The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Mad Jon said:

I hope not. There are a lot of people out there who are waiting and more deserving than young professional athletes.

Yep...I think it sets a dangerous precedent if people start finding reasons "why" they should be bumped.  I already see a bit of that (with politicians "leading the way"...setting an example but are they really just jumping the queue?).   

There are limited supplies available at any given time so it's very much a wait your turn deal.  So it doesn't take away from those who need it most.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Yep...I think it sets a dangerous precedent if people start finding reasons "why" they should be bumped.  I already see a bit of that (with politicians "leading the way"...setting an example but are they really just jumping the queue?).   

There are limited supplies available at any given time so it's very much a wait your turn deal.  So it doesn't take away from those who need it most.

As much as I'd like to have the vaccine, I also have no issues waiting. It might be one of the various vaccine's is better, and has less side effects. Sort of like never buying the first year of a car. You wait until they work the bugs out. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As much as I'd like to have the vaccine, I also have no issues waiting. It might be one of the various vaccine's is better, and has less side effects. Sort of like never buying the first year of a car. You wait until they work the bugs out. 

Are you 85 years of age and living in a retirement facility?

• Wat 2

45 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

That should be the time to "experiment"

Normally I would agree with this but this camp is very different. The most noticeable issue in respect to your comment is TIME. They have very little time to experiment with the lines. Better to go with what is a known commodity and insert a player/prospect in and out of the lineup once the season starts. Lines like the 6-40-9 have played a lot together before so they already have chemistry together. Same goes for Bo and Pearson but need to see if Hoglander is a fit or not. I think they are a bit more flexible on the bottom 6 as that is where a number of prospects are likely to start.

36 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Big difference between the 1st day of training camp and the last day. The "Lotto line" and Bo and Pearson need no time to see if they gel just time to tune up before the season starts. When issues arise during the regular season, and they will, then maybe we can return to this discussion again. ::D

Yeeeeah... I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe, just MAYBE, the coaching staff had discussed this and decided what they are doing is the best course of action to get the team ready. I think they want to put their best foot forward starting on game 1 of the season and I feel like they have taken the right approach. I have more trust in them, than your wanting to see a mixup of line combos.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I will take the vaccine once it is available to my age group and that most likely will be late March or sometime in April. Lots of time to form an opinion on the rate of severe side effects of the Moderna vs Pfizer vaccines.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Yeeeeah... I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe, just MAYBE, the coaching staff had discussed this and decided what they are doing is the best course of action to get the team ready. I think they want to put their best foot forward starting on game 1 of the season and I feel like they have taken the right approach. I have more trust in them, than your wanting to see a mixup of line combos.

I have trust in Benning, Green? Not so much. Having Ericksson play the majority of the year(last year) in the top 6 really gave me doubts. 

Seeing Jake have offensive success in the top 6, and then relegated back to the bottom 6 had me scratching my head. 

Having Bo as a shut down guy instead of being a second line of attack behind Peteys line makes me wonder when we have guys on the team(Beagle,Sutter,Motte etc.) to shut down the oppositions top lines.

Kind of like he is attempting this year with an offensive player(Hogs) playing beside Bo and LE playing where he should be(4th line). Why didn't he figure that out last year?

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I have trust in Benning, Green? Not so much. Having Ericksson play the majority of the year(last year) in the top 6 really gave me doubts. 

Seeing Jake have offensive success in the top 6, and then relegated back to the bottom 6 had me scratching my head. 

Having Bo as a shut down guy instead of being a second line of attack behind Peteys line makes me wonder when we have guys on the team(Beagle,Sutter,Motte etc.) to shut down the oppositions top lines.

Kind of like he is attempting this year with an offensive player(Hogs) playing beside Bo and LE playing where he should be(4th line). Why didn't he figure that out last year?

Jake had success in numbers this is true.   But he was a lazy, inconsistent, bieber loving man child most nights.   Making stupid plays, not finishing checks, not doing what he suppose to be doing ; throwing his weight around.   Just cause you put up numbers doesn’t give you thr right to fight with the top lines. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Mad Jon said:

I hope not. There are a lot of people out there who are waiting and more deserving than young professional athletes.

I doubt that would happen in Canada, as the media would be all over it.  I can see it happening in the States though, which really makes the season in favour of the American teams.  I suppose the Cdn teams could source the vaccine outside Canada though.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I sure hope so.   

I'm hoping we can quickly resume with "previously scheduled programming" in here (training camp talk)  Which is why I created a separate thread - in order to quarantine the COVID talk and not overtake the hockey talk.  God, I'm so over COVID.  Do I need to give myself another time out today?  Or can I just swear @StealthNuck?

@%#$&^#*#&#!!!   (too late)

Let er rip with cuss words Deb, I concur I’m over this Covid $h:# as well!! :towel:

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's entering the prime of his life. It's natural that he and Petey will improve in strength, and fill out a tad bit more. 

Neither of them have man strength yet. Wait till they’re 27/28 and have that. They will be terrorizing teams. Look at how the twins improved once they could stand their ground 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

While I'd love to see Eriksson sent down to Utica or even put on the taxi squad, there are some strong financial reasons why it may not happen.  Apparently players in the minor leagues don't pay escrow.  From the owner's point of view, that's a compelling non-hockey reason to keep him on the 23-man roster.  Same applies to Baertschi.  Maybe they both end up spending most of the season formally on the team but never playing, with players from the taxi squad subbing in for whatever injuries happen.  We need to be mentally ready for this, even if they are waived to start the year. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Because we didn’t have Hoglander last season perhaps?... What happened when we acquired Toffoli and into the playoffs?

It sounds like you are advocating, and correct me if I am wrong, that you want Green to try out every potential partner on Bo’s line because inevitably there will be some injuries or Hoglander doesn’t work out. Well, I would ask, what makes you believe that it’s going to be Hoglander that gets injured or is not suited for their role? Is it not possible that anyone on the roster could get injured? Does that mean we should be trying out all possible combos to prepare ourselves for that? Where do we draw the line?

On the flip side, does it not make more sense to try to prepare what our optimal roster for the start of the season? And when injuries occur or players don’t live up to their roles to deal with it then?  You also seem be ignoring the fact that they are trying to groom certain players like Gaud for a particular role, which is not Bo’s winger... it seems like they want to develop him into solidifying his own line at center. Despite how you want to interpret Green’s coaching choices in the past based on select information, yes, I still believe he is making the right decisions here.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Fire Green, your hired Edgar.

Seriously though he (coach Green) is an NHL coach and former player, that most pundits and hockey experts respect.

The fact that you have "not so much" trust in Bennig and Green is fine, your certainly intitled to your own opinion. I doubt their not second guessing themselves or loosing any sleep over you opinion.

We had an excellent year last year, our team improved and surprised allot of people in the bubble. We have an exciting young team and coach. Perhaps we can focus on  the season ahead of us, rather than your opinion of last years ice time of Eriksson and JV?

Go canucks go 

Edited by AbrasiveAjax
Oops
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3