The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, cuporbust said:

This right here makes Motte a selfish idiot. Blown away he would risk injury to a teammate to " prove something for himself ".  Doesnt show compete to me , shows absolute idiocy. Honestly,  liked Motte , but this doesn't show team first intelligence.  Like I said , was shocked to see a guy do something like this in practice to his own teammate, and can't say I am a big fan at the moment .

Heat of the moment play. It means guys are game ready. I don’t think motte was intentionally trying to cheap shot gaudette. 

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, Lafayettecrossbar said:

I noticed that Demko is now wearing CCM pads after wearing Brian's for most of his career. Ian Clark got Markstrom to change to CCM from Bauer and that is when he really started to fix the holes in his game. Hopefully this equates to good things for Demko. 

I listened to an interview where he'd used Brian's for so long that he felt a sense of "loyalty" to continue with them but after trying the CCM's he switched.  Also when they did the glacier trip he wanted to just leave his gear behind and wear sweat pants but they sent him a message telling him he had to bring his gear for the shoot.  So had to lug it all along and actually "suit up" out there in the cold (sitting on a rock!).

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lafayettecrossbar said:

I noticed that Demko is now wearing CCM pads after wearing Brian's for most of his career. Ian Clark got Markstrom to change to CCM from Bauer and that is when he really started to fix the holes in his game. Hopefully this equates to good things for Demko. 

Did you actually notice or did you here him say that on 650 when was being interviewed Friday? 

11 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

Although Gauds is mad still think Motte and him don't get along

I recall that when Motte came back from injury last year Gaud was out.  It's nice to have this competitive push for spots and I like the feistiness but losing players to injury in camp wouldn't be cool.  All good though...it shows how seriously they're taking it.

Love how Motte and Gaudette both play...high energy and intensity.  Motte's forechecking is top notch and I feel like Gaudette could be a real gamebreaker in the making.  

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

I admire your patience. I’m completely done with the guy but I understand what you’re saying 

Me too.  And it takes a WHOLE LOT for me to give up on one of our guys.  Last year I defended him...this year he'll have to do it himself.  There are so many guys fighting for a spot that he should not be gifted one.

I've gotta take the time to say...one of the real standouts for me so far is Brock!  He's flying out there, making some great plays and his shot is wicked.  I'm hoping he slays it this year.  Will be alternating between his jersey and Petey's!  My son and daughter in law have Hughes and Bo covered.

• Like 1

Thought most players had a good scrimmage, which was nice to see. With that said, Motte would be the first to admit that he had one to forget.

Just didn’t agree with him taking out his frustrations on Hawryluk and Gaudette. We needed Horvat to give him a good scolding like he did with Jake last year. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

7 hours ago, cuporbust said:

This right here makes Motte a selfish idiot. Blown away he would risk injury to a teammate to " prove something for himself ".  Doesnt show compete to me , shows absolute idiocy. Honestly,  liked Motte , but this doesn't show team first intelligence.  Like I said , was shocked to see a guy do something like this in practice to his own teammate, and can't say I am a big fan at the moment .

Zoom in to that corner. ... Looks to me like Motte is just trying to lift Gaud's stick to prevent him from playing the puck, and momentum (and Gaudette trying to lift his out of the way) toppled Gaud.  Some may even deduce that Gaudette dove (fell backwards) intentionally.  Motte was unprepared for Gaud's reaction, signalling to me that there was no intent to injure on Motte's part.  Just intensity on both sides

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

On 1/8/2021 at 5:24 PM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Green hasn't even given him a chance to play with the main group.  As far as I'm concerned, if MacEwen and Virtanen are getting chances to play there, Hawryluk should too.

I am surprised at Green's lack of creativity with his line ups , we all know what the "Lotto line" can do and they have been together since the begininng of training camp. I agree they should get some time together but right off the bat? 

Same with Bo and Pearson. It justs shows his favoritism he has for certain players no matter how good or bad they play I guess.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I am surprised at Green's lack of creativity with his line ups , we all know what the "Lotto line" can do and they have been together since the begininng of training camp. I agree they should get some time together but right off the bat? 

Same with Bo and Pearson. It justs shows his favoritism he has for certain players no matter how good or bad they play I guess.

It's not at all what you're saying (favouritism).

There is limited time here, with no exhibition games, everyone has to be up to game speed and ready to go.  You want the players to re-establish and/or develop chemistry together and it's such a short period of time in order to do that.  It's not so much a lack of creativity as it is a sense of urgency to get everyone where they need to be in order to be game ready.  A don't fix what isn't broke.  The lotto line is looking great....not sure why you'd want to tinker.

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Alright after watching it, I'm really impressed by the young guys. The vets are the ones to be worried about. Younger players are more dynamic, creative and really were flying out there tonight. 

Brisebois had a great game, I liked Rathbone's game (needs a bit of seasoning on defense but I think his offense would make up for it as he learns), Rafferty was a bit off tonight but that could be just because Rathbone had the puck on his stick all night, Schmidt looked great and you can tell he's getting Edler to be more dynamic offensively which I like... 

I really wish we could fit Bailey, Graovac, Mack and Motte on the team. Bailey was absolutely flying out there and in my opinion I think deserves a spot on the roster. Liked his game in the A last year along with Mac. Graovac is just a solid forechecker with good hands as well. 

Hogs looked pretty good, not as individualistic as I thought he'd be, but he made some good plays and could have made some more if Pearson didnt just shoot it whenever a good scoring chance could have been generated. 

Not many played horrible, a lot played great and overall there weren't that many disappointments. Biggest disappointments were the veteran lower roster players. 

the vets erikkson,  pearson, and beagle all had solid games, Sutter was great. I didn't see any real mistakes from them. The young guys were hustling for sure, but overall the vets got more scoring chances, and played better in thier own end. 

MacEwen, hustled hard but was out of place a lot.

Lind and woo both made some weak shots from the blueline with no screens, woo had all the time in the world to make a play.

Lockwood looked made some nice hits and had some good rushes.

Joulevi was solid, the best of the bunch between chatfield rafferty and rathbone, who also had pretty decent games

Motte nearly injured 3 of our players, he is hungry. But maybe should take it easy. Motte tried several offensive moves, but were easily thwarted.

Virtanen was solid as well. On his assist, he made a great play to sutter. He also was allowed to walk in to the front of the net from the point.

woo is not ready

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I recall that when Motte came back from injury last year Gaud was out.  It's nice to have this competitive push for spots and I like the feistiness but losing players to injury in camp wouldn't be cool.  All good though...it shows how seriously they're taking it.

Love how Motte and Gaudette both play...high energy and intensity.  Motte's forechecking is top notch and I feel like Gaudette could be a real gamebreaker in the making.  

Motte is a both a dark horse and an ace in the hole.   Love AG too...but compared to both their play when the chips were down Motte was a pleasant surprise for me at least.   He’s exactly what our bottom six needs - and also think he’s got more to give.   Don’t want and injury that would force him up the lineup - but also feel he’s got some Burrows in him would love to see him in a larger role.   Playing against the best other teams have to offer in the PK...well what did he manage?   To pace them play for play - knock pucks out of the air and skate it out ... best in the entire league up until we lost at takeaways ... I hope he gets the chance to move up. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's not at all what you're saying (favouritism).

There is limited time here, with no exhibition games, everyone has to be up to game speed and ready to go.  You want the players to re-establish and/or develop chemistry together and it's such a short period of time in order to do that.  It's not so much a lack of creativity as it is a sense of urgency to get everyone where they need to be in order to be game ready.  A don't fix what isn't broke.  The lotto line is looking great....not sure why you'd want to tinker.

Like I stated before, I get they need time to re-establish their "sync" but I think Hog has a good chance(to make the team) yet he was never tried with Petey and what if he doesn't pan out who is going to play alongside Bo? No one but Hog has been playing on his right side so far. 

On the other hand, there has been quite a mish-mash with the bottom 6 lines though, so should there not be the same consideration taken for them? 

Its like Lui last year playing on Bo's wing, he has his mind made up and there is nothing that can be done to change his mind, or his creativity, when he makes a decision. 

• Vintage 1