The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

42 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

More on Benning (had to answer my phone!!):

Taxi Squad/Utica:  DiPietro, Rathbone, Lockwood?   The taxi squad we'll use all year as the next guys to get called up.  We'll be switching guys in and out...we won't keep guys all year on the TS.  We want to get the young kids playing.  The AHL training camp doesn't start until Jan. 25 and we can keep them here until Jan. 20th.  Use it as a training tool....Chris Higgins will be working with them all year.  Conditioning and skating coaches will work with them.  A valuable way to keep developing guys and get them better.  Will spend a lot of time on figuring out who we want up here....want to give a lot of opportunity..whether through injury or illness, to give them playing time.

benji is a sharp guy. I never doubt his plan. 

42 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

makes me wonder about jordie benn, jamie benn, the dallas stars and how that chain of events went. 

38 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh dude, you better be!    Counting on it!

that's a very cool connection I wasn't aware of. also a nice way to ingratiate himself to fans and ease the loss of a fan fave like tanman. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

- The good: Hamonic with the team, should play tomorrow.

- The bad: No Miller to start the year

- The ugly: Unreliable tests

So a guess at tomorrow's lineup:

Virtanen / Petey / Boeser

Pearson / Horvat / Hoglander

Roussel / Gaudette / Sutter

Motte / Beagle / MacEwen

Edler / Schmidt

Hughes / Hamonic

Juolevi / Myers

Holtby in the pipes

36 minutes ago, tas said:

benji is a sharp guy. I never doubt his plan. 

makes me wonder about jordie benn, jamie benn, the dallas stars and how that chain of events went. 

that's a very cool connection I wasn't aware of. also a nice way to ingratiate himself to fans and ease the loss of a fan fave like tanman. 

Tan who?

• Cheers 3

NHL teams will gravitate toward the test kits that give the least false positives over time.  European teams went through this already. 

In Europe the pros have been playing since Oct.  Almost every team playing in Europe has had covid impact.  Some with 1 or 2 positives. Some where 3/4 of the team has tested positive. I have first hand experience with this with friends and family. Luckily these guys are healthy and recover pretty quickly without a lot of lingering effects as a general rule.

All teams have had games rescheduled and had players miss games. Some teams have sat out 2 to 3 weeks.

NHL teams should expect to experience something similar. This is to be expected.  Hopefully with vaccines coming the impact lessens over time.

But the reality is this may be a very challenging year and it may not always be fair as it plays out. Luck of the draw.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

OK here  IS MY OPINION coming from the hockey gods...its a show and tell me year covid or not...im going to just say it as simple as possible....COACH GREEN MAKE SOME NOISE THIS YEAR AND SHOW ME THAT YOU ARE A GREAT COACH SOMEHOW...Virtanen show me you can play consistent hard nose hockey and show me some stuff that you have not shown before...id like to see if you can up the game play smart hockey and still be tough when teams needs it..  BOESER show me you are just getting better with the the shot skating and just better game overall...miller and petey just keep up the same game...demko hughs just show us the skill you have and just keep things up...basically all new guys need to just play the way they got here....ID LIKE TO SEE THE CANUCKS TAKE IT TO THE TEAMS THIS YEAR BY PLAYING SOLID 60 MINUTES....LOTS OF SHOTS AND WIN BATTLES IN THE DIRTY AREAS...HOCKEYGODS ARE DUE FOR PUCK LUCK SEASON...

Edited by hockeygod77
SPELLING
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

not only that, it royally bungs up the cap situation. i have spent 30 minutes and haven't found a solution, though the canucks have had 24 hours on me.

Currently 14F + 7D + 2G on active roster with cap of $84.19m.

Take out Miller + Benn and they have 13F and 6D, not counting taxi squad players ready to step in if required.

Send Baer or Eriksson to taxi squad. Bring up Hoglander. Put Ferland on LTIR and voila, no cap issues that I can see...

I also believe salaries of players that cannot play due to covid test protocols are treated as if the player has been waived to the minors, this will give a further 2 x $1.075m relief while Miller and Benn are unavailable.

Opening game lineup based on Capfriendly with Miller and Benn removed:

Virtanen Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Roussel Gaudette MacEwen

Motte Beagle Sutter

(Eriksson)

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

Holtby (Demko)

Edited by BigTramFan

43 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Currently 14F + 7D + 2G on active roster with cap of $84.19m.

Take out Miller + Benn and they have 13F and 6D, not counting taxi squad players ready to step in if required.

Send Baer or Eriksson to taxi squad. Bring up Hoglander. Put Ferland on LTIR and voila, no cap issues that I can see...

I also believe salaries of players that cannot play due to covid test protocols are treated as if the player has been waived to the minors, this will give a further 2 x $1.075m relief while Miller and Benn are unavailable.

Opening game lineup based on Capfriendly with Miller and Benn removed:

Virtanen Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Roussel Gaudette MacEwen

Motte Beagle Sutter

(Eriksson)

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

Holtby (Demko)

I like Eriksson in parenthesis. ::D

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

this is gold

Gaudette is hilarious. I love that he’s playing up his and Motte’s exchange. They probably notice how the media plays up things on the ice. Good for Adam to liven up the reel. Same with Schmidt. 

I also find that the video works a lot better on mute. ::D

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1