The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Marian Gaborik, Anders Nilsson to Lightning for Braydon Coburn, Cedric Paquette, 2022 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Might be a blessing in disguise. Luke Hughes?

While I agree that stecher is replaceable by somebody, Juolevi's 6 minutes of ice time did not out shine Stecher's playoffs. Especially Stecher's play against St. Louis.

I'll disagree, as I thought Stecher was absolutely brutal against a robust forecheck.  He tried his best but he isn't built for that type of hockey.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Have the Canucks? We've lost Tanev, Markstrom and Stecher. Do you think the Canucks will place higher than the Flames, Oilers and Leafs?

Yes. i also realize that our 2nd best defender, Edler, is another year past 30 and we lost our best defender in Tanev... To Calgary. Neither of the Leafs or Oilers have a good dcorps... but let's not kid ourselves in thinking that the Canucks do.

It's hard to say what the outcome will be.  I would prefer to see the Canucks in the Pacific division (I was hoping that Dr. Henry would say no to nhl hockey in BC and that the Nucks would go south.

The Canadian division is gradually becoming a decent one, and I think the standings will be tight.

As far as Tanev is concerned, I would say that Schmidt is a clear upgrade and I think there is a good chance they pick up Harmonic (which would be an upgrade on Stech, but he may also be on Cal radar).  Also, injuries have always been the decline of Tanev's rating as a dman.  His health will entirely depend on deployment, as we saw from the results of his lighter duties during the playoffs.  At 37yrs Giordano is getting slow and was quite awful in the playoffs.

I preferred the Canuck top 6 over the Flames, but losing TT may even things out, although I like the Canuck players' speed and commitment more. I like the Canuck bottom 6 more and their depth as well over the Flames.

Marks comes up the winner in goal tending, but Holtby could easily have a comeback season as he is not far off from seasons of being a very good goalie.  Demko and Rittich  seem to be a wash, with a slight edge to Rittich due to experience.

Every one of the Cdn teams have their weaknesses, and it will be important to get ahead early on.  The Canucks had the most success in the playoffs, which may have a huge effect on their confidence.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You underrate some of the other teams like the Habs.

They've made improvements to their forwards, D and goaltending duo. Their most important players(the youngsters) are only gonna get better too. They also bringing in another touted youngster in Romanov.

There's also the solid potential of McDavid/Draisaitl going on a dominant stretch which would bode well for the Oilers in a shortened season.

I still see the Habs as an average team. Their prospects are still question marks and this team has a knack for losing for no reason or underperforming in the last couple of years. Oilers greatest strength is also their greatest weakness, if one of them goes down that's a big blow to them. I still see this division as being either the second worst or the worst division in contention with the Central. I will say this is a much grittier division to play in, but I do not see a team to beat in this division.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

If Eriksson is so awful that you as a fan whine about his contract this much don't you think NHL GM’s would be hesitant to acquire him for anything regardless of their cap situation?

At this point Louie would be more valuable to us if he broke his leg. :lol:

• Haha 1

Maybe its just me and I cant let it go, but the league penalising the Canucks for the Luongo contract ( which was legal at the time! ) because its not good for the league but Toronto and now Tampa buying 'dead men" contracts like Gaboriks is ok????

I think it stinks! It just doesnt sit well with me.

• Vintage 1

As for the Sens, this is a move Melnyk probably loves. Moves money he'd have to pay Gaborik not to play, along with Nilsson who probably won't be in the lineup in the foreseeable future for two players who can step into the lineup and earn their pay. Plus a second.

Works well for both teams, Tampa's biggest need was space and they've managed to retain most of their depth. 

2 hours ago, Jam126 said:

I disagree, I know this is a hot take but the Canadian division will be in contention to be the worst division out of all four. The top teams in the Canadian division are all middle of the pack in the league. Canucks, Leafs and Flames will probably be in the top 3 and I don't see any really good teams in that bunch that I would compare with a team like the Lightning, Bruins, or Avalanche. Unfortunately, for the Canucks, they have a terrible record against Canadian teams so it will be tough for them, but everything is tough for them so there is nothing new under the sun. 

They are middle of the pack as of last season, but almost every team improved this off-season. IMO, if they all play in their regular divisions, I can see 6 Canadian teams making the playoffs. Right now we can only have 4.

The Sens have quietly gone about this offseason picking up some nice adds, filling out their roster with veterans to help the youngins along. If Murray can stay healthy, they could be a dark horse to finish top 4 in the "North."

John Snow GIFs | Tenor

The above will be the expression of Canuck nation, should Ottawa qualify for the playoffs and we do not.

• Vintage 1
4 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Senators are not a push over next season. At this point, there is no bad team in the Canadian division. Hot take: Canadian division will be the toughest division among all 4 realign divisions.

I think there are significantly better divisions.  

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Bringing in Schmidt puts Vancouver in the old Chicago territory of 2 x 2C + 2 x 1Ds. The stuff that wins Cups.

Combined with Cup-wining Holtby signing, Vancouver didn’t lose anything either.

Toffoli hurts but I’m sure the maturity of Hughes, Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Gaudette, Virtanen, Demko, and the continuing leadership from Miller, Pearson, Beagle, Myers, and Edler, will more than compensate for the loss of Toffoli.

The Vancouver Canucks will be a very difficult team to handle. 

Who are the 2x2Cs for Chicago? 

• Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I think there are significantly better divisions.  

Maybe the East Division is stronger, but I also think many overrate the East Division. Pittsburgh is likely to take a step back as Crosby and Malkin is getting older and older. The Bruins could be bad if the rumours of Marchand and Pastrnak missing parts of the season is true. Islanders will have trouble with cap this year and they already lost Devon Toews to cap casualty. They are likely going to take a slight step back. The core in Washington is a year older, they should still be good for the regular season and make the playoff. The Flyers look to be the best team in that division. Sabres could have a chance to snuck in with their recent moves but that has a lot to do with the aforemention teams taking a step back. NJD to me is the wildcard. It is either they breakout this year or they continue to stay in the basement.

You look at the Canadian team, many teams improved or atleast addressed their weaknesses this off-seaon. With Ottawa's recent acquisitions, I don't think we have a basement team to beat up on like the others.

4 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I have been trying to argue all along that their team is good enough in the regular season, right now their goal is to atleast win a round. In a best of 7 series, I take the Canucks over the Leafs. However, in a regular season schedule, I would still have the Leafs ahead of the Canucks in the standings. 

For some reason I think Mathew's is gonna rip it up too....

Tampa making a trade and using LTIR to the tune of $17,000,000 to become cap compliant.  Following in the footsteps of the Maple Laffs.  Not to mention they can sign players to cheap contracts because they have no state tax.  Why don’t we just give them the next 3 Stanley Cups, why bother even playing the games?  

But hey signing Luongo to a totally legal contract and then getting penalized for it to the tune of $3 million in dead cap space for 3 years is totally cool with the NHL.  This league is a total joke.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2