The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I am really looking forward to final decisions being made and the final roster being set. Seems like a lot of excess noise this year in the media with taxi squad, guys who have to start up, guys who have to start down all to maximize cap considerations.  Once it is all settled and the puck drops I am going to be stoked!

Woohoo - bonus.  PrimeTime here (Ducks channel) is airing a game in their run up to season start.  Polled viewers, and game asked for is Feb's with Canucks.

I honestly can't remember the score (please, nobody post it) so will be like watching a real, live game !!!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Love the Schmidt interviews. No cliche with that guy. It’s refreshing and awesome 

Indeed!!

Remember that "welcome to the Canucks" presser?  A 6 second Q, then a 2 minute answer, then a 10 secs more involved Q, again, 2 mins answer.  He's a gem.

Must be a bit of garrulous Irish in his ancestry somewhere 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Curious if they'd dip into the waiver wire for a 3rd goaltender. Right now its DiPietro but... you gotta think they want him playing games. Kinkaid, Comrie, Gillies are potential options, amongst a few others I'm sure.

Goaltending aside, the one area I'd be curious about is adding another winger who could fill in the top 9 - a backup plan for Hoglander, or just injuries in general. Someone better than Eriksson. Now they do have Baertschi who could be that guy, but Green seems to have just given up on him as an NHL player. 

The guy I saw is Micheal Frolik. Established veteran, versatile player on a league minimum contract. I'm sure there's some logistical issues that could prevent it. But if possible he'd be the one skater I'd think about. 

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Curious if they'd dip into the waiver wire for a 3rd goaltender. Right now its DiPietro but... you gotta think they want him playing games. Kinkaid, Comrie, Gillies are potential options, amongst a few others I'm sure.

Goaltending aside, the one area I'd be curious about is adding another winger who could fill in the top 9 - a backup plan for Hoglander, or just injuries in general. Someone better than Eriksson. Now they do have Baertschi who could be that guy, but Green seems to have just given up on him as an NHL player. 

The guy I saw is Micheal Frolik. Established veteran, versatile player on a league minimum contract. I'm sure there's some logistical issues that could prevent it. But if possible he'd be the one skater I'd think about. 

Goaltender yes, I’ve been saying this for while. Mikey needs to play and I think Kielly should too. Depends though if they are splitting games with STL goaltenders then maybe Kielly stays to work with Ian Clark. Better then only playing a couple games. 

Another vet forward nah. Gaudette and JV can easily shuffle into the top six 

18 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

10 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Goaltender yes, I’ve been saying this for while. Mikey needs to play and I think Kielly should too. Depends though if they are splitting games with STL goaltenders then maybe Kielly stays to work with Ian Clark. Better then only playing a couple games. 

Another vet forward nah. Gaudette and JV can easily shuffle into the top six 

If we pick someone up off waivers, they need to stay on the active roster, not the taxi squad.

So that's not going to work.

If we want to improve/augment our 3rd goalie, we'd need to sign (and waive) a UFA or trade for a guy (ideally already waived).

• Cheers 1