The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Craig Button made a comparison to Chris Kunitz today, and I like the comparison. Winger that excels with elite talent - like Alex Burrows was too. Does all the hardwork/heavy lifting but also smart enough to make plays.

Think about some of the chances he created for his Russian teammates, now think about those opportunities being created for Pettersson or Boeser. Pretty good thought. 

Kunitz, Landeskog, or winger version of Pavaski... What amazing comparisons!  He'll make his own name and will be used as a comparison to some up and coming gritty skilled prospect in the not to distant future.

The Hogs & Podz era is about to begin... Buckle up canuck fans... The next generation of Vancouver Canuck hockey has arrived!!!!!!!!:towel:

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

pearson has value we can get a decent draft puck at deadline for him

Depending on our position in standings they might want to keep tanner for a playoff run, he was pretty good in the playoffs last year and he has invaluable experience.

It's nice to get assets but we might not be in a seller position 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, 10pavelbure96 said:

Depending on our position in standings they might want to keep tanner for a playoff run, he was pretty good in the playoffs last year and he has invaluable experience.

It's nice to get assets but we might not be in a seller position 

ya rathbone hoglander juolevi macewen lind all are gonna make benning make hard choices   pearson did nothing in vegas series  i think his time here is numbered  i feel like benning got a trade  in the works  not sure who but i feel like  teams gonna go for a different 3rd line center  and maybe bit mire muscle in bottom 9 to protect the kids cant gave vegas running them in playoffs like last yr 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Man, IF the Leafs miss the play off's???  :rolleyes:

The Canadian division is hard to call?

With Hamonic, and my homer glasses, I see Vancouver as the best Canadian team. Good down middle, in goal, now defensively sound. I see teams 4 yo 6 being a dogfight.  

Toronto has depth issues, great at C. Improving, but not fundamentally sound on D. Calgary, questionable at C wi Monahan, Lindholm, Backlund. Questionable, not weak... Their season may be down to if Valimaki & Rasmus Andersson can handle some defensive assignments. Great in goal. Edmonton will miss Klefbom. His injury hurts their D zone and PK, does not gave a netminder to rescue them. Dazzling forward talent. Winnipeg has some holes? But magnificent talent. But are well coached which should buffer some weakness, and solid in goal. Montreal I actually see as the 4th best team?  But has stellar goal tending, and suddenly some play off style bodies in Weber and Andersson.     

1)  Van

2)  Edmonton Montreal

3)  Winnipeg

4)  Edmonton

5)  Toronto

6)  Calgary   

7)  Ottawa

17 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Eagle gets little love outside of Vancouver, hell even some in this market crap on him but it seems like his back issues haven't been an issue and he has been great the last 2 seasons. The second we got Nate I thought " now there's 2 players who based on strengths and weaknesses, have the potential to be a deadly top pairing”.

The trickle-down effect should be a big plus for Quinn as well.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Quinn looks noticeably more muscular this year...deltoids, biceps and pecs showing nice definition.

I fully realize that these comments might come across as creepy. :lol:

Makes sense since he trained with Jack who according to Devil fans he put on 15 pounds, 13 of it muscle.

Given the fact normal Brothers are always trying to one-up each other, I imagine those 2 really take sibling rivalry to a much higher level. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Once Holtby was signed, I had no worries about our goalie situation. I hear Marky’s already chirping our Nucks to the Cowtown media. I don’t hope him the best and wish they finish dead last in the division. 

Agreed. Even before Marky left I felt he didn't have right temperament to lead a team to a cup. Way to emotional and gets rattled way to easily. I thought he was average in the bubble and honestly after game four against the Wild I started wondering is this the guy you want in a game seven?

Holtby and Demko have both shown they thrive under pressure even if for Demko it's a small sample size at the NHL level. 

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Podz couldn't do it himself, but the effort was there. He made smart plays/passes, took a big hit and handled himself, he'll be a beast. Could be an amazing spring if Podz joins the Canucks (later in the season). Any chance Try joins him on the flight over? 

Did anyone catch Podz just ripping into his team yesterday? He looked pi**ed, even the professor  stayed out of it. After watching every game Russia played it was obvious how much better he was than the rest of his team.

Put him with anyone on even Canada's fourth line and he's being talked about as the steal of the draft.

Certainly won over all the pundits, even Ray who seemed oddly hard on team Russia, especially Askarov.

10 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

It is exciting but those will likely not be traded unless the Canucks are way out of a playoff position at the TDL, not to mention, Podz can play regular season but will not be eligible for playoffs.

I could be wrong but he would be available. I know last season Krill and others weren't but that was an outlier for last season.

Podz playing in the playoffs would be no different than when Makar played for the Avs or if Van made it in Quinns or Brocks debuts.

20 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Loui needs to up his game....not sure if "little things" matter as much as some big things that younger guys will bring.  Speed being a huge factor.  Fanning on opportunities in front of the net, too.  Engagement and focus.  Not mailing it in.

I've really tried to look at the value of Loui's play, you can tease it out with tools like natural stat trick, e.g. to show value on a particular line., but if he 's not going to bring a full effort at camp.... I don't know how he can be given a spot over someone like Lind e.g. The one thing that might see Loui kept on the taxi group is you want kids to get a lot of quality minutes. 

What will be really interesting is how Green decides to approach the short series problem. This is such a weird year, its not really like any season we've seen its more like a bunch of mini-playoffs of 2 to 4 games. If Green decides to change the look of the top 9 e.g. from one game to the next to keep teams from game planning an entire short series more easily, maybe we do see kids like Hoglander and Lind on the taxi group so they can be swapped out from one game to the next. That might be a great learning opportunity for them to get say 20 games mixed in with practice on the taxi group, thats probably as valuable as 50 AHL games. 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Podz couldn't do it himself, but the effort was there. He made smart plays/passes, took a big hit and handled himself, he'll be a beast. Could be an amazing spring if Podz joins the Canucks (later in the season). Any chance Try joins him on the flight over? 

Even McDavid wasn't enough on his own to get to the MC. 

You can see the tools Podz has, and how he'd fit in beautifully if he can keep it going here. Only one way to find out, and it sure looks like we are going to see that this year. It would be awesome of Aqulini could hand a brown bag of cash to someone to get his contact bought out early. 

I wonder if any 2021 merchandise will be sold (E.g. 2021 CANUCKS - NORTH DIVISION, or something like that). Could be a good collectable one day seeing as there won't be a North division after this season. I got me one of those grey Canucks Playoffs hoodies the players wore in the bubble last summer. Such a strange playoffs.

Excited for this season, even though it's not the full 82. Teams won't ease into the season like before, all of the games will matter.

As recent as last week, I was a bit concerned that the Canucks wouldn't have enough offence and the D lost too much (Tanev, Stecher, Fantenberg), but with the addition of Schmidt, Hamonic getting a PTO, and seeing Juolevi and Rathbone play well, the D could be even better. On offence, Jake seems to have finally gotten it. Thank you Tyler Myers. Virtanen will be battling for a Top 6 spot, and the there's Hoglander as well. Boeser needs to stay healthy.    

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Division naming rights sold

We are now in the "Scotia" North division

I believe Scotia hockey has agreements with all Canadian teams except Ottawa and Vancouver. Scotia is really intertwined with a lot of the Toronto-based hockey media too. They’re really not fans of Canucks or Sens.

8 hours ago, canuktravella said:

or moving pearson out  need cap space for tryamkin and podkolzin april 30 i expect pearson and  sutter and baertchi and benn to be traded at deadline  hopefully for pics 

miller petey boeser

hoglander horvat podzolkin

motte gaudette virtanen

roussel   beagle  macewen 

lind

hughes schmidt

edler myers 

juolevi tryamkin 

hamonic rafferty 

demko 

holtby 

iscrazy depth come playoffs 

We'll exactly, as posted earlier:

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

CAN. NOT. WAIT.

The real fun starts if some of these guys start making Pearson, Sutter and Benn etc available at the TDL...

Imagine adding solid young players like Podz AND getting assets back for selling :wub:

So (assuming a relatively healthy F group) Pearson and Sutter get moved at the TDL and replaced with Podkolzin and one of MacEwan, Hawr, Lind etc

(Benn as well, assuming guys like Brisebois, Chatfield, Rathbone, Rafferty continue to prove themselves capable).

Though unfortunately, I think it's highly unlikely we see Tryamkin this season. He's likely released after the cutoff to sign free agents.

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

That would be amazing! Love that top 6.

I would switch around the bottom 6 lines to:

Pearson Gaudette Motte

Roussel Beagle Sutter

But now it worries me if a player like MacEwen is put on the taxi squad (i.e. waivers) - really don't want to lose him, so may need to be Roussel catching a taxi and bottom 6 such as:

Pearson Gaudette Sutter

Motte Beagle MacEwen

I'd wager one of Mac/Hawr are 13th F. But I wouldn't worry too much about waivers at the beginning of the year. Whoever gets sent down, likely goes down at the same time the rest of the league does its massive flush of players. Happens every year and guys rarely get picked off.