The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

As far as trying other people out on Bo’s wing goes, it is most likely that one of the “vets” or “main stays” gets that spot if Hoglander doesn’t. Therefore, I’m pretty sure Green knows what his options are because he has tried and seen those lines previously in other seasons. No sense in not giving this line the best chance to succeed when he already knows what his other options look like.

Uhmm...........the mainstay last year? I can't even say his name, to me that is NOT an option.The only other one with limited time on that line is Jake. What about Motte or Gaudette? I think if Gaudette is not ready to run his own line he is going to have to play somewhere in the line up. 

I just think its narrow sighted to throw all of your eggs in one basket even though its just practice and scrimmage games. That should be the time to "experiment" IMHO.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

I went there to check that out but found my attention drawn to heights and weights. I don't remember ever seeing it laid out that way before but for some reason found it fascinating.

Demko is 6-4 192 lbs.

Dipietro is 6-0 200 lbs.

The two heaviest are Jake and Myers. Myers has an excuse at 6-8. Jake at 6-1, not so much. 

I'm going to start calling Jake, Butterball. ;)

OK maybe not. That's not nice.

I don’t think those are current or accurate measurements. It looks like something TSN threw together and not a reproduction of the actual training camp roster sheet. For example, they have Brisebois at 6’2”, 175 lbs, which are basically his draft measurements. Even his QMJHL team pages have his last listed vitals at 6’3”, 190 lbs. And he’s played 4 AHL/NHL seasons since he was in the Q. I doubt he shrunk an inch and lost 15 lbs since turning pro.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Uhmm...........the mainstay last year? I can't even say his name, to me that is NOT an option.The only other one with limited time on that line is Jake. What about Motte or Gaudette? I think if Gaudette is not ready to run his own line he is going to have to play somewhere in the line up. 

I just think its narrow sighted to throw all of your eggs in one basket even though its just practice and scrimmage games. That should be the time to "experiment" IMHO.

Everyone will have to have all their eggs in one basket in a few days (hopefully).  So do you wait and try and gather them all on gameday?  Or do you organize things beforehand so everyone's set and ready to go?  I know which plan I like better.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

With this new strain being so ultra contagious...do we stand a chance at a season?  This is so concerning.

After being quite confident earlier on, I am starting to have niggling doubts if this whole thing is going to be possible. I hope I’m wrong because I’m not sure any of us needed hockey in our lives more than we do right now.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Everyone will have to have all their eggs in one basket in a few days (hopefully).  So do you wait and try and gather them all on gameday?  Or do you organize things beforehand so everyone's set and ready to go?  I know which plan I like better.

Big difference between the 1st day of training camp and the last day. The "Lotto line" and Bo and Pearson need no time to see if they gel just time to tune up before the season starts. When issues arise during the regular season, and they will, then maybe we can return to this discussion again. ::D

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Big difference between the 1st day of training camp and the last day. The "Lotto line" and Bo and Pearson need no time to see if they gel just time to tune up before the season starts. When issues arise during the regular season, and they will, then maybe we can return to this discussion again. ::D

It's not about "seeing" it's about giving them time to shake off the rust.  You want your top performers ready to g and firing on all cylinders.   You don't need to see if they gel but getting up to game speed again is important.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

When Hughes first hit the ice in overtime:

OMG, has his skating and shiftiness gotten even better?

In the offensive zone and just snapping player's ankles over and over.

He's entering the prime of his life. It's natural that he and Petey will improve in strength, and fill out a tad bit more. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

It's not about "seeing" it's about giving them time to shake off the rust.  You want your top performers ready to go.   You don't need to see if they gel but getting up to game speed again is important.

That will happen no matter who they are playing with and is an entirely different argument. 

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wonder how Dr. Bonnie Henry will feel about this.

Really good if it turns out to be a prudent precaution due to a family member who was worried and spoke out.  If everything turns out fine with the tests they're already probably doing, I would think she'd be somewhat proud of the system working like it should.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

Deb I’ll join ya :towel:hopefully this is just the team staying ahead of this. 

I sure hope so.   

I'm hoping we can quickly resume with "previously scheduled programming" in here (training camp talk)  Which is why I created a separate thread - in order to quarantine the COVID talk and not overtake the hockey talk.  God, I'm so over COVID.  Do I need to give myself another time out today?  Or can I just swear @StealthNuck?

@%#$&^#*#&#!!!   (too late)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They said earlier in the week they won't push to the front of the line.  But maybe that will change?!

I hope not. There are a lot of people out there who are waiting and more deserving than young professional athletes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1