The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals sign Zdeno Chara

Don't see how you can see this as anything but a steal for the caps. I can somehow see the bruins reasoning, but if they could have signed him one year at 800k to play on the third pairing or above, why didn't they? Seeems a bit strange

31 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Meh 

he’s a 43 year old bottom pairing D at this point.  Can’t blame the Bruins for cutting ties 

Didn't realize he was a FA. I would have wanted him to sign with Vancouver for a year but I guess travel restrictions between US and Canada might not have made that possible

5 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

That would unofficially make Patrice Bergeron the new captain of the Bruins. He’s already been the face of that team forever. Or they could give it to Pasta but Patrice has earned it. Anyways nice for Chara to join the great 8. 

I vote for Brad Marchand ;)

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Over 21 minutes/game this year - was 2nd on the Bruins.

And their lead penalty killer at over 3 minutes.

35.7% ozone starts was the lowest on their blueline.

2.0 on ice goals against at even strength per 60 - was outstanding for them (3.2 for).

+26 in that context...

Name him a "43 year old bottom pairing" all you want - but 795 k for those kind of objective outcomes - is extremely hard to beat/replace.

Not to mention the physical aspect he brings.  43 or not, he could pummel most players in the league into a pulp if he wanted to.

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Didn't realize he was a FA. I would have wanted him to sign with Vancouver for a year but I guess travel restrictions between US and Canada might not have made that possible

other problem with that is either the roadblock he'd pose to Juolevi - or Chara being expected to sign to accept a 4LHD role...

as strictly a Benn replacement he's probably a no-brainer (and would fit within waived Benn cap) - but it's hard to imagine that as a relatively attractive option for him.

24 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Rumour is he talked to Montreal but decided against a Canadian team because his family is staying in Boston for now. The border issues with covid were an issue