The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its a BS conversation.

Wannabe armchair GM's counting asset sales like it was Christmas cookie time. When there is zero reason to expect it.

So why engage the narrative?

We have an exciting young team; Hoglander, Hughes, Pettersson, Demko, Boeser... In a cap mad world we managed to replace Tanev & Stecher with Hamonic & Schmidt. Added a Vezina goaltender with a cup ring. After knocking off the reigning Stanley Cup winners. But we're whipping up conversations about selling rentals? Yes it was you setting that expectation up.

I just don't get why you would bring that up at all.

Nope. Clearly over your head.

• Wat 1

44 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I think unless we are dead in the water at the TDL this team will be looking to add.

It's the reason Benning is waiting till the last moment to LTIR MF IMO.

With the playoff format guaranteeing a Canadian team in the final 4 and no cap issues in the playoffs + owners who have always put winning first, I don't see a scenario where we see the vets on expiring contracts moved, especially since they wouldn't be worth much. 

You can add while still moving out expiring players. This isn't an all or nothing situation. 

23 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I don't disagree with you but who's actually taking Sutter? Pearson is decent but Sutter might be a hard deal with the cap and all. 

I mean the Canucks wouldn't take Sutter for free based on the cap.

Sutter with less than a 1/4 of his cap remaining and potentially 50% retained its easily moveable.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Kassian seemed capable of discussing it without reductive, all our nothing absolutes.

So yeah.

Any more?  

A minute ago ''not willing'' to consider selling at the deadline was reductive.  Thats trolling by the way. 

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You can add while still moving out expiring players. This isn't an all or nothing situation.

And then here you are being willing to add as well.

Guess you are just open minded.

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Any more?  

A minute ago ''not willing'' to consider selling at the deadline was reductive.  Thats trolling by the way. 

And then here you are being willing to add as well.

Guess you are just open minded.

I already posted way back that we could add at the same time as selling expiring guys. Maybe quit while you're 'ahead' Mr Absolute?

Trolling :lol: ok surfer... Take a breath buds. Maybe the stress of the gold medal game is getting to you :lol:

A legit nhl’er is getting the boot for opening night but everyone will play this year 

I still have hoglander as a long shot to make it but it surely is possible 

Miller-petey-boeser

pearson-horvat-gaudette

motte-sutter-virtanen 

roussel-beagle-macewan

Hawryluk-graovac

edler-schmidt

hughes-myers

juolevi-hamonic

benn

taxi squad/quick call ups/practice squad:

Eriksson 

bailey

Sautner

Kielly

The Canucks will want the younger players to be playing games in utica or in Europe 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Saw a bit of your & Surfer's conversation. I'd be shocked if they move Pearson. It's just too important a player right now, they aren't going to move him with no replacement.

Its not traditionally Benning's way to make that sort of move midway through a season IMO. (when we are legitimately a playoff team/in a playoff race).

Think back to Matthias in 2015 - who was a good but slightly less important piece than Pearson is now - and it was a time when that sort of move for the future would've made much more sense. 

Sutter I could see. He's more or less redundant with Beagle, especially if Gaud can be more reliable on draws. Pearson they'll use a 'self-rental' before dealing him for futures IMO. 

why do you think would we trade a centre? if one or god forbid two goes down, we are in real bad shape. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

How about we worry about trades closer  to the deadline lol!

There won’t be any trades at all this year as this is a short rushed season and if trading with American team its a 14 day quarantine and not worth the risk that player missing around 7 games, I don’t see Canadian teams trading with each other as playing each other so many times would be trading to a rival 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Filthy McNasty said:

There won’t be any trades at all this year as this is a short rushed season and if trading with American team its a 14 day quarantine and not worth the risk that player missing around 7 games, I don’t see Canadian teams trading with each other as playing each other so many times would be trading to a rival 

Exactly! They aren’t gonna move anyone. Depth is going to be super important this year, more then ever. The Benns, the sutters will leave via free agency this year. So it’s even more redundant to talk about it. Maybe there’s a chance at the deadline. One can dream. I personally don’t care but it makes more sense to

talk about it closer too 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Good point. I never thought about that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canuktravella said:

they will need to make moves once podzolkin  arrives  at end of april  pearson and sutter are def gone by deadline  also  hoglanders steaking a spot time to waive eriksson 

we will definetley not "need" to make any moves. we will be available to have cap space for vasily and hamonic if they sign for a combined 3.3 million

Edited by Petey_BOI

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

podzolkin is nhl ready hes gonna be inserted  with out missing a beat  literally  pearson makes 4 mill  id rather have hoglander podzolkin motte and macewen  making the same    we can aquire a second rounder for pearson  at deadline. we can get a 4th for sutter and a 5th for baertchi amd a 4th for benn. This teams been over paying vets for yrs time for the whole youth movement  good thing benning already said podz will be playing on team as soon as khl season is over 

so we can get ruined at the first injury? what about the second injury? the third?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Sutter with less than a 1/4 of his cap remaining and potentially 50% retained its easily moveable.

while this is true you can add while subtracting, but 1 this is covid year! we will not trade sutter for a replacement that arrives 14 days later. and 2 benning hinted at that he was not gonna make any moves two days ago. there is a very slim chance we will be sellers and only if there's literally no chance of making the playoffs, we cant afford to be shorthanded for 14 days. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hughes-Hamonic

Edler-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

I really dislike the idea of Benn-Myers. 

I proposed;

Hughes Hamonic

Schmidt Meyers      To get Schmiddy on his natural side

Edler Rafferty

But I like yours better.

• Thanks 1