The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryan Callahan announces retirement

Rate this topic

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

As players hit their mid 30's, I wonder if the pandemic helps make the decision easier?  Where they once maybe would have squeezed out another year or two, it's now not worth the effort, risk and sacrifice?

Pandemic or not I think his body was just done. There's a lot of hard miles on there. Gotta respect the hell out of a guy who went undrafted his first time through and then went in the 4th round as a 19 year old. To eventually wear the C for the Rangers and wear his country's sweater, that's pretty remarkable. I don't think he'll have any regrets or "coulda, shoulda, woulda's" when he looks back on it all.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

As players hit their mid 30's, I wonder if the pandemic helps make the decision easier?  Where they once maybe would have squeezed out another year or two, it's now not worth the effort, risk and sacrifice?

This is an interesting take on a slow, ongoing trend in the NHL.  The league has definitely got faster and has also been getting younger.  I can only assume this pandemic will accelerate that process.  I think when you have three kids and are confined to your home, priorities can start shifting away from professional hockey.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Given how injuries impacted his last few years it's easy to forget just how good he was at his peak, damn.