The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Easy pal. I was on my phone and didn't see the edit. I just saw a bunch of people chirping directly below a long thread of info.

If you want me to tone down the snark maybe try not to escalate :lol:

Sure, next time I'll just ignore the shade someone throws at me for no reason. Don't you have some typos to point out somewhere? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 4

27 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Schmidt is the best interview on the team, bar none. 

the way he's able to turn an interview into a simple friendly human conversation has the potential to be a big benefit for everyone. the players are always so guarded with media (for obvious reasons) and there's always this subtle tension there, but Nate seems to make everybody more comfortable and easygoing in that environment. it'll be interesting to see as time goes on if that enables players to feel more comfortable with the media, letting their personalities out a bit and giving more thoughtful, less cliche answers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Agreed.

On paper our D looks as good as it has in a very, very long time (probably not as good as 2011, but better than most since). 

I am somewhat concerned about our scoring though.  Miller/Pettersson/Horvat all had fantastic years and we were top 8 in overall goals for - is it realistic for this to happen back-to-back years and at the same time also have career years from Pearson/Virt/Gaud?  I hope so, but I'm realistic at the same time.  Our top 6 is going to be under heavy pressure to produce regularly as I don't see our bottom 6 helping out much on the scoring - although you never know how offense from the D might drive play. 

I think our 3rd line will produce well I’m optimistic the equivalent of 50 goals on 82 game schedule for rous/gaud/virt.  

good chance petey and boeser produce more goals than last year might offset if miller slips at all.  Wildcard is hoglander if he can chip in 15 2nd line will be great.

lots to look forward to.

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Big Serg gets bonus points for no windshield. I am super old school.

I was at a game once against the Rangers and Serg literally axe chopped Kocur? and Joey jumped and Serg completely missed.

In 2021 Serg would have gotten 10 games easily.

I think Serg has become a sub sandwich entrepreneur back in Montreal. Loved it when Quinn got him.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

the way he's able to turn an interview into a simple friendly human conversation has the potential to be a big benefit for everyone. the players are always so guarded with media (for obvious reasons) and there's always this subtle tension there, but Nate seems to make everybody more comfortable and easygoing in that environment. it'll be interesting to see as time goes on if that enables players to feel more comfortable with the media, letting their personalities out a bit and giving more thoughtful, less cliche answers. 

Such a great point. 
The average Vancouver media figurehead (Sat Shah, Ian Mac, Jeff Paterson, Thomas Drance, Rick Dhaliwal, etc.) can come off as prodding and a bit sensationalistic about the state of the team, it's just the nature of the industry. But they're really just fanboy nerds like us. 

Nobody wants this team to do poorly, and they're not intentionally trying to annoy or intimidate the players (cut to Petey death-stare).

JT Miller, for example, is very old-school and guarded. This rubs off on Petey, Brock, Quinn, etc. but with Schmidt perhaps we can turn this into a fun team to watch and cover, as they roll into an era of successful hockey and annual post-season appearances. 

11 minutes ago, tas said:

Exactly tas. He’s natural without being cliched. And I haven’t heard him say “obviously” a million times either. :lol:

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Agreed.

On paper our D looks as good as it has in a very, very long time (probably not as good as 2011, but better than most since). 

I am somewhat concerned about our scoring though.  Miller/Pettersson/Horvat all had fantastic years and we were top 8 in overall goals for - is it realistic for this to happen back-to-back years and at the same time also have career years from Pearson/Virt/Gaud?  I hope so, but I'm realistic at the same time.  Our top 6 is going to be under heavy pressure to produce regularly as I don't see our bottom 6 helping out much on the scoring - although you never know how offense from the D might drive play. 

I think Hoglander will give our second line some much needed creativity and playmaking. They looked great head to head with our Lotto line in the last scrimmage and looked just as dangerous. 

the 3rd line has a lot of promise, I believe Gaud will have a breakout year offensively and Jake has somethin to prove. If he and Jake can develop a chemistry that would be huge.

our 4th line is a typical generic energy line but having Sutter and Beagle on the same line is kinda redundant. I would much rather have Big Mac in for one of them because he gives us a physical element, but it's not a big deal.

• Upvote 1

My Projected Roster

Forwards 

• Jay Beagle
  • Brock Boeser
  • Adam Gaudette
  • Jayce Hawryluk
  • Nils Hoglander
  • Bo Horvat
  • Zack MacEwen
  • J.T. Miller
  • Tyler Motte
  • Tanner Pearson
  • Elias Pettersson
  • Antoine Roussel
  • Brandon Sutter
  • Jake Virtanen

Defencemen

• Jordie Benn
  • Alexander Edler
  • Travis Hamonic
  • Quinn Hughes
  • Olli Juolevi
  • Tyler Myers
  • Nate Schmidt

Goaltenders 

• Thatcher Demko
  • Braden Holtby

Taxi Squad

Jake Kielly

Jalen Chatfield

Brogan Rafferty

Justin Bailey 

Marc Michaelis

Tyler Graovac

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Agreed.

I’m worried about our third line scoring as well. I wonder if moving Pearson down to the third line with Gaudette and Virtanen would balance the scoring. MacEwen, Roussel or even Baertschi could play with Bo and Hogs.