this year with Marky gone and we’ve also gotten more inexperienced with our D-core.

Overall there’s a lot more question marks for the Canucks than most Canadian teams. 

Sometimes a thought pops into my head that says:

The Canucks should sell what they can to who they can and be ready for following season.

Play the youth and trade of the rest, this is unlikely to be a good season anyway..

I try to fight that thought, but sometimes I wonder.

• Cheers 3

Wow the cap weaponizing finally happened.  To think that they could ship out an injured Nilsson and Gaborik and help TB gain so much cap space, while they gain Paquette (capable bottom 6 wrecking ball with speed) and Coburn (bottom pair vet) AND a 2nd, they actually could be a pretty solid team.

Stutzle, Dadonov, Stepan, Murray and the kids coming up could mean the accumulation of a capable critical mass and in a hurry too.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

Senators are not a push over next season. At this point, there is no bad team in the Canadian division. Hot take: Canadian division will be the toughest division among all 4 realign divisions.

More ankles for petey to break. 

Edited by Rush17
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I’m confused. Have the Laffs, or Soilers done 

anything significant to improve their rosters in the offseason? Or were both of those teams just unlucky to lose in the first round last year.?

on the other hand, Canucks are gambling that Demko will be ready to take on a heavier load in goal, and/or Holtby benefits from a change of scenery and ian Clark can work his magic.

Have the Canucks? We've lost Tanev, Markstrom and Stecher. Do you think the Canucks will place higher than the Flames, Oilers and Leafs?

34 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You realize defence is a part of hockey right? 

Yes. i also realize that our 2nd best defender, Edler, is another year past 30 and we lost our best defender in Tanev... To Calgary. Neither of the Leafs or Oilers have a good dcorps... but let's not kid ourselves in thinking that the Canucks do.