The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 1/9/2021 at 11:32 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bit surprised why Sutter isn't on our 3rd line, and scared about how Roussel, Gaudette and Virtanen are going to fare defensively. None of them are really strong in their own zone and while it's great to put Roussel with the two kids, I don't see much defensive awareness there. Gaudette isn't too strong on the faceoffs yet either and could use another year of sheltering on the wing in my opinion. Offensively they'll be a force for a 3rd line and an absolute pest/pain to play against, but if they get hemmed in their own zone they're going to be feasted on which is my worry. Our 4th line looks quite strong defensively to be honest, but I'd share the love around and just swap Roussel and Sutter.

A good point. 

But it is the coaches job to teach, then deploy these guys if they are doing their reps on ice covering their defensive responsibilities. Cover skills and fundamentals, like face off's, systems like zone coverage in the film room & practice. He only gives ice rime if they commit to these things. Jake and Gaud are both being taught PK. Develop...

That said? 

The Motte Beagle Sutter then Pearson Horvat Hoglander (insert Eriksson, Tofu, Brock last year) lines were taking the primary and secondary defensive match ups.  Petey the key offensive. Then Bo's line double shifted & took secondary O'zone shifts. The ''third'' line with Gaudette, you could call it sheltered. Really just got less ice time, Only came on the ice for offensive draws that were left. Or who's guys were puffed, from PP or PK duties. The 3rd is not a defensive line in Green's rotation.

Gaudette's line just has to improve so they can be deployed in more situations. Develop it's own identity. With Roussel & Jake he has two BIG wingers, and Jake is fast. Both can shoot, have proven they can score in the NHL. Rous plays a heavy, agitating game, and Jake has at times been a heavy hitter. We want him to find that again, without being out of position, or getting suspended. Gaud himself is improving his speed & feist. See him pissing off Motte, them fighting him after battles got edgy. Be one that punishes defenses on the fore check & corners. Counter strikes, creates offense. Vegas, Alex Tuch is like Jake (?), has a 3rd line like this. A punishing / scoring 3rd line.

I really like where we are headed with Roussel Gaudette Virtanen.

Gaud's plan ?   

• Cheers 1