The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Here is a possible situation; some other gm calls and proposes a deal.

It'll be interesting in a few days if there's a flurry of movement once coaches get a look at what they have. You'd have to wait a week into the regular season to move up a guy form the US but I could see that happening if the wait wasn't too long. 

Bringing in Schmidt and now Hamonic should be enough for most of us though :lol:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This team has the most solid D it has had since their 2010 era and perhaps best in entire Division (certainly top 5 in league now....at least on paper).   The upgrade with TH and Schmidty, they could to a top pairing duo by themselves for about 1/2 the teams in the league, when you still have Edler, Hughes, Meyers and actual competition for the other two or three rotational spots is a luxury this team hasn't had in about 10 years.    I personally hate projections in such odd times but everything I can come up with has the improvement on the back-end more than making up for any losses in net (if there is actually any).   My largest concern going into the season for your Canucks is the lack of one more true top six winger.    Fingers crossed Virtanen steps up or NH is as potentially could be but one more top winger would be needed, in my mind, for this team to be a lock to play past the regular season.   Right now I think it could go either way and a lot will depend on the first 10 games (momentum never more important than this year).

Totally agree on the upgrade, getting Schmidt for a bag of magic beans was a huge coup for Benning. 

Yup this is Jakes moment. He's physically ready. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think the team should assign Eriksson to Utica, if he refuses to report, we can just terminate his contract. JB wouldn't do it though because he is afraid to burn the bridges and have future FA players not wanting to sign here.

However, my argument is that the Canucks had given Eriksson all the time and patience since he arrived. It is time to just send a message that Vancouver isn't a place where a big name can just sign a big contract to coast until retirement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I think the team should assign Eriksson to Utica, if he refuses to report, we can just terminate his contract. JB wouldn't do it though because he is afraid to burn the bridges and have future FA players not wanting to sign here.

However, my argument is that the Canucks had given Eriksson all the time and patience since he arrived. It is time to just send a message that Vancouver isn't a place where a big name can just sign a big contract to coast until retirement.

I don't think that situation would have any impact on future FAs.  There is a certain expectation around performance, and Eriksson is well below that.  I think FAs could actually see that as a positive in that the Canucks would do what it takes to build a winner.  

• Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

Here is a possible situation; some other gm calls and proposes a deal.

yeah i suppose that would be a situation that may make him reconsider, but i imagine jim's response would be something along the lines of "were not looking to trade away any player's, unless it improves our team" maybe a hockey trade will happen, but not very likely at the trade deadline, possibly march.

but a trade is still very unlikely because of all the reasons i mentioned before.

49 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

As much as I’d love it I just don’t think Green will have enough trust in The Hog in his own end to put him in the lineup for opening night. 

When I look at his modest SHL numbers I do wonder if Hogs game, and ability to produce points, will actually translate better in NHL sized rinks when you look at his small space agility and high end stick skills. Word is he is strong for a smaller player so there is every chance that a compressed ice surface will help his game. Looking at Hogs numbers in the SHL also makes you realize just how remarkable EP’s final SHL season was. 

I'm glad Hogs looks good, but people need to remember he's been playing games for the last few months, whereas everyone else has just been working out.  Hogs has a huge advantage over everyone else.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

This is ruthless. It's apparent that Eriksson has put in the effort, but his game has declined significantly. No one in their right mind would intentionally tank their career at this stage, knowing that everything they will be remembered for is their decline.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

This is ruthless. It's apparent that Eriksson has put in the effort, but his game has declined significantly. No one in their right mind would intentionally tank their career at this stage, knowing that everything they will be remembered for is their decline.

I seem to remember people being moderately satisfied with his playoffs

• Like 1