The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sutter to Chicago (assuming Toews is out long term).

Millsy

I hope JB hopped on the phone and called the Hawks the minute Toews news came out. 

Right now, the hawks are without Toews and Dach, 2 of their top 3 centers. Strome will be thrust into the 1c spot and there’s literally nothing behind him. With Dach out for most of the shortened regular season, and who knows with Toews, I can see Chicago wanting a veteran and stabilizing presence down the middle. 

Now I’m not saying Sutter can replace those guys, but he can add depth to a very weak position for them. 

- he’s got one year left so it’s not a big deal

- they have the cap room 

- we can retain some to make it more appealing for them 

- we rid a contract and can sign a RD plus Tryamkin at the end of his season. 
- chi gets some stop gap help. 

their depth at C is awful. I can’t see them not willing to part with a 4th rounder for Sutter 1/2 retained. 

http://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/teamstats.asp?teamno=04&type=dchart

thoughts? 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Millsy said:

Oops! Sorry my first post here. Just noticed! Sorry to all know advance!

what’s your thought? And can I move it?

It makes sense depending on how long each player is out. They may be looking for more offense though.

And I’m sure the mods will move it shortly.

Edited by DeNiro

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We don't need a checking center?

Time to let Gaudette play, we have Beagle for 4c. Sutter does add some value, I’m not a Sutter hater, but his cap space could help us sign one of the RD’s still out there plus Try. He’s not such a major cog he’ll be missed and it allows us to add valuable pieces on D

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

What’s the point he’s gone this summer. You ain’t getting anything good back most likely. Keep him for depth his time as a Canuck is almost over anyway 

Cap room to sign a RD plus Tryamkin. He’s redundant and Chicago has zero center depth. Opportune time to use an asset to improve the team elsewhere 

1 minute ago, Millsy said:

Cap room to sign a RD plus Tryamkin. He’s redundant and Chicago has zero center depth. Opportune time to use an asset to improve the team elsewhere 

Won’t we have cap room once the trade deadline comes around. Hell if I know haha but I don’t see it happening. If it ain’t happened yet it just ain’t happening. Sutters walking to free agency 

49 minutes ago, Millsy said:

Time to let Gaudette play, we have Beagle for 4c. Sutter does add some value, I’m not a Sutter hater, but his cap space could help us sign one of the RD’s still out there plus Try. He’s not such a major cog he’ll be missed and it allows us to add valuable pieces on D

Gaudette's been tried at that position; he's more suited as a offensive forward.  Much like the use of Horvat in defensive situations.  Beagle is a 4th liner.  No way do I want to see him (at this state in his career - 35 years old) be given more minutes than that.

For future considerations?  Chicago is rebuilding so they probably aren't all that upset about this involuntary tank.  Can’t see them giving up any young assets or picks.

The schedule is tough with so many games in such a short time.  Teams in the division have all improved and added depth.  This comes too late to benefit from the added cap space with the better free agents already off the market.  The objective is still to make the playoffs so don’t see Benning wanting to weaken the roster by taking out a lineup regular.  

Andrew Shaw is coming back.  Who knows if he's healthy but there's an answer for them.  
He scored 0.75 points/ game with Montreal so he's definitely no slouch, but down if they take Sutter for a 2nd like Arizona sold Stepan.

Edited by Phil_314