The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think this picture deserves a caption.

ErAFnH_XYAE4Ljg?format=jpg&name=large

Assistant coach: "Put your mask on properly Green.  You are not actively eating or singing the anthem." :bigblush:

or

Roussel: "I could have always been a puck moving D man.  Watch this!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well with Vancouver sharing a AHL team with STL, it is going to be a development team for sure

I just see, Benn, Eriksson and Baertschi all being on the taxi squad (these guys all give the Canucks 1,075,000 relief each = 3,225,000 cap space (minus games played)

Add on Hawryluk, Rafferty and Kielly

I just ask my self, if I am GM......do I really want my young guys sitting for days and weeks?

I am pretty sure all these guys could pass waivers, anytime they are called up

The only guy that has a chance of being on the Canucks main roster is Hawryluk

I agree with you on Taxi, but I would send Loui to AHL and give his spot to someone else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Myers is definitely better with the puck. Also faster.

Hamonic better defensively.

My guess is Hamonic will play with Hughes; the guy who settles our end so Hughes can roam... Balanced pairs; a defensively capable guy with size & a PMD on each pair.

But we could load up two puck movers on one couple?

I think either option is actually pretty good so we'll likely see it mixed up a bit.  One other element, is while Hamonic is a fairly tough customer (More than Tanev at least), Myers is a bigger physical deterrent for other teams.  This may be important within the Northern (Scotia, haha) Div as it will be a playoff like atmosphere within the first two weeks.

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Quick! Get away! Coach Green isn't wearing his mask properly!

17 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Assistant coach: "Put your mask on properly Green.  You are not actively eating or singing the anthem." :bigblush:

or

Roussel: "I could have always been a puck moving D man.  Watch this!"

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Catch me if you can.

Haha, these are great.

25 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Honestly, what about Benning / teams owned by Aquaman has ever suggested we will be sellers...

Last year at the fringe, we were buyers to give us the best chance. Just a reminder, the Tofu pattern. Fail to sell Hamhuis/// It is a clear profile?

I think that's highly situational, not some 'pattern' as you suggest.

We would have moved Hamhuis if we'd gotten worthwhile offers/weren't dicked around by DAL (who paid for it with an early playoff exit). 

We added Toffoli because they were expecting Boeser out and wanted to ensure some playoff experience.

Where does moving Vanek for Motte fall in this 'pattern'? Burrows? Granlund?

I'm not suggesting we'd only be sellers, regardless. We're almost certainly 'adding' Podkolzin, who will fit nicely on a bottom 6 W IMO (at least initially). If an injury doesn't create space for him, a trade certainly would. We may also 'buy' other traded for pieces at the TDL as well as selling off some/all of Sutter/Pearson/Baer/Benn whom are all expiring. That will depend on who's available, what teams need, how guys like Mac, Hawr, Lind Rath, Bries, etc progress this season, how healthy we are etc, etc.

But I think it's silly to assume we can't/won't sell any expiring guys.

• Wat 1

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think either option is actually pretty good so we'll likely see it mixed up a bit.  One other element, is while Hamonic is a fairly tough customer (More than Tanev at least), Myers is a bigger physical deterrent for other teams.  This may be important within the Northern (Scotia, haha) Div as it will be a playoff like atmosphere within the first two weeks.

Myers is more physically capable?  He was a top 5 pick for a reason. Great physical specimen, athletic ability, size, quickness...

But physicality is something Green seems to have coached in to Myers? He was never known for it in Buffalo & loathed by many Winnipeg fans cuz he did not bring it. Its worth mentioning; his new mean streak also was accompanied by an unprecedented # of penalties. He was in the box an awful lot during the play off's last year.  

Hamonic is by far the more polished physical player.  He's a big hitter, stands guys up at the line. Contains forwards in the corners, clears the net. Played more than 20 minutes a night for 10 straight NHL years. Most of it as a primary match up role, the toughest minutes on his NYI & Calgary teams. PK! Good enough with the puck, moving it out of his own end, that he was also one of two choices with Giordano. The other being Brodie. When it was defense that was wanted, it was his time on ice! 

I am as excited to see Hamonic as I was Myers last year.    

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree with you on Taxi, but I would send Loui to AHL and give his spot to someone else.

Vegas....I dislike LE

But I think it was Green that said he like his defense....Benning or him?????

But it is more the cap saving coupled with the kids icetime

I could care less about LE

Imagine if the kid was on the Taxi squad and did not get called for 2 months?

Then there is the problem of sitting a guy to bring in the kid, because you can not send him to the Taxi squad for without exposing him unless he is injured

even then......I am not sure what that agreement is.......

Hey, I could easily be wrong!

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Vegas....I dislike LE

But I think it was Green that said he like his defense....Benning or him?????

But it is more the cap saving coupled with the kids icetime

I could care less about LE

Imagine if the kid was on the Taxi squad and did not get called for 2 months?

Then there is the problem of sitting a guy to bring in the kid, because you can not send him to the Taxi squad for without exposing him unless he is injured

even then......I am not sure what that agreement is.......

Hey, I could easily be wrong!

"IF" he can keep up. I don't dislike LE, but I believe that his usefulness in the NHL has come to an end.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But I think it's silly to assume we can't/won't sell any expiring guys.

We sold Burrows, Vanek, Hansen in a period when even Lindenning, only begrudgingly admitted we made need to suggest we are rebuilding?  To galvanize fans.

It was a huge change in pattern.  One not seen before? Or since...

Can't? Sure..., we can. 

Will we?

Nope, we won't.  Its the realm of asset management by fans dreaming of goodies. Something extremely out of character for this owner, management. We could have sold last deadline? Nope, we added... 

No selling unless we are well & truly out of the race.  

Which I don't expect.

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

You do understand the Church of Virtanen isn’t actually a real thing, right?

Right?

You seem awfully bent out of shape about it. 

Seems like he came to camp in better shape and is playing hard in practice. Not sure where this rant is coming from. 

Yeah that was pretty bad.   Sorry wasn’t meant to be personal.   They live the life I and others could only dream of.   Worked with several ex fringe NHL hockey players that had to start behind their peer group without a loaded bank account in their mid-twenties and that’s where the rant is coming from.    I hope he’s (JV) finally getting it.   Your right to call me out - some days hitting the submit button should require a “are you sure you want it post this” button first.  I liked your thread last year / don’t take it personally, just venting but it wasn’t appropriate and I’m sorry. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Has the sports guys giddy...a good sign!

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Very encouraging. At this rate it looks like he'll make the team. The question is how he'll handle the NHL battle level playing with heavier guys like Bo/Pearson - and it doesn't seem to be a problem at all. 

Hoglander could be an established top 9 winger before Podkolzin is even with the team. Wouldn't that be something for a draft class.

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Schmidt is going to be such a difference maker.

With he & Hughes we'll have a play driver on each pair like we haven't had in so long. His addition alone could make our team better than alot are expecting.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

56 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well.  Hamonic and Myers could easily be swapped.  From what I recall Myers may be a slightly better puck mover than Hamonic which is why they may try Joulevi with Myers to give Joulevi a bit of insulation that way.  Hughes needs no help so Hamonic with him may work fairly well too.

Baertschi has had a lot of time off to heal, but also to reflect a bit.  If his health issues are fully behind him, then I think he makes this team better.  He could add some real skill and drive to the third line which could actually make that line a bit of a threat against weaker D pairings.  

It's a bit odd to not have Beagle in the lineup, but Sutter is the slight upgrade here.  Beagle and MacEwen slot in pretty seamlessly when injuries hit.

Yeah, Hamonic is probably the closest option to a Tanev replacement, so there seems to be a natural fit there with Hughes. I wouldn’t make too much of the pairing numbers, as the second pairing (Edler-Schmidt) could easily be the highest 5v5 minutes, and overal TOI, while Hughes may get limited (where possible) at 5v5, and same with Juolevi (and he’ll get sheltered). Special teams will up the total TOI for guys like Hughes and Myers, but we could easily see Edler and Schmidt being the highest overall minutes, followed closely by Hughes and Myers, and then Hamonic and Juolevi (regardless of how the 5v5 pairings are actually drawn up).

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

"IF" he can keep up. I don't dislike LE, but I believe that his usefulness in the NHL has come to an end.

Agree, he normally gets off to a decent start and works well with a line for half a dozen games or so and that gets moved down the lineup.

See him as a 13-14th forward as he can step into the bottom 6 pretty easy when players go down or lose their game.

Certainly not expecting any miracles from him after this many years of hoping..

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Myers is definitely better with the puck. Also faster.

Hamonic better defensively.

My guess is Hamonic will play with Hughes; the guy who settles our end so Hughes can roam... Balanced pairs; a defensively capable guy with size & a PMD on each pair.

But we could load up two puck movers on one couple?

I like the idea of 

Hughes-Hamonic

Edler-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

I really dislike the idea of Benn-Myers. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We sold Burrows, Vanek, Hansen in a period when even Lindenning, only begrudgingly admitted we made need to suggest we are rebuilding?  To galvanize fans.

Can't? Sure..., we can. 

Will we?

Nope, we won't.  Its the realm of asset management by fans dreaming of goodies. Something extremely out of character for this owner, management. We could have sold last deadline? Nope, we added... 

Which I don't expect.

We didn't really have saleable, expiring vets we knew weren't coming back last year. Nor did we have the ready, flush pool of prospects knocking on the door to take their places.

I'm sorry but declaring a hard 'no' about anything in the future is just plain silly.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Can't? Sure..., we can. 

Will we?

Which I don't expect.

Bieksa? Garrison? Lack? Even Nilsson was moved for a pick so we could bring up Demko.

We have sold, we just haven't had a firesale.

Why would we sell at the last deadline? We were competing for a playoff spot. We also had no idea on the implications of the pandemic that would affect the cap and market which would play a huge factor in who we may have sold, although I don't know who we would have.

• Cheers 1