The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Listning to Travis talk it really sounded like they have high hopes for hoglander. i don't think Jake is on a short leash i just think Hoglander might have already made a very good first impression with Green. 

his fitness is top notch not to mention his insane speed and puck skills.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

His agent mentioned that he is in "top shape" this year and it does look like it from the clips we have seen.

That's a huge step in the right direction.  Not necessarily expecting a 50-point (82 game pace) season for Jake but starting camp on the right foot is huge for him and for the team.  It seems like every year Jake has received criticism for his conditioning at camp and while he has still managed to improve over the years, it's been a dark cloud that just hangs over him for the rest of the season.  Really hoping to see Jake jump out of the gate with energy, focus and purpose when games start.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Listning to Travis talk it really sounded like they have high hopes for hoglander. i don't think Jake is on a short leash i just think Hoglander might have already made a very good first impression with Green. 

Kid's a fitness freak, not surprised.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I do understand that Mll

But isn't is that, although cap space is not banked you can go over your cap by the amount that that player takes..........so in Ferlands case, he is an 3.5 m overage

so if he is kept on the roster until after the first game, then the Canucks can go up to that 81.5 Million + the 3.5 Million, so in actual fact, the Canucks get a 85 million cap?

I am not sure if you have a lesser cap....say 79 million with Ferland npt on LTIR, if you can still go to the 81.5 + putting Ferland on LTIR and get the same 85 Million

I don't think it works that way...........I could be wrong

So, Ferland has to be on the opening night Roster, then put on LTIR, then the Canucks get that 3.5 million cap space (aka LTIR adjustment)

For the regular season but bonuses are paid out of banked cap space and there is none in LTIR.  As there’s no banked cap space, you can’t avoid a bonus overage.  You can use his cap space to sign Hamonic but the difference to 3.5M won’t be banked.

LTIR only allows to exceed the cap up to the amount necessary to be cap compliant for the day but at most 85M.  So the daily cap is going to fluctuate based on your daily need.  You can never bank cap space because if you only need to exceed the cap by 1M, you’ll only get 1M.  

Ferland still counts against the cap.  The portion that exceeds 81.5M can only be Ferland money.  If your normal roster is at 79M, then 2.5M of his contract is covered through the normal 81.5M and the remaining 1M by exceeding the cap.  If your regular roster is 81M then 0.5M is covered through normal cap space and the remaining 3M by exceeding the cap.  There’s never banked cap space in LTIR unless you can be under 81.5M with your full roster including Ferland.   

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I feel like Jake does get it...that it's time to sink or swim and he has the potential to really do well.

I'm not sure Loui cares.

I think Loui sees the writing on the wall. Jim even let his agent try and broker a deal for him and no one wanted him lol.