Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

36 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Ha Ha!

Made me laugh.

Haven't heard that for a long time.

Guys used to be so quick to go in the old bars downtown like The Mac in PG or the Blackstone in Vancouver.

Barely get in the door sometimes.

I’ve been in the Mac in PG, and it was bad, but the Canada was worse. Both were on George St. - I grew up mid teens in an apartment above a bakery right between the two and across the alley from the Sally Ann. Not a great neighborhood, but I had a pet German shepherd that went wherever I did. Seen a lot of guys attacked with broken glasses or broken bottles, or knives. Saw a guy pull a knife at a pool table, and watched a player at the next table take him down with the heavy end of a pool cue. But yeah, guys in those bars were quick to go - Friday and Saturday night was always an adventure.

A lot of the cops in town played on the intermediate level semi-pro home team, the Mohawks - Larry Vandergraaf, Neil Lundgren, and Carson Kerr come to mind, who played for the Mohawks, and their sergeant, Leo Langlois - who didn’t, were big, tough cops, and cleared out many a bar where a brawl was going on. Prince George was a boom town, and all kinds of men followed the laboring jobs wherever they went. Yet, for all of the nastiness, I never felt unsafe as a kid on those streets - I had my dog, but most of those

tough men would not permit a kid being harassed.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Man I quit drinkn. Day 9. Not fun.

Yeah - I sympathize.   Had a good friend who was a heavy drinker, functioning alcoholic really, who quit cold turkey.   We used to fly first class on points every summer to golf in Scotland and Ireland and I was amazed at his self control as all the free booze got wheeled thru the cabin.

We went to a Bushmills tasting - 6 shots, and I had his 6 too.  Could hardly stagger to the car afterwards (thankfully he was driving) I have since always respected people with the fortitude to quit

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Yeah - I sympathize.   Had a good friend who was a heavy drinker, functioning alcoholic really, who quit cold turkey.   We used to fly first class on points every summer to golf in Scotland and Ireland and I was amazed at his self control as all the free booze got wheeled thru the cabin.

We went to a Bushmills tasting - 6 shots, and I had his 6 too.  Could hardly stagger to the car afterwards (thankfully he was driving) I have since always respected people with the fortitude to quit

Yea I'm not terrible just with Christmas and all the eatting it was time for a time out.

What other distilleries did you go to?

This summer I did an outdoor scotch tasting thing with 2 buddies. It was both enjoyable and ugly.

37 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I am so torn with this season it's hard to predict.

I feel that. It's hard to judge how the new division pans out, but TO has scary offensive depth. Thornton on the 3rd line is scary. How does our new defence pan out? (I think best since '11) how bad do injuries hit us? Does covid make its way into the bubble? 

It's a real tough season to judge, but I think the Canucks will be real gud

Just now, Davathor said:

I feel that. It's hard to judge how the new division pans out, but TO has scary offensive depth. Thornton on the 3rd line is scary. How does our new defence pan out? (I think best since '11) how bad do injuries hit us? Does covid make its way into the bubble? 

It's a real tough season to judge, but I think the Canucks will be real gud

Injuries will be the kicker. Canucks are way better but I still think the depth is an issue especially on the 2nd line and D.

D is near impossible though. Depth is really tough.

5 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I’ve been in the Mac in PG, and it was bad, but the Canada was worse. Both were on George St. - I grew up mid teens in an apartment above a bakery right between the two and across the alley from the Sally Ann. Not a great neighborhood, but I had a pet German shepherd that went wherever I did. Seen a lot of guys attacked with broken glasses or broken bottles, or knives. Saw a guy pull a knife at a pool table, and watched a player at the next table take him down with the heavy end of a pool cue. But yeah, guys in those bars were quick to go - Friday and Saturday night was always an adventure.

A lot of the cops in town played on the intermediate level semi-pro home team, the Mohawks - Larry Vandergraaf, Neil Lundgren, and Carson Kerr come to mind, who played for the Mohawks, and their sergeant, Leo Langlois - who didn’t, were big, tough cops, and cleared out many a bar where a brawl was going on. Prince George was a boom town, and all kinds of men followed the laboring jobs wherever they went. Yet, for all of the nastiness, I never felt unsafe as a kid on those streets - I had my dog, but most of those

tough men would not permit a kid being harassed.

I avoided the Mac usually, but used to go to the Canada on open mic nights on Saturday. Any instrument or singer welcome.  Many fights happened with regularity. I always sat with my back to the wall. Made a lot of money playing pool.

My step dad played hockey against the RCMP with the FireFighters.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea I'm not terrible just with Christmas and all the eatting it was time for a time out.

What other distilleries did you go to?

This summer I did an outdoor scotch tasting thing with 2 buddies. It was both enjoyable and ugly.

One year he bust a shoulder and couldn't golf, so we bought a Macbrayne Island-Hop ferry pass (chatting to one of the skippers, he told us that BC Ferries was the world gold standard for ferry operations!!!!!).  We spent 4 days on Islay and toured 5 of the (then) 8 distilleries that were operating.  My favorite was - and still is - Laphroaig,  but all were good. Ardbeg, Bowmore, Caol Ila and Lagavulin were the others.   That was quite the week

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

One year he bust a shoulder and couldn't golf, so we bought a Macbrayne Island-Hop ferry pass (chatting to one of the skippers, he told us that BC Ferries was the world gold standard for ferry operations!!!!!).  We spent 4 days on Islay and toured 5 of the (then) 8 distilleries that were operating.  My favorite was - and still is - Laphroaig,  but all were good. Ardbeg, Bowmore, Caol Ila and Lagavulin were the others.   That was quite the week

That's unreal. Laphroaig and Lagavulin my favorites.